Muffler Pipe v Slip On v Full Exhaust. What is the difference? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Muffler Pipe v Slip On v Full Exhaust. What is the difference?

My Arrow exhaust is aftermarket, but has a "Triumph" stamp on it.

I wonder where my full termi system fits in? It is sold as a DP option at Ducati dealers.
Harley sells almost every bike with a pipe (and many with an ecu that increases emissions). They got in trouble in the US for basically converting bikes to non-compliance prior to delivery. Not sure what the outcome was. Probably small fine and continue selling bikes that make childrens ears bleed.

It would be interesting to see how the factory 3rd party pipes are certified (Termi, Akra, etc). They could actually be certified with the bike as it is probably an incremental cost when you are already having the complete bike looked at. I was pretty sure some of the were "off-road use" only though. As with HD, plating and delivering a brand-new bike with non-street legal parts can get you in trouble.

I've put full Termis on every single Ducati Superbike I've owned. They're stamped "For Racing Use Only" right on the can:

termi.jpg

I've even bought one model that was sold brand new with a full Termi system, but it was in a box and had to be installed post-delivery because it was "For Racing Use Only". Dealership or whoever installs them is supposed to inform you it isn't street-legal and then what you do after that is up to you.

Probably small fine and continue selling bikes that make childrens ears bleed.

It’s not a small fine at all and the parts they sell now are in compliance.

You can still buy slip ons for the new bikes with a tuner but almost no gain compared to the old equipment. No full systems removing the cat from the dealer.

They were supposed to buy back the old tuners but good luck with that once it was in customer hands.

Not sure what to think of my system.This is the only marking on it.I'm going to assume it is perfectly fine.Not that i would change it if it wasn't.
MkYjAJP.jpg

above physical descriptions are correct
maybe I'll add some comment on functionality

slip on being just a muffler does nothing but change exhaust sound
contrary to to some claims, no power improvements or tune are required

full sys will need to have the fuel mapping addressed and will offer the most possible power increase

3/4 sys will probably need new fuel mapping, certainly if the cat has been removed

what OP, is it that you're trying to achieve?
So here what Confused me, for example below are the two things I am confused about. What is the actual difference between the two apart from being street legal ?

Muffler Third Party
ED9ED909-8FBC-4FD4-98C3-1017D04A90F8.jpeg

Akrapovic
4657D72E-8BB0-4935-B28D-81488F038011.jpeg

easy

Akropovic is a company that has built a Brand
based on engineering, quality, performance

they have become the OEM exhaust supplier for some performance brands
they still sell complete systems for many bikes
they also sell slip on cans that look great and have the street cred

or you can buy a garbage knock-off that sounds the same and performs the same

OP

think like a chick
what is so ******* great about a Coach purse?
nothing...it's a ******* bag
you can buy a knock-off and 9/10 won't know

think like a chick
what is so ******* great about a Coach purse?
nothing...it's a ******* bag
you can buy a knock-off and 9/10 won't know

But some will swear up and down that the knock offs of anything are "substandard" compared to the "real thing".

In many situations that's true.

But not in all situations. Reality is a lot of the actual quality knockoffs of stupid overpriced "brand" products come out of the same factories but with just slightly different designs or lacking the branding.

I'm reminded of Otterbox cases. Insanely overpriced IMHO for what you get, but if you go to a flea market you can find exact knockoffs (to the millimetre) with the only difference being the lack of the branding molded into the rubber.

If it's a mid pipe/slip on, knock off will pretty much be close enough, but when it comes to headers if you're looking for maximum gains like for racing then a cheap header just can't compete to a quality one like an akra

So here what Confused me, for example below are the two things I am confused about. What is the actual difference between the two apart from being street legal ?

Those "street legal" ones usually have to undergo testing and all the bureaucratic sht that to meet the regulations that are an*lly enforced in places like Germany for instance (they'll impound your bike/car if it has non certified mods on it I read somewhere) so that drives up costs on top of all the other sht

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom