My 42-Year-Old Friend Failed His M2 Exam | GTAMotorcycle.com

My 42-Year-Old Friend Failed His M2 Exam

Pegassus

Site Supporter
This is what happens when people don't listen to me. My friend is a relative newcomer from Hungary, came to Canada 4 years ago and has always shown me pics of him riding a dirt bike back home and how he wanted to get into riding here in Toronto. I took him through the steps how to get his M1 and got it with flying colors, so now he took the M2 course. Invited me to go watch him. Right off the bat I noticed he went for the biggest and heaviest bike out of 20 of them (face palm).

He was sluggish and struggling with this big cruiser, he had never touched that kind of bike before, only ridden 125cc dirt bikes. That's one thing I told him to do, grab a small light motorcycle to pass the test. He didn't, says he wanted to "test himself". Well that $600 went down the drain fast. He was being yelled at by instructors to "ramp it up" and "speed it up". Every time he came into an abrupt stop he would almost drop it. The steering is not the same as a dirtbike.

P.S. I saw 3 women and 1 guy being sluggish and making lots of mistakes even with the small dirtbikes, I hope they didn't pass because they are 4 accidents waiting to happen. They are going to get rear-ended if they ride like this in city streets.

Last edited:
P.S. I saw 3 women and 1 guy being sluggish and making lots of mistakes even with the small dirtbikes, I hope they didn't pass them because they are 4 accidents waiting to happen. They are going to get rear-ended if they ride like this in city streets.
The exam has nothing to do with preparing you for the street. (imo)

This is what happens when people don't listen to me. My friend is a relative newcomer from Hungary, came to Canada 4 years ago and has always shown me pics of him riding a dirt bike back home and how he wanted to get into riding here in Toronto. I took him through the steps how to get his M1 and got it with flying colors, so now he took the M2 course. Invited me to go watch him. Right off the bat I noticed he went for the biggest and heaviest bike out of 20 of them (face palm).

He was sluggish and struggling with this big cruiser, he had never touched that kind of bike before, only ridden 125cc dirt bikes. That's one thing I told him to do, grab a small light motorcycle to pass the test. He didn't, says he wanted to "test himself". Well that $600 went down the drain fast. He was being yelled at by instructors to "ramp it up" and "speed it up". Every time he came into an abrupt stop he would almost drop it. The steering is not the same as a dirtbike.

P.S. I saw 3 women and 1 guy being sluggish and making lots of mistakes even with the small dirtbikes, I hope they didn't pass them because they are 4 accidents waiting to happen. They are going to get rear-ended if they ride like this in city streets.
It was LC right? They don't charge for coming back

The exam has nothing to do with preparing you for the street. (imo)
i couldn't agree more... I think M2 exam has nothing to do with how to ride on the street. It just shows you how to operate a motorcycle... i.e. mechancially how it works etc...

Well.. the day I did my M2 with LC... there were actually 4/5 fails and 1 dropped. May be I was (un)lucky to see that.. one of the dudes actually rode in Asia was amongst the ones that didn't pass... The others were all the same.. most of them are just too slow... but I guess when you are back at it.. or new to motorcycle.. its only natural to go slow.

Then there was another one... came all the way from Ottawa to get on a course with the husband... was doing some drills behind the hubby.. hubby stopped suddently.. she freaked out.. insteading of squeezing the brakes.. she turn the handlebars.. and pull the throttle full tilt... the next thing i saw was her steering off the parking lot.. hit the curb.. onto the lawn and falling inches before going on to Hwy 7 (I was at the Markville LC location). She dropped the class.

i couldn't agree more... I think M2 exam has nothing to do with how to ride on the street. It just shows you how to operate a motorcycle... i.e. mechancially how it works etc...

Well.. the day I did my M2 with LC... there were actually 4/5 fails and 1 dropped. May be I was (un)lucky to see that.. one of the dudes actually rode in Asia was amongst the ones that didn't pass... The others were all the same.. most of them are just too slow... but I guess when you are back at it.. or new to motorcycle.. its only natural to go slow.

