My version of ignition switch #2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My version of ignition switch #2

Yorkee

Site Supporter
After last version sometimes ago, I decided to take some of your suggestions and create the version two:

[video=youtube;O9xiiLD7vCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9xiiLD7vCo&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

This is the bluetooth version. What do you think?

Last edited:
You're a mad scientist. Would love that for my car on cold days. No real need on a bike tho

hahaa thanks!

The original intention is not about remote start, it was about ditching the key so that I don't have to worry about replacing my ignition switch when I loss my key. And I have one less item to take with me when I leave the house.

Somehow it become remote start because of the limited available ways a phone can connect to a device :)

great idea for fun but seriously all the time and money you are spending for what exactly
You can go make a spare key or 2 and hide one on your bike

thanks again for all the feedback!

What happens if you lose your phone?

You will ask your buddy to borrow their phone, install the app, enter the login/pwd, and use his phone to start your bike. Then you go home and reset the login so he is not able to start your bike again.

It's not as bad as lossing your keys.

great idea for fun but seriously all the time and money you are spending for what exactly
You can go make a spare key or 2 and hide one on your bike

Yeah I agree.... but the cool factor of starting your bike via phone is priceless!

thanks again for all the feedback!

You will ask your buddy to borrow their phone, install the app, enter the login/pwd, and use his phone to start your bike. Then you go home and reset the login so he is not able to start your bike again.

It's not as bad as lossing your keys.

Yeah I agree.... but the cool factor of starting your bike via phone is priceless!

That is a lot of assumptions you are making just to avoid carrying a spare key or hiding one.
At worse you get CAA to bring your bike home on a flatbed.

Thats wild, Now i would recommend a password of some sort other than that i love it. You got details on how to ?

really cool.

here's an idea to complicate things....

have one button one the app "ride"
once you push it the ignition turns on once you reach a set distance from the bike, then once you reach the closer set distance the starter goes.

ie:
leave work and walk to your bike. As you approach it, the bike automatically turns on and starts by the time you get to it.
If you change your mind and walk away, the bike turns off.

EDIT:
You'd have to use a gps, or RFID, or maybe the app could continuously ping the bike (don't know how bluetooth works)

Last edited:
With the 1000 fart apps that exist, at least this does something.

Good job OP, at least you're thinking about things. Good luck with the project.

nice idea. Good one OP.

BUT I always park my bike in gear, so a remote start doesnt make sense? Fun project otherwise

really cool.

once you push it the ignition turns on once you reach a set distance from the bike, then once you reach the closer set distance the starter goes.

ie:
leave work and walk to your bike. As you approach it, the bike automatically turns on and starts by the time you get to it.

EDIT:
You'd have to use a gps, or RFID, or maybe the app could continuously ping the bike (don't know how bluetooth works)

I think there's proximity APIs built into bluetooth. I remember I used to be able to unlock my computer with my phone if it was within a certain range, but that might have just been a function of "as soon as you see the phone, unlock". not 100% sure on that.

Is that the Emmoco board you are using?

I'm assuming this is just a prototype and you aren't going to put that mess in your bike. If you need help designing something with a proper protection circuit, let me know. I wouldn't care so much with just an accessory, but just a regular LDO isn't sufficient for anything that you have to count on.

Where do you carry the white stool? Do you have a special backpack for it? Or does it just bungee onto the back of the bike?
This video proves one thing; Windsor is as boring as it looks.

Thanks for the response! I know it's not useful, but nevertheless its fun to build something like this.

Thats wild, Now i would recommend a password of some sort other than that i love it. You got details on how to ?

Thats in the drawing board, still deciding to depends on BB security or implement my own...

really cool.

ie:

EDIT:

Like the idea! the only think I am worry about is one would back and forth between the set range, then the bike will be starting and stoping repeatedly. As for the range, it can be determined by signal strength... I may play around with your idea :)

Is that the Emmoco board you are using?

I'm assuming this is just a prototype and you aren't going to put that mess in your bike. If you need help designing something with a proper protection circuit, let me know. I wouldn't care so much with just an accessory, but just a regular LDO isn't sufficient for anything that you have to count on.

No, just a bunch of prototype shield. It's start of as kitchen sink project, and I am still using parts from the sink :D. I definitely won't put the whole chunk in my bike, I want to have more solid working software for both the phone and the unit before cleaning up the circuit.

Back
Top Bottom