Need a garage door opener. Belt, chain or side-mount? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a garage door opener. Belt, chain or side-mount?

If you do it yourself, you should be able to get an 8500 for ~500, if you want wifi and some other doodads, 8500w is ~100 more. Although an outlet should be installed close to the opener, many openers have been run on extension cords for decades with no issues. It is in an area where the cord is not subject to physical damage.

Yup, I installed mine myself and it was a snap. Way easier than a typical opener.

By the way, you’re supposed to detach the opener and check that the counterweight springs are able to hold the door open every once in a while or you will end up damaging the opener. That’s for all openers.

Good luck @DJM. I went with a decent Chamberlain belt setup a few years back and it was nice. I installed it myself in a new home and it isn't rocket science if you're a bit of a DIY person. My current home has an old school Stanley chain garage door opener; it's old and still going which is impressive, but that belt drive sure was quieter and better overall in my experience for home use.

If you have an old door with old tracks and metal wheels, regardless of what opener you use, the majority of noise will still be there.
Replaced both doors with composite earlier this year, and the new wheels (feels like poly bushing material) and track made a significant reduction in noise.

Back
Top Bottom