My bike gave up | GTAMotorcycle.com

My bike gave up

Sora

So my bike gave up in the middle of my ride to work this morning while I was going ~80kph on highway 7. Watched the rpms just go down, thankfully I was already in the right lane so I got it on the curb. (And yeah I looked there's still gas in the tank)

The first few lights I hit this morning before that, it stalled whenever I started. I went real slow on the clutch, gave it a little gas, hit the friction zone and kept it there a while. The bike rolled forward then immediately the rpms dropped off and stalled. I had to use the choke to get it started again.

Right now I'm sitting on the side of highway 7 waiting for a tow so I can get home and at least cage it to work.

So, two things: are there any mechanics in the richmond hill area or nearby that you recommend? And, more, importantly, what's wrong with my bike?

2004 kawasaki ninja. The petcock is set to prime/on.

Is that it? Won't use what's left because that's the reserve?

Ill try that when I get home. If I'm going to be late for work, may as well be really late, right?

I agree. Fuel supply could be it.
Then, a good thing to check - ignition/electrical. How has the bike been starting up and idling lately? Those kind of problems don't appear out of a blue. More like they begin and progress gradually.

Did that to me once on my 07 ninja. Turns out the fuel was too low, even though I can still see it. I agree with alert to try putting it on reserve and see how it goes, if it runs, go to the nearest gas to full up.

Some one else mentioned that sometimes bad gas does that too, and make sure not to fill up when the station is filling their tank.

Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've only been riding for a week. It was fine last weekend. Monday no problems. Wednesday (the last time I rode) it stalled a few times on the way home like what happened this morning, but I figured it wasn't warmed up enough since it only happened the first few times I stopped. It was sitting outside my office in the sun and it wasn't a cold day and I'd let it run with choke on while I put my gear on.

Well I've only been riding for a week. It was fine last weekend. Monday no problems. Wednesday (the last time I rode) it stalled a few times on the way home like what happened this morning, but I figured it wasn't warmed up enough since it only happened the first few times I stopped. It was sitting outside my office in the sun and it wasn't a cold day and I'd let it run with choke on while I put my gear on.

That sounds exactly like you are low on gas and need to switch to reserve.

Another question. If you run out of gas, and you try to push the starter button, will the engine still try to turn? After I rolled it onto the curb I tried starting it again but when I pushed on the button there wasn't any sound at all.

Wouldn't turn over at all? Your headlights/horn are still working, aren't they?

Headlights/horn still work (the turn signal fuse blew on Sunday, need to replace it but brake lights work fine).

I tried to hit the start button while it was still rolling, nothing. Tried it again once I got it up on the curb. It started after a few pushes and I thought I'd get it rolling but as soon as I let the throttle out a bit it died.

Got it home, switched to reserve. Turned on fine, idled around 1rpm without the choke on. Tried giving it just a touch of gas; the rpms went up to 2 then just died.

Might be that it just needs to warm up again but I don't have time to really check it out; need to leave for work now if I want to catch a ride, or risk finding out that my bike really is broken and end up bussing it for two hours.

do you have a tank bag? is the pressure valve on the gas cap free?

No tank bag.

I'm not sure what you mean by pressure valve? The gas cap works fine, I think. It closes/locks no problem and I could hear a little whistling after I got to work/home, just because with the engine off it was quiet enough to hear it.

thats whistling in the pressure release.

when the bike is warm the gas expands, the pressure release allows air to come and go.

The deal with Petcocks, is 3 stages. Normal or Run draws fuel from the top of the inner tank fuel tube. Reserve draws it from the bottom of the tube, both require a vacuum source to open the fuel valve on the bottom, this valve prevents the carbs from flooding should the float valves leak a little in the carbs. Prime is the system that pushes open the petcock valve and lets fuel into the carb without a vacuum source. I suspect the vacuum hose might have a crack on it or fallen off. Try running it on prime to see if the petcock is an issue.

Kawi ninjas of that year don't have prime.

To prime the carbs, get your bike in gear and hit the starter button with the clutch not pulled in. You should hear the fuel pump clicking away. If it doesn;'t then your carbs are either primed or something is broken.

Back
Top Bottom