Need a 400-600km ride idea for this week. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a 400-600km ride idea for this week.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Coming out of the Oshawa area. Probably something to the west as I've covered pretty much every road possible inside that range anywhere north and east of this side of the GTA and honestly I don't really feel like going to the same places over and over again.

Need something new and different. If I need to shoot out across a length of the 401 to and from to do it, so be it.

And...go.

Tuesday is open lapping at Grand Bend. TMP is tomorrow.

Tuesday is doable, tomorrow is not.

But both are to the tech standards that require all sorts of stuff I'm not interested in doing. That special day that TMP is hosting later in the season where things like flushing coolant and such don't apply is more likely what I'll look at.

Bueller? Bueller?

I used to wander around near waterloo. Not amazing, but a nice cruise. Cant give you and street names because I was just wandering and taking any road that looked interesting. Just watch out for the mennonites.

Off 401, up the 7/8 to Waterloo, north to Elmira ( make your way around the road closures to HWY 86 north to listowel, wingham, keep heading up to kincardine then down to godrich, cut across to Blyth ( cowbell brewery is cool) Then slowly make your way back south to 401 then home. Lots of long stretches of roads, nice country and not overly busy with traffic north of Waterloo.

I was going to suggest Ottawa <-> Oshawa but it is roughly 400 kms one way.

A friend and I did West Toronto <-> Ottawa in a single day...around 1000 kms in all...it was a sheer test of our will power as this was in November when the temp outside was 5C lol (fz07 and z650)
In a single day we experienced, heat, rain, cold (windchill effect on the highway) and fog/mist...definitely memorable.

You didn't say what you normally do . . . so without knowing what you're bored of,
Ontario Highlands, and / or Ottawa Valley. Every time. Head North and do the Calabogie Boogie. From your place will be best to overnight somewhere and make it 400-600km one way. Straight day trip from there gives you fewer options.
I see you have a cruiser so you may enjoy Prince Edward County.

You didn't say what you normally do . . . so without knowing what you're bored of,
Ontario Highlands, and / or Ottawa Valley. Every time. Head North and do the Calabogie Boogie. From your place will be best to overnight somewhere and make it 400-600km one way. Straight day trip from there gives you fewer options.
I see you have a cruiser so you may enjoy Prince Edward County.
Where in PEC? I wandered around there quite a bit in the past and have no need to ride there anymore. I guess lake on the mountain or Cable ferry are interesting for a change but meh.

Sorry I find everything to the west and northwest boring, so I have nothing to offer.
Within 400-600km of the GTA I only go north or northeast.
Me too. The only time I ride west of the 400 is if some other non-biking destination happens to be there.

Sorry I find everything to the west and northwest boring, so I have nothing to offer.
Within 400-600km of the GTA I only go north or northeast.

Was afraid of that, and yeah, that's kind of been my experience to the west as well but I thought maybe there'd be a hidden gem somewhere.

I was going to suggest Ottawa <-> Oshawa but it is roughly 400 kms one way.

Rode to Ottawa and back same day twice this year already to pickup Kijiji stuff. Lots of times last year. Heck, Rode to Hull one day for a hot dog lunch at Costco last summer lol.

Might head out to PEC again.....it's actually one place I haven't been to yet this year.

It's a little nicer down there (PEC) on a cruiser as opposed to a sportier bike. Especially if you are into wine. Depends on the riding you like.
I am partial to the highlands though North of Bancroft for your timeframe but a lot of straight stuff to get there.

Hey so on this other thread @Mad Mike was referring to an iPhone app called "Scenic Motorcycle Navigation". I downloaded it and put a search window on the map with one corner in Oshawa and the other corner in Ottawa and there are 89 routes in that zone. The ap actually generated an error and asked me to apply some filters. Seems you may have a few options if you or somebody you know has an iPhone ;)
This thread - Gps or phone app? What do you use?

There are a lot of good roads in Milton but I don't know the routes. From there you can take Ridge Road from Centennial Parkway in Hamilton to Niagara-on-the-Lake and go along Niagara Parkway all the way to Fort Erie, which is pretty scenic. From there you can go along the north shore of Lake Erie. Something like this:

Lakeshore Rd to 958-1052 S Coast Dr

There are a lot of good roads in Milton but I don't know the routes. From there you can take Ridge Road from Centennial Parkway in Hamilton to Niagara-on-the-Lake and go along Niagara Parkway all the way to Fort Erie, which is pretty scenic. From there you can go along the north shore of Lake Erie. Something like this:

Lakeshore Rd to 958-1052 S Coast Dr
Scenic is important when sightseeing, it really not part of “interesting roads”

SW Ontario is low and flat with a few exceptions. Eastern and northern Ontario roads are routed thru and around bogs, lakes, rocky shield and rolling highlands. The result is lots of twists, turns and elevation changes = interesting roads.

Scenic is important when sightseeing, it really not part of “interesting roads”

SW Ontario is low and flat with a few exceptions. Eastern and northern Ontario roads are routed thru and around bogs, lakes, rocky shield and rolling highlands. The result is lots of twists, turns and elevation changes = interesting roads.

Well, down there we take what we can get. Just because a road happens to be scenic doesn't mean its not worth riding.

Yes absolutely, if you're heading up hwy 62 from bancroft, you can pick up 515 at Combermere. Make sure you stop for lunch at the Bent Anchor, right on the Madawaska River. (517 is also a great road but heads southeast, away from Barry's Bay). Bring a change of clothes you will not want this to be just a day ride once you get going . . . ;)

Back
Top Bottom