Then there was another one... came all the way from Ottawa to get on a course with the husband... was doing some drills behind the hubby.. hubby stopped suddently.. she freaked out.. insteading of squeezing the brakes.. she turn the handlebars.. and pull the throttle full tilt... the next thing i saw was her steering off the parking lot.. hit the curb.. onto the lawn and falling inches before going on to Hwy 7 (I was at the Markville LC location). She dropped the class.
I noticed that lots of these M2 hopefuls didn't practice anything after they passed the written M1 at the Ministry. I don't blame them, they don't have a motorcycle, but they should have rented a dirtbike in the 905 area and practiced for a weekend. No brains. I also noticed in the M2 course that these guys follow each other too closely, it's a miracle I didn't see any accidents. The instructors should tell them not to follow 24 inches from each other, it should be at least 10 ft.

When I took my M2 class at Humber College in 2004/2005 there was this 22 year old guy from Georgetown who was a dirtbike cross-country dirt devil, he failed the exam when he dropped the bike at 30 km/h in front of instructors. He said he got nervous going through cones in front of them. This just shows you that even if you are an experienced rider but shy in front of instructors, you will fail.

When I took my M2 class at Humber College in 2004/2005 there was this 22 year old guy from Georgetown who was a dirtbike cross-country dirt devil, he failed the exam when he dropped the bike at 30 km/h in front of instructors. He said he got nervous going through cones in front of them. This just shows you that even if you are an experienced rider but shy in front of instructors, you will fail.

I taught at humber way back when and once in a while the strongest rider in the class fails the actual test and the weakest riders ace it, it happens.

Great, another weekend lost, and repeating all the steps will make that weekend even more hellish.
Yes....that's what happens when you don't pass. You come back for more seat time, because clearly it's needed.

I taught at humber way back when and once in a while the strongest rider in the class fails the actual test and the weakest riders ace it, it happens.
Former, not in the 4 years i've been instructing. The latter, all the time.

Seen it. One student aced most the test, but locked the back tire on the braking in a curve, then dropped it trying to keep it in the lines.
Zero point up until that moment. They could have just ridden through the back of the curve and passed.

To this day I’m baffled how a guy during my M2 course could endo a Virago 250 during the emergency stop drill…baffled.
Superman? That happens all the time.

To this day I’m baffled how a guy during my M2 course could endo a Virago 250 during the emergency stop drill…baffled.
My favorite course crash was a rider went down (for no good reason) and the rider behind him (a woman on a Virago 250) went whiskey throttle and used his crashed bike as a ramp. Her landing went very poorly. Both bikes were quite hurt. Both riders were mostly ok although the woman decided that riding wasn't for her and dropped out.

It was LC right? They don't charge for coming back
LC is great! My wife and son took the course. Both passed, but my wife was very uncomfortable with her skills. LC allowed her additional practice time on following weekends -- they really helped her build confidence.

My favorite course crash was a rider went down (for no good reason) and the rider behind him (a woman on a Virago 250) went whiskey throttle and used his crashed bike as a ramp. Her landing went very poorly. Both bikes were quite hurt. Both riders were mostly ok although the woman decided that riding wasn't for her and dropped out.
I think she did us all a favor by dropping out and never riding again. You are not suppose to hit the vehicle in front of you, especially at those slow speeds. I learnt my lesson only after years of riding. I rear-ended 3 cars in about a 10-year span when they suddenly stopped cold in a yellow light instead of continuing. But when I hit them my speed had been reduced to 10 km/h so my bike didn't get damaged much less their car. Now I travel at 2 cars' length away from cars inside the city at 50 to 60 km/s and about 5 or 6 car lengths away in the highway. It has worked like a charm, have not rear-ended anyone since then.

Back
Top Bottom