Napanee Man Charged in Fatal Motorcycle Crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

Napanee Man Charged in Fatal Motorcycle Crash

MRR11.6

It should be more than just plain careless driving. He took somebody's life. 4 years ago I had a lady driving down the road, texting, and made a sudden left turn 5 feet in front of my bike. I had a torn rotator cuff, surgery and a year of physio and my range on my right arm will never be the same.
She was charged with making an unsafe left turn. Probably got a fine of $100 to $200?

Who would think that the charge is too much if someone died? Especially if there was alcohol/drugs or plain old "you should have known better" negligence involved.

Charge him with manslaughter and give him prison time, the public might get some awareness about motorcycle/bicycle/pedestrian safety if the punishment was inline with the crime and the consequences were more than a slap on the wrist.

It should be more than just plain careless driving. He took somebody's life. 4 years ago I had a lady driving down the road, texting, and made a sudden left turn 5 feet in front of my bike. I had a torn rotator cuff, surgery and a year of physio and my range on my right arm will never be the same.
She was charged with making an unsafe left turn. Probably got a fine of $100 to $200?
Did you sue?

Who would think that the charge is too much if someone died? Especially if there was alcohol/drugs or plain old "you should have known better" negligence involved.

Charge him with manslaughter and give him prison time, the public might get some awareness about motorcycle/bicycle/pedestrian safety if the punishment was inline with the crime and the consequences were more than a slap on the wrist.
Check out the "Where's the Media " thread for the folks who apologize for riding a bike, and don't believe offences causing injury or death warrant different punishment.
Sometimes, given the evidence , the criminal option would be a waste of time, no reasonable chance of conviction. It may be hard enough to prove careless without gobs of evidence.

sigh

Did you sue?
My buddy that had someone come out of a parking lot into the main street without looking causing my friend to t-bone the guy. his lawyer pretty much told him, unless you have a permanent disability, you're not going to be getting much from them. I'm assuming the lawyers that can actually get some money out of them won't spend the time on it....

My buddy that had someone come out of a parking lot into the main street without looking causing my friend to t-bone the guy. his lawyer pretty much told him, unless you have a permanent disability, you're not going to be getting much from them. I'm assuming the lawyers that can actually get some money out of them won't spend the time on it....
Unless you're hurt and subject to a lot of time off, pain and suffering or rehabilitation costs there is no entitlement to compensation - that's a risk you take when you decide to drive. Lawyers need to see a payday for both themselves and their clients before they recommend action.

get a better lawyer, if your hurt you'll get paid. Yes they will throw delay after delay, if you have proper council , not an ambulance chaser you can be compensated.

get a better lawyer, if your hurt you'll get paid. Yes they will throw delay after delay, if you have proper council , not an ambulance chaser you can be compensated.
Agreed.
I was hit head on over 10 years ago by someone not paying attention. Was off work for the summer as a result. Got a good lawyer. Filed claims against their insurance company and my own and won both claims. Didn't have to give a retainer and cost me 25% of settlements. Well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom