Need a 400-600km ride idea for this week. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a 400-600km ride idea for this week.

Well, down there we take what we can get. Just because a road happens to be scenic doesn't mean its not worth riding.
Straight flat roads through pastoral orchards and farm fields may be scenic, but I think the topic of discussion is the road itself, not so much the scenery along side.

Straight flat roads through pastoral orchards and farm fields may be scenic, but I think the topic of discussion is the road itself, not so much the scenery along side.

You must be thinking of a different road. The Niagara Parkway basically follows the shore of Niagara River. No orchards or farm fields.

Sorry I find everything to the west and northwest boring, so I have nothing to offer.
Within 400-600km of the GTA I only go north or northeast.
Shane is spot on. West of the 400 we live with what I have heard referred to as "The Curse of the British Surveyor". You have to look long and hard to find bits that aren't just so much straight line.

Mineral Springs is the best I’ve found. There’s enough windy roads and elevation changes in the general area around the escarpment (Ancaster Hamilton Burlington). Link them up the right way and you have a few hours of decent riding...you may need to ride some straight roads or slab to get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mineral Springs is the best I’ve found. There’s enough windy roads and elevation changes in the general area around the escarpment (Ancaster Hamilton Burlington). Link them up the right way and you have a few hours of decent riding...you may need to ride some straight roads or slab to get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess he could hit up all the small sections around hamilton/burlington for a change (snake road, rattlesnake point, mineral springs, sulphur springs, old dundas rd, etc).

if anyone's up in that Madawaska area looking for a bit of forest road fun
head south out of Quadeville and follow the river road
a bunch of stops along the way where you can go down to waterfalls etc for a rest/snack
takes about an hour at a smell the roses pace and you end up out on hwy 41
gravel road but in good condition, any bike would be fine on it

TqKEyQU.png

a bunch of stops along the way where you can go down to waterfalls etc for a rest/snack

TqKEyQU.png
Obviously not a 600 km run, but it would be fun sometime to hit all of the 5xx roads. In general, they seem to be nice riding roads. 533 is nice, but it is a hike to get there and not worth the travel but if you planned a route linking them all it could be a good adventure.

TqKEyQU.png

Thanks. That actually looks awesome and it's a road that's never been on my radar.

Now, the decision to go run off this week and ride it, or to save it for a bigger week long trip I've got planned with a bunch of friends in August when we're going to be out that way anyways.

Or maybe both lol.

Reactions: J_F
Obviously not a 600 km run, but it would be fun sometime to hit all of the 5xx roads. In general, they seem to be nice riding roads. 533 is nice, but it is a hike to get there and not worth the travel but if you planned a route linking them all it could be a good adventure.
that sounds like a sweet ride in the making. Call it the COVID 500 series and ride as many of them as you can in one day.

that sounds like a sweet ride in the making. Call it the COVID 500 series and ride as many of them as you can in one day.
In!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

In!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I actually looked into it last night and there are a ton of 500 series in the area north of North Bay and Sudbury, but then also a bunch on the east side of Algonquin. It could be a 2 day route though - maybe do the Calabogie and Barry’s Bay Area on day 1 and then overnight somewhere near North Bay. Second night head over to Sault Ste Marie and do all the 500’s north of the Trans Canada and finish off with a 518 run. And that still might not be enough time...

There are a lot of good roads in Milton but I don't know the routes. From there you can take Ridge Road from Centennial Parkway in Hamilton to Niagara-on-the-Lake and go along Niagara Parkway all the way to Fort Erie, which is pretty scenic. From there you can go along the north shore of Lake Erie. Something like this:

Lakeshore Rd to 958-1052 S Coast Dr

i might give this a shot this weekend. im just up for some super relaxing scenic rides right now. you think the niagara parkway is nicer/scenic than the northern erie shore? might skip the parkway if so or vice versa.

iblastoff, please report back what you think. Cheers.

For a calm, scenic ride I thought it was nice enough. It’s definitely no Pacific coast highway but I’ll take what I can get as I haven’t left the city much this year on bike. If you’re after speed or curves, you’ll be disappointed but that wasn’t what I was after.

I’ve ridden the usual Hamilton paths along the way (ridge road etc) many times so no comment on that.

I do wish the Niagara parkway didn’t have so many trees along the water cause I’d say at least 60% of the time you can’t even tell you’re next to it. But when it does open up, its pretty fantastic. I’ve never ridden it before though so hopefully it holds up if I decide to go again.

I was planning to leave the city at 6am but that didn’t happen till 8am haha. Not used to waking up early during this pandemic I guess. But overall traffic was not an issue on the parkway. Got stuck behind a bus once but they seem to turn off pretty frequently. But most of the time it’s pretty barren on the road.

01f69a5c8b53ec6304158405bef6cca2.jpg

Stopped off at a few random escarpments along the way.

b73dd8befcc83e5cd4e312f22b20977f.jpg

LOTS of bikes on the parkway once I got there. half the time I’m just waving at riders. I didn’t go too far along the northern coast of Lake Erie cause I ended up meeting a friend at Lundys Lane golf driving range which might be the worst/best place ever. Its like someone just randomly decided to convert their backyard into a makeshift range. Never swung a golf club in my life but this was fun!

There were tons of random stops along the way for breaks and snacks and photos.

66a65c169f2be09eb2b4953e5d8d7102.jpg

I had this super weird concern during this ride. Being asian, I wasn’t sure if some of the smaller towns I rode through would be accommodating during this pandemic. Getting into and hearing lots of random racist encounters in Toronto really put my defenses up. But it was all fine.

Overall I might do this again next season. I know the general consensus is to head up north for better roads etc, but i definitely enjoyed this shorter day trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
... I had this super weird concern during this ride. Being asian, I wasn’t sure if some of the smaller towns I rode through would be accommodating during this pandemic. Getting into and hearing lots of random racist encounters in Toronto really put my defenses up. ...
There are small minded people everywhere, I find it upsetting to even read that you are so concerned about that.

I don't remember. Honestly LOL. I know I didn't do any of the suggested options (sorry, all). It's been a bit of a brain numbing summer and I've been forgetting half the places I've been to so far this year, big trips aside.

Last edited:
You're forgiven. I won't even ask you what day you went ;). Yep it's been a pretty crazy summer.

Back
Top Bottom