Need a new laptop... have no idea | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a new laptop... have no idea

Bump!
The vertical lines are getting worse on the screen and it's time for a replacement laptop. The local shop said $185 to fix, so I figure I'll buy an off-lease or similar for $300. It's for my 79 yr old mother in law who uses it for emails, some basic web browsing and basic games like solitaire, so doesn't need to be fancy.

Looking for PC laptop with a minimum 14" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB HDD.

My wife could use one as well, so I would be fine to buy 2 of the same kind at once.
Any suggestions?
Working on it,.

Stay tuned.

Budget?

Bump!
The vertical lines are getting worse on the screen and it's time for a replacement laptop. The local shop said $185 to fix, so I figure I'll buy an off-lease or similar for $300. It's for my 79 yr old mother in law who uses it for emails, some basic web browsing and basic games like solitaire, so doesn't need to be fancy.

Looking for PC laptop with a minimum 14" screen, 8gb RAM, 256GB HDD.

My wife could use one as well, so I would be fine to buy 2 of the same kind at once.
Any suggestions?
Agree with the ipad suggestion, if you can. We got a computer for my parents years ago, but they didn't use it much. Once my mom got a iPad though it clicked with her and she can't put the dam thing down.

Thoughts on a casual use device ....
- Laptop
Could be overkill for the purpose of emails and web browsing. A Windows laptop will need a wee bit of familiarity for it's maintenance and are the most targeted by hackers. A Linux laptop less so (try the Mint O/S), though it may have a problem for drivers for some external devices.
- Tablet
An Android tablet will fit the bill except for the virtual keyboard and the screen real-estate it takes up. Not all are comfortable with a virtual keyboard especially for those with reduced digital dexterity.
A Surface aka Windows tablet comes with the disadvantages of a WIN machine and the detachable keyboard is not as robust.
An iPad (no disrespect to those with a liking for Apple products) is less of a mainstream device and one will still need to use the virtual keyboard.
-Chrome Book
IMO, this is a best-in-case choice and if storage if more storage is required, a USB drive/SD card/External Drive can suffice.
Commonly used apps can be downloaded from the Google store, most are free and there are no licence fees (example, MS Office for a WIN O/S device)

My comment is provided in good faith and is based on the need for a senior with just email and web browsing as major usage.
Please do your own due diligence before purchase.

Thanks for the suggestions - tablets and otherwise.

Unfortunately for her she has some pretty strong side effects from her various cancer treatments, so tablets won't work (finger dexterity, nerve damage and so on). She needs to use a dedicated mouse and keyboard, and also likes a 14" screen or larger, so I might as well go with a laptop. I want to keep it at Windows for her because she is also averse to change! It is a bit overkill for her extremely limited type of use, but I would like to get her something that as closely matches what she currently has, to limit the learning curve.

If I didn't nag her, she would continue using her broken screen on her laptop.

Thanks for the suggestions - tablets and otherwise.

Unfortunately for her she has some pretty strong side effects from her various cancer treatments, so tablets won't work (finger dexterity, nerve damage and so on). She needs to use a dedicated mouse and keyboard, and also likes a 14" screen or larger, so I might as well go with a laptop. I want to keep it at Windows for her because she is also averse to change! It is a bit overkill for her extremely limited type of use, but I would like to get her something that as closely matches what she currently has, to limit the learning curve.

If I didn't nag her, she would continue using her broken screen on her laptop.

Have you tried the dictation software built in to most OS? There’s also a facility to read back emails etc. They are reasonably advanced now and can be useful and it also means less keyboard time and less time trying to see small text etc. Depending on the operating system there’s likely voice operated commands too like “send an email to...”, etc.

Have you tried the dictation software built in to most OS? There’s also a facility to read back emails etc. They are reasonably advanced now and can be useful and it also means less keyboard time and less time trying to see small text etc. Depending on the operating system there’s likely voice operated commands too like “send an email to...”, etc.
Thanks - that's a great idea. I'll try to see if I can get her using that.

x2 a tablet instead. It's way less work in the end and you won't be back in 3 weeks fixing their browser that looks like this.

1621382829694.png

That said, I want to say I suggested tablet earlier in this thread as well and there was some reason that wasn't in the cards. I forget.

x2 a tablet instead. It's way less work in the end and you won't be back in 3 weeks fixing their browser that looks like this.

View attachment 48846

That said, I want to say I suggested tablet earlier in this thread as well and there was some reason that wasn't in the cards. I forget.
That picture is awesome.
I use a tablet for work and have one for travelling. The ladies in my life prefer the laptops.

This is what I ended up with a year or two ago. I wanted something that I could take on the bike and plan my routes.
It's over your budget from this site, but I got a better deal from the kids' community college store at the time.
The only flaw for me is that the 4GB memory is hardwired in, and can't be upgraded. I've dropped a TB SSD into it, and dropped it a few times. It keeps coming back for more. It can be used as a tablet (touchscreen), the ASUS pen also works with it, and it has a dedicated keyboard. Mousewise, you'd be best to get a usb hub as there's only a mini A and a C port.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-64gb-emmc-4gb-ram-win-10-s-open-box/15003160

Back
Top Bottom