New Chain? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Chain?

As long as it's not rusted, there's no binding and there's no need for frequent adjustments, it should be ok. Do a 1-2-1-2-1-2... service every 500km (1 = lube, 2 = clean and lube).

Without knowing the history of the bike, I'd say if it's a matter of your safety, play it safe and change the chain. (And sprockets too generally.) If nothing else, it'll bring you peace of mind. However, the chain could very well have been replaced during the previous owner's use, so it's hard to say whether you'll be wasting your money or not.

That said, how much mileage is there on the bike? I bought my '05 V-Strom with 23,500km on it, and wound up replacing the chain & sprockets at just over 30k. That's actually a bit early for many bikes, but the previous owner hadn't taken good care of the chain and the O-rings had degraded to the point of leaking the internal lubricant.

If it's in good condition I wouldn't worry about it. If it looks good chains don't just loose strength. Worse case scenario the seals might be weaker and your chain might degrade faster if it's that old, but when the time comes you will know when the chain needs to be replaced.

14k on the bike when I got it close to 17k on it now, it appears in good shape such that I though it was a newer chain as I didn' think a 94 chain would last that long....not km's but age wise.

Find the master link and make sure it appears "normal". At 17 k and the chain is still on there is a good sign its not going anywhere. I don't get much more than 20 k out of honda oem chains perhaps you will do better with kawasaki. Look at your swingarm and check to see how much chain adjustment is left. This will be the guide as to when you should be looking to buy a replacement chain.

I got 40,000k out of my stock R6 chain. I never cleaned it once (I don't believe in cleaning them) but lubed it religiously (every 400km's).

-Jamie M.

Back
Top Bottom