Motorcycle Tubes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Tubes

For the last few years I’ve used Slime Blue in my tube enduros. Haven’t seen a tire iron since, best $15 you can spend if you have tubed tires.
Seems slime red is for tubed, and blue seems to be tubeless and non-highway? Did they change the lineup maybe? Seems red is the one to get now.

I agree. The sizing on tubes is a bit of a mess and I would prefer if it was more consistent across the board.

Personally I would run a standard or HD tube. The Ultra HD tubes start getting pretty thick and heavy. I try to stick with name brands but have a no name china made standard tube in the rear wheel of a dirt bike right now and it's been fine for a while. I hate changing tires so will run it until I need to swap the tire.

I'm never going far enough that I'm concerned about spares or tools. With that said I have seen how those motion pro bead breaker levers work and I think they are pretty slick. I also really really like my baja no pinch tool for installing tires, makes the job pretty simple. So if I was travelling I would probably have those motion pro levers for breaking the bead/removing the tire and also carry the baja no pinch tool for installation.

Someone mentioned a mousse. I have never seen a mousse made for use on the street. I don't think it would be wise to run one at all.

I agree. The sizing on tubes is a bit of a mess and I would prefer if it was more consistent across the board.

Personally I would run a standard or HD tube. The Ultra HD tubes start getting pretty thick and heavy. I try to stick with name brands but have a no name china made standard tube in the rear wheel of a dirt bike right now and it's been fine for a while. I hate changing tires so will run it until I need to swap the tire.

I'm never going far enough that I'm concerned about spares or tools. With that said I have seen how those motion pro bead breaker levers work and I think they are pretty slick. I also really really like my baja no pinch tool for installing tires, makes the job pretty simple. So if I was travelling I would probably have those motion pro levers for breaking the bead/removing the tire and also carry the baja no pinch tool for installation.

Someone mentioned a mousse. I have never seen a mousse made for use on the street. I don't think it would be wise to run one at all.
Good to know standard HD tubes are still workable!

I see Michelin has "Street" and "Offroad" tubes available in sizes for my KLR. But the "Offroad" are only available in UHD, so I think I will go for "Street" in the future. Also still don't understand the abbreviated nomenclature for Michelin Tube Types. SUPER annoying.

Was looking at the no pinch for a while. Wonder how it works on stiff sidewall street tires like Shinko 705's. I hear it's great on dirt tires but those generally seem to be much easier to mount and remove...

I would be lying if I said I have personally used the baja no pinch tool on ADV or other street tires. I have seen a number of people on FB claiming to have used it on their Tenere 700 tires. It makes it almost too easy on dirt bike tires...I'm pretty confident it will work on most ADV type tires.

Seems slime red is for tubed, and blue seems to be tubeless and non-highway? Did they change the lineup maybe? Seems red is the one to get now.
My bad. It’s red.

In 50 years of riding and racing tubed tires I have never noticed any difference in tube brands, I usually take what is offered.
If getting stranded with a flat tire is a real fear, get a mousse

I have had better luck with tire spoons than irons.
bitz, can you explain the difference? (spoon / iron). I always thought spooning was just slang for pulling tires off and on rims.

bitz, can you explain the difference? (spoon / iron). I always thought spooning was just slang for pulling tires off and on rims.
I thought the terms were used reasonably interchangeably. I suspect bittz is referring to irons as the cylinder with a notch in it and spoons as the ones with a wider flared end and no notch.

Spoon
Iron
The spoon doesn't have sharp corners to pinch tubes
There are lots of spoons that are specifically for motorcycles, that are less than a foot long, that are REALLY to pack in your on bike tool kit. If you're not going to carry them, get the longer ones. IF you are going to carry them, get the one with a axle wrench built in

... and you can run a mousse on the street. You are going to shred the tire, but you will get home and it will save the rim.

Back
Top Bottom