My Terrible Tuning Experience With Pro 6 Cycle | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My Terrible Tuning Experience With Pro 6 Cycle

What was the nature of the problem ?

I'll preface this by saying I don't blame them for not being able to fix the bike, I blame them for charging me an exorbitant amount and saying the bike is fixed multiple times when it wasn't. This was 5 years ago, but I believe the owner is still the same not sure about the rest of the staff.

Bike, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, had noticeable throttle hang after I replaced the electric motor for the secondary throttle valves. I threw in the towel after I spent a ton of time checking and rechecking everything and replacing some parts (throttle cables, complete throttle bodies, cold idle valve, can't remember what else). Freekeyguy didn't fix it, it spent three months at Speedworx, they couldn't fix it. Then it went to Pro6 on a recommendation that they had a great Yamaha tech at the time.

First phase was it spent a month there, their conclusion was it needed a coolant flush (I had already changed the coolant a few times in my attempts to repair, but sure) and power commander needed to be remapped on dyno. Charged me $1000 for that, there are some other things noted on the invoice, no problem. Go to pick it up and it's immediately apparent that it's still the same. Left the bike with them.

They then check the valve clearances, find two valves beyond spec, recommend to replace them. Five months later the bike is fixed according to them, zero updates from them during that time unless I called them. That portion cost $2500 with the supposed discount of not fixing the bike in the first place. $2500 (with discount) to check clearances on a straightforward I4 motor on a naked bike, re and re the head and replace two valves...

At that point I'm swamped with work and can't find time to pick up the bike, ask them to store it over the winter. Charge me full price for storage after taking more than half a year and $3500 to "fix" it

Go to pick it up in the spring after them badgering me every couple days to pick it up. On top of everything else, the fork seal is now leaking pretty bad which I had to point out to them, no mention from them. Pro6 says fork seal is weeping due to sitting and to ride it. Throttle hang issue is still there but is normal according to them, I didn't know what was normal after not riding the bike for so long. Rode it home and surprise surprise, the original issue is still there and now fork seal needs to be replaced.

I gave up at this point, had the fork seal done elsewhere and tried to forget about the $4k I set on fire.

Invoices if you want a laugh

Step 1

Step 2

Storage

Last edited:
What ended up being the problem with your FZ6?

I assume you mean FZ1? I have no idea, gave up trying to fix it after spending a combined $5k trying to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom