Mountainbikers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mountainbikers

Yeah I'm well aware of what $1500 can get at a shop. That's why I'm going used.

No worries..It's just the built-in anti-bike-snob programming

I think we must be members of the same kult. ;)

sorry, id not want to come across as an mtb snob

But it's so much fun, innit?

d37460d1.jpg

but from shopping around and biking as long is I have

Cool. Maybe you can tell me who welded these weird things I picked up.

post-17-1175542082.jpg

Don't sweat it. Invictus and I are just having some fun.

Last edited:
Bull-moose bars! Remember those? Man, I thought that was as good as it got back in the day. I ran a Manitou 3 for years..wasn't bad for a bumper fork.. Installed a few of these back in the day...
image003.jpg

I ran a Manitou 3 for years..wasn't bad for a bumper fork.

Dude, you were so OTB. Everyone knew the hot set-up back in the day was a Judy w. dual Risse GEM cartridges (one leg comp., one leg rebound) and Speed Springs.

Last edited:
Hahaha, that combined ti-bar is from McMahon Racing, right? Or Syncros?

Nice Girvin BTW.... where's the matching ProFlex?

Anyways, back to the topic at hand..

There's lots of used XC dual-suspension bikes out there for $1500. You know, a bottom-range current Trek Fuel could be had for $2k or less. I currently ride a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR that I paid $2360 for (leftover, in '09) and am happy with. It's on the light side for a 5"/5" bike. You see a lot of these models used so keep your eyes peeled. (At the '09 Summer Solstice race I saw four or five bikes that matched mine!) The only iffy thing is that I don't like the way the rear shock valving feels, and I've already blown the seals out on it... and it's an odd size.

If you found a trance that fit you, you'd also enjoy it I bet. With your style of riding, maybe a Trance X? A friend really enjoyed his Cannondale Prophet, and I liked the Gemini I had - both pedaled pretty well for the size/weight.

If you find what you like new, for only $500-1k more, it might be worth it... I've had teething problems with just about all of my used bikes. You know about http://www.pinkbike.com right? Good luck.

If you found a trance that fit you, you'd also enjoy it I bet. With your style of riding, maybe a Trance X? A friend really enjoyed his Cannondale Prophet, and I liked the Gemini I had - both pedaled pretty well for the size/weight.

If you find what you like new, for only $500-1k more, it might be worth it... I've had teething problems with just about all of my used bikes. You know about http://www.pinkbike.com right? Good luck.

Yeah as stated I had a '07 Trance3 before and it did the job (although a bit heavy ~33lb) but it was a large and I need a medium. I've been searching pinkbike and the usual. Looking for a Fuel EX/Trance/FSR Stumpy/etc now as those should do me well for my application.

20 years old would mean a 91 which would put it right on the edge of suspension corrected geometry (they started tweaking the steering head height and angles to compensate for the increased length of suspension forks around 91-93, depending on the manufacturer). If you give me the model name I can look it up in our database. An older 63mm fork with a 396mm a-c length like a Rock Shox Indy, Mag 20/21, or Manitou 2 won't adversely affect your handling too much. For what your bike's worth, I'd look for something used on kijiji or a deal on old NOS stock at a mom and pop bike shop and get someone to swap it out for you.

There are 3 different steerer tube diameters and 2 different stem systems. You need the right one. If I had to hazard a guess without a model name I'd say 1 1/8" threaded.

one of my few life regrets is getting rid of my dekerf implant.:-(
the welds on that frame made it a piece of art.

Kinda pointless to spend all that money on a DeKerf Ti bar/stem if you don't have a DeKerf to put it on, no? ;)

(Chris' 184th frame)

DSC_0066-2.jpg

But you know you have serious problems if you have a DeKerf belt buckle. :D

93e5f5c3.jpg

And I thought I was a cool guy running late '90s grey XTR V-Brakes on my '99 Stumpjumper! Way to show a guy up.

Is that an IRD fork on the DeKerf? You rarely see parallelogram forks.

Oh yeah, to the guy who asked for advice ($1500 dual susp bikes), good luck with your bike. The Stumpjumper, from experience, is the lightest of those bunch, but I'd say it's less suited to hucking than the others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom