Negative antigen tests for border crossing as of Feb 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Negative antigen tests for border crossing as of Feb 28

Relax

I've been trying to understand this new option for entering Canada, specifically the underlined portions:
  1. Starting February 28: proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken outside of Canada no more than 1 day before your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
    • the one day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time of your flight or entry
    • for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
    • the test must be performed outside of Canada

Does this mean I can bring a home test kit with me on a day trip to the US, then use my Telus Health phone app there to have a nurse watch me test myself?

I've been trying to understand this new option for entering Canada, specifically the underlined portions:
  1. Starting February 28: proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken outside of Canadano more than 1 day before your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
    • the one day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time of your flight or entry
    • for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
    • the test must be performed outside of Canada

Does this mean I can bring a home test kit with me on a day trip to the US, then use my Telus Health phone app there to have a nurse watch me test myself?
Sounds like it.

I don't know about doing it yourself with your own RAT. I would contact Telus Health before your trip to see what their recent experience is. Pharmacies are giving free RAT's and the sheet that gets you back in. Make sure you have all documentation in ArriveCan app prior to crossing back in.

I don't know about doing it yourself with your own RAT. I would contact Telus Health before your trip to see what their recent experience is. Pharmacies are giving free RAT's and the sheet that gets you back in. Make sure you have all documentation in ArriveCan app prior to crossing back in.

If you mean Canadian pharmacies, those aren't allowed since the rule says the test must be taken outside of Canada. And the American ones state that to get the free test, you need to show proof of (presumably American) insurance. Paid tests are $65 USD. It's almost a wash to just get a PCR test over here before leaving for $80 CAD. I'll contact both Telus Health to make sure they can provide proof, and CBSA to clarify, if I can remember to call them during office hours.

I saw one place that had drive-thru antigen tests, but the price was $150 US per person.

If you mean Canadian pharmacies, those aren't allowed since the rule says the test must be taken outside of Canada. And the American ones state that to get the free test, you need to show proof of (presumably American) insurance. Paid tests are $65 USD. It's almost a wash to just get a PCR test over here before leaving for $80 CAD. I'll contact both Telus Health to make sure they can provide proof, and CBSA to clarify, if I can remember to call them during office hours.
I know a number of people that got free RAT's at Walgreens.

I know a number of people that got free RAT's at Walgreens.

Wow. I checked Walgreen's web site and if you select rapid antigen test, the closest locations are in Virginia. I guess I can try calling a Niagara location as well. If they do, then there's no reason to avoid US day trips!

I had also checked Rite-Aid - their free testing requires government-issued ID, and results take 2-7 days.

I saw this recently…might be worth checking into. Full disclosure: I have not used the service.

Telehealth Virtual Rapid Antigen Testing through Medione Specialty Pharmacy.

You book an appt and a nurse observes you taking the test (via Zoom) and issues documentation in less than 30 minutes that gets you out of, or back into Canada.

You can take with you, and use an approved test (ie the ones they were handing out free at grocery stores and malls)…or buy their test kit.

Cost looks quite reasonable too.

$25 if you supply your own test.
$30 if you buy theirs.

www.medionerx.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My neighbour has been to a few Sabres home games. He's never needed a test, just the ap on his phone.

A post from RedFlagdeals:
As told last week, here's my experience with WM Life Centers | Health Care Your Way and using their services.

Travelled to Metro Detroit area Sat Mar 5. Land border crossing. Ambassador Bridge Windsor both ways.
Used rapid tests prior to departure to confirm negative cases - Green Box - BTNX Rapid Response
Booked test through lifecenters.ca and brought the green box - BTNX Rapid Response rapid antigen tests with us that we got from a local Canadian Pharmacy
Had a Google meet invite sent to me for the booked timeslot.
Logged in at my sister's house in Metro Detroit at the required time.
Nurse on the other end greeted us and instructed how she would like us to show and conduct the test
She took our information (Nexus Card numbers and pertinent personal info) and watched us complete the procedure.
Then we positioned the phone over the test blocks and she monitored them for the required 15 minutes.
We all tested negative again. Documents were emailed to me within the half hour.
Total time for the whole process was about 30 minutes.
Printed documents out ant did the ArriveCan app trip.
When arrived at the border, the agent had our ArriveCan information and asked for proof of negative tests.
He asked how we thought the service was, and we indicated that it was great.
He also informed us that the current backlog at the Ambassador Duty Free for their rapid test service was a 3.5 hour wait.
Total time at the border agent gate - less than 5 minutes.

I would absolutely use lifecenters.ca again for their services. Let's all hope though that they eliminate the need for testing at the border for fully vaccinated travellers.

We have booked all our hotel stops for a trip to the east cost, last two weeks of June. Two up on the bike. Three of those stays are in US. We are hoping these restrictions will have been lifted by then.

Maybe we should also book hotels on this side of the boarder for the same nights just in case? Then cancel the ones we won't need.

Wow. I checked Walgreen's web site and if you select rapid antigen test, the closest locations are in Virginia. I guess I can try calling a Niagara location as well. If they do, then there's no reason to avoid US day trips!

I had also checked Rite-Aid - their free testing requires government-issued ID, and results take 2-7 days.
Consider the ID NOW test at Walgreens. It's a molecular test (NAAT) and as a bonus it's good for 72 hours before returning. They say 24 hours for results but I got mine within 30 minutes (so YMMV).

Consider the ID NOW test at Walgreens. It's a molecular test (NAAT) and as a bonus it's good for 72 hours before returning. They say 24 hours for results but I got mine within 30 minutes (so YMMV).

As long as I can get it within the few hours I'd be there for. So is it also free for Canadians, or what do they charge?

I would contact the CSBA. What the media and politician say might be (probably) different at the border where it really matters.

As long as I can get it within the few hours I'd be there for. So is it also free for Canadians, or what do they charge?
It's free for Canadians, need to enter a US address though. When I did it, I showed by Ontario drivers license. They do say 24 hours but I've heard others getting results in 30-60 minutes.

It's free for Canadians, need to enter a US address though. When I did it, I showed by Ontario drivers license. They do say 24 hours but I've heard others getting results in 30-60 minutes.
1910 Great Falls Street, McLean, VA. 22101

Feel free to pirate my old address

Back
Top Bottom