Need to winterize your bike? Here is a list of things to do | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need to winterize your bike? Here is a list of things to do

DOHC1

Every year theres threads with people asking what to do in order to winterize your bike, so I've compiled a checklist of what I've normally done, to make things easier for people doing it for the first time. If you guys have anything you wish to add, post below and I will add it in.

Above all, remember that your bike is fairly durable, and it takes a lot of stupidity to screw a bike up over 3-4 months of storage; In the past, I've left bikes with just a battery tender, and they've started right up in the spring. Follow these steps if you want to be thorough, and you will be fine.
The points in bold should be considered the most important.

DO:

1. Top up the gas tank (preferably shell 91, as it has no ethanol)
2. Add fuel stabilizer from Canadian Tire
3. Run the bike for a few mins to get the fuel stabilizer through the system.
(Note: If you have a carbureted bike, you may want to drain the float bowls)
4. Change the oil + filter. No, you don’t need to change the oil again in the spring unless you are paranoid and rich. The new oil will just sit in the oil pan over the winter. People won't think twice about letting a jug of oil sit for a year on the shelf, but seem to get paranoid about it getting "old" once it has been poured into the bike. It will simply sit in the oil pan until it is used next spring.
5. Wash + wax
6. Clean and lube the chain
7. Put the battery on a Battery Tender. You can pick one up at Canadian tire.
8. Optional: put bike on stands to keep tires off the ground. Tires on the ground wont do any damage either, perhaps move it a few feet every few weeks if you are concerned
9. Cover the exhaust hole with a sock to keep critters out
10. Top up the air in the tires
11. Throw a motorcycle cover or a sheet on top

DON’T:

1. Start the bike during the winter to “warm it up”. Unless you reach full operational temperature, moisture will develop. Just leave it alone.

Last edited:
Another winterizing thread? lol

Great tips, I hadn't thought about the sock one.

Why change the oil/ filter before winter? I just changed mine 1500 kms ago so would it be okay?

I'm riding a 2015 CBR600RR

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I don't get the idea of changing the oil now, leave the old crap in it, just before the season starts and your ready for your first ride, drain the old crap, put in a new filter and fresh oil, and go ride....

Why have brand new oil in a bike and then have it sit there all winter, it just don't make sense to me.....

But do as you wish.....

Last edited:
I don't get the idea of changing the oil now, leave the old crap in it, just before the season starts and your ready for your first ride, drain the old crap, put in a new filter and oil, and go ride....

Why have brand new oil in a bike and then have it sit there all winter, it just don't make sense to me.....

But do as you wish.....

I thought the idea was that old oil could have more moisture content in it than new. I've heard of people that put cheap dino in for winter and switch out for the expensive synthetic come Spring but that seems excessive to me.

I don't get the idea of changing the oil now, leave the old crap in it, just before the season starts and your ready for your first ride, drain the old crap, put in a new filter and oil, and go ride....

But do as you wish.....

My understanding is that used oil becomes mildly acidic so leaving it to sit for awhile isn't the best for your engine. Also, used oil supposedly deteriorates on its own (which is why there is a time limit AND mileage limit on oil changes) while new oil has an almost unlimited shelf life.

I'm no expert but that was my understanding.

I don't see why it makes a difference to you if you change it now, leave it all winter, then use it in the summer or leave it all winter, then change in the summer, and ride then. Either way you're using the same amount of oil. The only difference is in one case your bike sat with nice clean oil in it while in the other you left it to sit with the crap oil in it all winter.

My understanding is that used oil becomes mildly acidic so leaving it to sit for awhile isn't the best for your engine. Also, used oil supposedly deteriorates on its own (which is why there is a time limit AND mileage limit on oil changes) while new oil has an almost unlimited shelf life.

I'm no expert but that was my understanding.

I don't see why it makes a difference to you if you change it now, leave it all winter, then use it in the summer or leave it all winter, then change in the summer, and ride then. Either way you're using the same amount of oil. The only difference is in one case your bike sat with nice clean oil in it while in the other you left it to sit with the crap oil in it all winter.

my oil don't sit in my engine, so to speak, it all sits in the oil pan, way down at the bottom of the bike, and when I pull out that drain plug it all comes out, oil, water, any nasties, and so on...

I guess I like to get reacquainted with my bike come the new season, change the oil, the filter, check the battery, cables, look for mice nests, and so on, makes me confident all is good to go before that first ride....

How many in the Spring, are going to say "Ah, it's such a great day today, I think I'll change my oil.", compared to "Ah, it's such a great day today, I think I'll go for a ride."?

People whip themselves into such a frenzy about "winter storage." It's a few of months, folks, not years. Clean a few things, top up the gas and stabilize it, tend the battery, cover it and go snowboarding or something.

It's still be there when you uncover it in March. The oil won't have gone rancid and your engine won't be ruined if you go for a ride without changing it before the first ride.

People whip themselves into such a frenzy about "winter storage." It's a few of months, folks, not years. Clean a few things, top up the gas and stabilize it, tend the battery, cover it and go snowboarding or something.

It's still be there when you uncover it in March. The oil won't have gone rancid and your engine won't be ruined if you go for a ride without changing it before the first ride.

Agreed! But as a new rider I was completely lost on what is necessary/what is optional. I am hoping this list becomes a reference point for those who are new to riding.

Agreed! But as a new rider I was completely lost on what is necessary/what is optional. I am hoping this list becomes a reference point for those who are new to riding.

Necessary: Nothing.
Optional: Anything else.

I agree and your list is fine. I just know people will come in here and start WWIII and a pointless 20 page argument will ensue about insipid details of this, that or the other.

Is this mice issue really a thing? I've never seen a mouse anywhere near my property. But I have read that people have had them chew through wire harnesses.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Is this mice issue really a thing? I've never seen a mouse anywhere near my property. But I have read that people have had them chew through wire harnesses.

They ate the wiring on my mom's minivan twice in one year. Although it almost never even gets moved.

Damn.

Given the popularity of these winterization posts you'd think there would be a sticky at the top of the Technical forum.....yes that is sarcasm.

My understanding is that used oil becomes mildly acidic
Very true...you can get a bacteria in there as well that causes your oil to smell like @ss.
And mice...also true. You will see shredded up fluff from the nest under your bike...also smells like @ss!!! LOL

Wow. Those buggers go anywhere

Back
Top Bottom