Nakeds that ride like sports | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nakeds that ride like sports

ScottMoto

Looking at upgrading from my 500r this year and as much as I've been looking at YZF-R6s, nobody will insure me on one. I've always loved the seating position of supersports as well as their look.

Basically, naked riders what 600-650cc 4-cylinder motorcycle can you recommend for me?

I if it has to be 4 cylinders and between 600-650cc, I think your options are going to be narrow?

Out of curiosity, why does the amount of cylinders matter?

675cc Triples are nice
but insurance people like to call them restricted weapons or something to that effect

I if it has to be 4 cylinders and between 600-650cc, I think your options are going to be narrow?

Out of curiosity, why does the amount of cylinders matter?
I should have said 600-900cc but I'm only 23, haven't hit the golden age of 25 when insurance finally drops

You would be doing yourself a disservice by not considering the Yamaha FZ/MT 07/09 even though they don't have four cylinders.

I think insurance caught onto these, I'm older than OP and can't find insurance under 2k. For anything like R6 speed you need to get the 09.

MT07, Duke 690, SV650 (new one looks dope), Monster 696.

Call a broker that works with Echelon. I had a very, very good price for an Fz09 and the jump to FZ10 would have been minimal.

Mitchell and Whale brokers is who i would recommend.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed the 4 cylinder requirement. I guess FZ6 or FZ6R. But i think you`re doing yourself a disservice, the other options are just dandy.

I think insurance caught onto these, I'm older than OP and can't find insurance under 2k. For anything like R6 speed you need to get the 09.
R6 feels like it has no balls for the street, takes forever to wind out. :(

I got the Street Triple 765 last year and it's a blast, insurance wasn't much more than the 2003 SV650S I had before. The SV is a good option as well, but you'll have to upgrade the suspension if you weigh more than 120lbs.

With the F3 it's the opposite; the rear suspension is so over-sprung, a lightweight has to ride it like a maniac to give the rear shock a workout.
Is perfect when you are exiting tight corners under heavy acceleration and riding only the rear wheel.

The Fz07 is a blast, I still want to try a SS eventually but planning on a Fz09 next probably.
Bike's have all that power crammed within 200KM, lotsa torque.

My Bandit 650 or the older Bandit 600 are cheap on insurance. Even newer GSXF650. About 80 hp. Steel framed a bit heavier but I like mine. Would swap it for an SV650N Had one liked it to.

hKyGatY.gif

The Fz07 is a blast, I still want to try a SS eventually but planning on a Fz09 next probably.
Bike's have all that power crammed within 200KM, lotsa torque.
FZ07 is widely regarded as being even more fun/more hooligan then the FZ09. I'd like a go on one someday to compare.

I had a 2010 FZ6R, 4 cylinder and that thing was a BLAST!!!...personally, I found it top heavy, but other than that, it was a lot of fun...great sound, even with the stock exhaust and I had well over 200 kph going up Trafalgar...I now ride the FZ07 and it too is a lot of fun...2 cylinder, and definitely not as fast, but it's very light and fun in the twists and turns...I put a Puig windscreen on it, but even with that, I find the wind horrible at highway speeds...I've seen a few comparisons on You Tube between the FZ07, FZ09 and the FZ10 and the FZ10 came out on top with the FZ07 a close second...I've even watched comparisons between the FZ07 and Suzuki SV650, and the FZ07 beat it too...go sit on them and if you can, go for a test ride, but I love my FZ07...

I had a 2010 FZ6R, 4 cylinder and that thing was a BLAST!!!...personally, I found it top heavy, but other than that, it was a lot of fun...great sound, even with the stock exhaust and I had well over 200 kph going up Trafalgar...I now ride the FZ07 and it too is a lot of fun...2 cylinder, and definitely not as fast, but it's very light and fun in the twists and turns...I put a Puig windscreen on it, but even with that, I find the wind horrible at highway speeds...I've seen a few comparisons on You Tube between the FZ07, FZ09 and the FZ10 and the FZ10 came out on top with the FZ07 a close second...I've even watched comparisons between the FZ07 and Suzuki SV650, and the FZ07 beat it too...go sit on them and if you can, go for a test ride, but I love my FZ07...
You may need a helmet change, some are not upright friendly. My FZ09 was fine up to 140/km then i turned into a bit of a bobble head.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am considering the MT09 at the moment. But I really just want a 600cc sportbike, I'm sure the MT/FZ series are good bikes but anything other than an R6, 600rr, GSXR 600 or Kawi Zx6r is a compromise for now.

Maybe I just keep my 500 insured until they ok me on one, but the 500r doesnt excite me anymore.

I have been on a 2016 Honda CBR650F and it was freakin awesome. Inline 4 with power that you can actually use. Another reason I like the 650f is that it has full fairings and I didn't notice any more head wobble on hwy than I do on my zx6r. The stock seating position I would say is in between an FZ09 and a SS. If you do want more of an aggressive seating position, you could always lower the clip ons under the triple tree. It is a great all around sports bike that looks good, sounds nice, and handles well. They did come out in 2015 (I think) so it might be a bit harder/more expensive that getting a used 600SS of an older model.
2016 cbr 650f - Google Search:
One more suggestion, have you looked into getting a used Ninja ZZR600? My friend was unable to get a 600CC supersport, but they would insure him on this. It is i believe the same motor out of a 2002 zx6r (carbed). He lowered the clip ons for a more aggressive position and it was pretty damn fast. They are considered "sports touring" bikes, but a clean one may be hard to find.
There's one in Toronto now with low KM. It's a 2008. Seems like a fair deal to me and you could always knock of $200 or so if he really wants it gone.
Kawasaki Ninja ZZR600 Low KM | Sport Bikes | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I am considering the MT09 at the moment. But I really just want a 600cc sportbike, I'm sure the MT/FZ series are good bikes but anything other than an R6, 600rr, GSXR 600 or Kawi Zx6r is a compromise for now.

Maybe I just keep my 500 insured until they ok me on one, but the 500r doesnt excite me anymore.

The 'look' and aggressive position gets old after a short while, they are not street friendly. Factor in insurance rates and you're paying to ride something you can't look at and have to pretzel yourself onto. If you`re in your 20s you have about 6 years of riding to do before you qualify for any kind of decent rate. We could also talk about how much easier it is to wrench on a naked, any buddy i have with an R6 get's a big frowny face whenever it's time to change the oil.

I suggest you watch old Zach and Ari, they pretty much nail it.

You seem fairly open minded, think about riding something with on par and even better performance for less money. Buy the 600 for a track bike, where it's meant to shine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom