Muffler Pipe v Slip On v Full Exhaust. What is the difference? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Muffler Pipe v Slip On v Full Exhaust. What is the difference?

SentsunaKiryu

So I am a bit confused here between Muffler Pipe and Slip On. I understand the full exhaust systems are the ones which goes from hole-to-end. But I have seen on Amazon and other places Muffler Pipes are like $50-80 and Slip-On are $300-800 (Akrapovic, Yoshimura and S2 Project etc..)

what is the actual difference though?

Full system is header, mid pipe and can (muffler)
3/4 system is mid pipe (or cat delete pipe) and can
Slip-on is just the can

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Reactions: J_F
The cheap muffler pipes you see for sale are just that.

A straight piece of pipe that replaces your oem muffler.

A slip on is a replacement end can, and usually the link pipe that attaches to your oem down pipes from the headers.

The most expensive one says street legal on it, the performance one says for closed course competition only on it and the really really cheap one makes no claim other then to make your bike louder.

the exhaust, mid-pipe and headers. Usually, the OEM exhaust is replaced then the mid-pipes. Never heard of anyone just changing the headers alone.
midpipes are the cheapest.

The most expensive one says street legal on it, the performance one says for closed course competition only on it and the really really cheap one makes no claim other then to make your bike louder.

AFIK there are no "street legal" after market exhaust systems.

above physical descriptions are correct
maybe I'll add some comment on functionality

slip on being just a muffler does nothing but change exhaust sound
contrary to to some claims, no power improvements or tune are required

full sys will need to have the fuel mapping addressed and will offer the most possible power increase

3/4 sys will probably need new fuel mapping, certainly if the cat has been removed

what OP, is it that you're trying to achieve?

AFIK there are no "street legal" after market exhaust systems.
I think it depends on the bike,
some aftermarket makers for some bike exhaust systems have been seeking to certify to Euro standards is my understanding
and that might even exceed California current requirements.
You really can't go wrong with having the stock original exhaust maintained in good operating condition. Unless your bike came with a crap exhaust system to start with I suppose, wouldn't know about that myself, mine are pretty good at what they do.

Want to fit it with an open header at the track, go for it! Sounds awesome! That's one of the reasons to go to a track isn't it?
take lots of race fuel (y)

I have never noticed a meaningful change to anything but the bikes growl on 4 strokes. Looking at most dyno charts, there is a small performance advantage.

1581695505556.jpeg

to get this advantage the bike needs to re-tuned.

I forgot to add that some slip-ons are installed to increase rider safety, not for performance.

Old wives tale, or are you going to cite the claim? Or is it just sarcasm.
That would be something you have to ask yourself.

So does the new GSXR... but that would be OEM, not after market. Wouldn't it?
The new GSX-R's come with an OEM can that's as big as the gas tank. Suzuki should just make a deal with Yosh and give the customer a coupon for a free slipon at purchase.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom