Moving to Calgary, why is Insurance so cheap there? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moving to Calgary, why is Insurance so cheap there?

I pay $134 a month on a 2010 GSXR-600, no tickets, no accidents, new rider (M2) from statefarm, 35 years old. And I'm happy with that price, jevco with their supersport pricing wanted nearly $3800.

I'm moving to Calgary and my motorcycle insurance is now $36 a month, 12 equal payments.

Holy Jebus, are we really getting that badly screwed in Ontario? How is that even possible? I didn't even shop around in Calgary, thats full coverage too.

Adios Ontario, I'll miss my GTAM riding buddies, but not the insurance prices.

Mark Parnell in Scarborough from State Farm was awesome to deal with, if anyone needs an agent, he really went out of his way to meet my needs.

CB

Because Alberta and Ontario are very different regions with regards to legislation and claims experience. The tissue injury cap in Alberta probably has a pretty big impact as well. Are you still with SF in Alberta?

Because Alberta rocks and isn't run by pirates and idiots !!! :headbang:

The same companies that sell insurance in Ontario also sell insurance in Alberta.

Given the massive price difference this must tell you it's not the same product that they're selling.

It's kinda like saying one friend bought a car for $100 000 and another friend bought a car for $20 000.

What's up with that????

Simple, one was a Mercedes the other was a Focus.

Same analogy holds here.

The same companies that sell insurance in Ontario also sell insurance in Alberta.

Given the massive price difference this must tell you it's not the same product that they're selling.

It's kinda like saying one friend bought a car for $100 000 and another friend bought a car for $20 000.

What's up with that????

Simple, one was a Mercedes the other was a Focus.

Same analogy holds here.

lol what?

it'd be nice to have the choice to buy the focus and not forced to buy the merc

lol what?

it'd be nice to have the choice to buy the focus and not forced to buy the merc

This has been discussed countless times in other threads. The Gov't designs the insurance product, and the insurance companies must price it accordingly. There are multiple factors at play here:

- Ontario's claims experience is horrible . . . people find a lawyer in minor crashes faster than you can say "boo"
- Ontario's benefits are VERY generous
- Ontario's claims experience is getting worse rather than better

Centralblues, if you have a problem with this you're welcome to pay my insurance here and I'll pay yours there. Deal? ;)

Yes, we get screwed sans lube in Ontario. I was paying under $300/year on an '05 CBR600RR in St. John's, NL. Over a $1k/year here for it though.

its not even so much Ontario as Toronto (maybe southern Ontario as a whole). My car insurance was $500 a year in Thunder Bay $2000 a year here. Probably be lower now, but I don't know since I don't have a car anymore, just the bike.

Back
Top Bottom