New 1390 superduke... | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New 1390 superduke...

Big fan of the 5 engine back-torque settings... minor fan of the 5 wheelie control settings.

No intention at all to update, the 1290R is already a bull in a china shop and a BT-Moto tune or preferably a universal tune (they're open-sourced and can be edited) will give me the power bump and a lot more attitude for the bike I have, to match the 1390R's updates. If I didn't have a 2023 1290R I'd be tempted but I'm not 100% sure I could do that headlight/taillight combo. Having to convince myself and others that it wasn't horrendously ugly would be tough. Looks like a Honda owner's camel toe.
Any experience with the BT tune on the 1290? It was good on my BMW but I think a lot of that was the removal of throttle and torque limiters, something the KTM mill doesn't have.
BT customer service is rather chitty so I'd rather not give them any more of my money.
BTW if anyone with a performance BMW wants a BT intake air temp relocate I've got a new one for $20.

Any experience with the BT tune on the 1290? It was good on my BMW but I think a lot of that was the removal of throttle and torque limiters, something the KTM mill doesn't have.
BT customer service is rather chitty so I'd rather not give them any more of my money.
BTW if anyone with a performance BMW wants a BT intake air temp relocate I've got a new one for $20.
Really? I've had nothing but good experiences with Chris and his team, that sucks.

They recently launched a revised tune for the 1290 as i recall, previously they said the motor is already so good there's not much else there to do.

Really? I've had nothing but good experiences with Chris and his team, that sucks.

They recently launched a revised tune for the 1290 as i recall, previously they said the motor is already so good there's not much else there to do.
It still says that.
"The KTM 1290 in stock format isn’t very restricted, lean, rich, nor under-timed. The tune itself isn’t going to be a powerhouse on the dyno like other bikes in the market that often have 60% throttle restrictions at wide-open throttle. While still a stock bike, including tune, you should feel a drastic change in rideability and rev-range. With modifications we can extract larger power gains. (See below)"

You're not going to get more than about 5hp (everywhere, though) out of a tune, with a slip-on on a 3rd gen Super Duke, apparently.

What you do get is better throttle response and an increased richness in throttle transitions which are a little lean. This is pretty common with many modern motors, my RSV4 for instance didn't really make more power than stock with the "race" tune but the throttle transitions cleaned up markedly. If you're on track that can be a big deal, so suspension and tire don't get sudden shocks of torque (whether back or forward).

The people who have used a tune in these (which is essentially the same as KTM's "offroad" tune you get with their offroad exhaust) swear by them.

You're not going to get more than about 5hp (everywhere, though) out of a tune, with a slip-on on a 3rd gen Super Duke, apparently.

What you do get is better throttle response and an increased richness in throttle transitions which are a little lean. This is pretty common with many modern motors, my RSV4 for instance didn't really make more power than stock with the "race" tune but the throttle transitions cleaned up markedly. If you're on track that can be a big deal, so suspension and tire don't get sudden shocks of torque (whether back or forward).

The people who have used a tune in these (which is essentially the same as KTM's "offroad" tune you get with their offroad exhaust) swear by them.
I never really messed with MSR too much, if I recall you cant modulate it on gen 3 right? But you can deactivate it?
(cant recall if its independent or tied to TC)

I never really messed with MSR too much, if I recall you cant modulate it on gen 3 right? But you can deactivate it?
(cant recall if its independent or tied to TC)
As far as I can tell MSR is modulated on/off only for the Gen3. It'd be great to have 5 levels of it.

I mean, I can live with it just fine, but ... that's one area of the bike - along with the new gearing - that makes me a little jealous of the 1390R.

What doesn't is the rumor that it will be built in Asia by the same companies building the 390 etc.

@Shaman very interesting, so it seems in order to turn off MSR(engine braking control) you have to turn off TC... OR
put the ABS in supermoto mode...
1701540304687.png
1701540423756.png

I know it says you can put in track mode and that turns off MSR, but I ride exclusively in track mode and it allows me to control TC levels...so Im assuming if TC is on, MSR is too.

I'm researching this because I often experience this weird behavior when decelerating in a spirited manner and rolling off the throttle, the fueling kind of behaves funny, it kind of surges and decelerates in a 'non linear' fashion...I have a strong suspicion its because of the MSR...which is supposed to 'add revs' during strong deceleration...

I think my old superduke did this as well

Last edited:
very interesting, so it seems in order to turn off MSR(engine braking control) you have to turn off TC... OR
put the ABS in supermoto mode...
View attachment 64657
View attachment 64658

I know it says you can put in track mode and that turns off MSR, but I ride exclusively in track mode and it allows me to control TC...so Im assuming if TC is on, MSR is too.

I'm researching this because I often experience this weird behavior when decelerating in a spirited manner and rolling off the throttle, the fueling kind of behaves funny, it kind of surges and decelerates in a 'non linear' fashion...I have a strong suspicion its because of the MSR...which is supposed to 'add revs' during strong deceleration...

I think my old superduke did this as well
So is MSR trying to save the slipper clutch by decreasing engine braking?

Can confirm, you can disable the MSR if you disable the TC, but you also have the option of going with the SM abs mode, which keeps TC and front ABS, but disables rear ABS along with MSR (yay!)

Also cleaned the garage, and found an old fz6 haynes manual with all the wiring diagrams etc if someone wants.
and a galfer steel braided rear brake line for the fz6, with all the hardware and original packaging as well.

Doesnt look as bad as the initial sketches
1703049526441.png

good lord have mercy, we finally have prices
Not gonna lie, I thought for sure the SMT would be more money
1704431111806.png

1704431174278.png

1704431068637.png

Like many manufacturers, they’ve had presence in china and India for a while, with the current economic climate, they’re moving more of their operations to china.

I’m hoping this means lower prices for us

Like many manufacturers, they’ve had presence in china and India for a while, with the current economic climate, they’re moving more of their operations to china.

I’m hoping this means lower prices for us
in my previous automotive gig, india was cheaper mfg costs but freight was more.

in my previous automotive gig, india was cheaper mfg costs but freight was more.
makes sense, chinese labor costs arent what they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom