my pride was hurt more than anything.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

my pride was hurt more than anything....

silvrsurfr

At the gas station today - stopped behind a car waiting to get at the pump.
A guy beside me starts asking me directions for quickest way to 401, blah blah blah.... I get off the bike, we chit chat for a min.
The guy in front of me finally moves, so i duck paddle my bike up to the pump. Now somehow i must have kicked up the kickstand, (or it might have even hit the curb the actual gas pump sits on) and didn't realize it. Went to get off the bike, and when i realized the kickstand was not down it was too late. It got me off balanced and on a weird angle, so i had to gently lay her down!! Dang it!!!

I lifted her up no problem. Got the bike resting on the kickstand, and got the gas.

But man, i was burning up inside. Part angry for letting that happen. (i'm very aware of the little things like this. call me anal) And definitely very embarrassed!! lol

So suffered a couple scuff marks on the left fairing.

But hey, if this is my one incident this season, i'll take it.

In hindsight, if i was there looking at myself, i would be having a good chuckle.

Anyway, just thought i would share.

At the gas station today - stopped behind a car waiting to get at the pump.
A guy beside me starts asking me directions for quickest way to 401, blah blah blah.... I get off the bike, we chit chat for a min.
The guy in front of me finally moves, so i duck paddle my bike up to the pump. Now somehow i must have kicked up the kickstand, (or it might have even hit the curb the actual gas pump sits on) and didn't realize it. Went to get off the bike, and when i realized the kickstand was not down it was too late. It got me off balanced and on a weird angle, so i had to gently lay her down!! Dang it!!!

I lifted her up no problem. Got the bike resting on the kickstand, and got the gas.

But man, i was burning up inside. Part angry for letting that happen. (i'm very aware of the little things like this. call me anal) And definitely very embarrassed!! lol

So suffered a couple scuff marks on the left fairing.

But hey, if this is my one incident this season, i'll take it.

In hindsight, if i was there looking at myself, i would be having a good chuckle.

Anyway, just thought i would share.

Sounds like you learned your lesson, never help anyone ;)

Good on you for not putting yourself down, **** happens :)

Kickstand was knocked to the half-engaged state when you were duck paddling your bike to the pump.
I almost dropped my bike like that.

lol had a similar situation last year, except there was a girl in a mini skirt fueling up :) Went to jump off my bike after fueling, at the last second saw that i hadn't kicked the kick stand. First thought through my mind was to slooow down the cruching. have you ever seen the video of the mother lifting a car of her child? I had one of those moments, the bike went sooo low, and i was only on my left foot, but managed to save her. The gas station attendant had a good laugh tho

lol had a similar situation last year, except there was a girl in a mini skirt fueling up :) Went to jump off my bike after fueling, at the last second saw that i hadn't kicked the kick stand. First thought through my mind was to slooow down the cruching. have you ever seen the video of the mother lifting a car of her child? I had one of those moments, the bike went sooo low, and i was only on my left foot, but managed to save her. The gas station attendant had a good laugh tho

That's all that matters; Job well done!

i honestly think this was the case!!

Live & Learn. You'll often find me double checking to see if my kickstand is fully engaged when I park my bike now lol

Yup happened to me in the drive way a couple of weeks ago here in Aus. I have to tuck the KLR into a corner that tends to be soft and muddy so careful with the kickstand but I figured out after ( the pant leg was pinned - luckily I was wearing convertibles - had to unzip the one leg ) - that something on my pant caught the kickstand spring - so even tho I actually put it down - as soon as I moved my leg the kickstand came with it -
Mine was not gentle but hell it's a KLR with Barkbusters so no harm but feeling stooopid.

Bloody thing is top heavy but has good grips for lifting it with my legs. Not a bad place to practice a lift instead on some muddy forest trail.

Got my boot caught in the rearset while going to put my foot down and almost dumped the bike. It went so low it was all I could do to save it. All this happened in front of a 12 bike group ride I was leading. Needless to say a good laugh was had by all. They clapped and everything.

There's gopro of it somewhere.

How were your arms after that? :p

Years ago I used to park my bikes (at the time, my TLS) on the paddock stand every time I brought it in the garage (parked it up close to the left wall).

My start up routine was;
-start the bike
-remove the rear stand while balancing the bike
-wheel the bike back out of the garage
-let it fall onto the kickstand, which was ALWAYS down

...until the day after I lubed said kickstand... and left it up. I too followed the bike all the way to the ground when I realized that something was wrong. Result; scuff on bar end, scuff on turn signal (which was later replaced with after market), scuff on exhaust (later replaced by Yosh). I got lucky.

Needless to say, I stopped regularly parking it on the paddock stand.

That said, I now have a front wheel chock that I just ride into and get off the bike. I still leave the kickstand down as that's how I shut down the bike. Tonight I installed a new chain and while doing so, spent some time getting some chain lube off some parts... including the kick stand mount. I just went to the garage to confirm that it is, in fact, still in the down position. THANK YOU.

i remember when i used to ride my buddys zzr250 around, whenever i put it on the kickstand and get off, it always moved a little bit more to the left and i always thought it would fall over. kickstands are my worst enemy sadly.

I did the halfway down sidestand routine at the US border. I think they stamped my passport "Idiot" with invisible ink.

It happens to the best of us. Now you won't let it happen again.

A similar thing happened to me as well last Sunday. In the driveway at home. Had got mine and my wife's bikes out of the garage. Both running to warm up and as I was putting on my helmet my 1100 Virago rolled slightly forward and came down off the side stand. Real slow, then I was trapped between the 2 bikes and they were locked together by my handlebars. No significant damage other than to my ego. :0

lmao

I did that before.....at a bike meet. I was talking to my cuz for about 5 mins and I decided to get off the bike, not realizing the kick stand wasn't down. :(

Lol that happened to me back when I had my GS500 - worst part was that I couldnt pick it up myself. I had to stand there like a dummy and wait for someone to help me.

Back
Top Bottom