Motorcycle Tubes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Tubes

MaksTO

So I'm in the market for a new set of tires, and some irons etc while I'm at it to learn to change them on my KLR650.

Seems like buying tubes is in a way even more complicated than looking for tires! So many different thicknesses of rubber, and so many different way companies measure them! There's metric, imperial, and Michelin has their own system too???

Then the subject of thickness. On-Road, Off-Road, Heavy Duty or not? Seems like too thick on the highway explodes from heat, and too thin gets flats all the time.

Just wondering if anyone can break it down for me a bit? I ride 90/90-21 and 130/80-17, and want tubes for just general riding with some off road, quite a bit of highway, and a TON of city. Is there a brand that's most easily accessible and decent quality? For cycling it's always been Kenda or Continental it seems, but with motorcycles there are so many brands ranging from $8-10 and $50+ tubes, and I'm not quite sure what's useful to know and what is just marketing.

Also as far as sizes go, if the exact size isn't available, going slightly smaller is OK, but slightly bigger is a NO, right? I've also heard people put front tubes in the rear if they have a flat out in the wild - Is that something that actually can be done?

If someone has any info and general tips for ADV bike tubes, and maybe for just moto tubes in general, I'd be forever grateful! I feel like I may be making a bigger deal out of this than I should.

I ride with a KLusteR of klr's. We take extra tubes on long trips. Nobody worries much about brand that I know of. In a pickle a front can be used in a rear tire but I don't recommend trusting it for long. I had a well known bike shop put an oversize tube in a tire for my DRZ (unbeknownst to me) and when it failed you could see the edge of a fold in the oversized tube had worn thru.

I'm missing out on a trip shortly but the email chatter showed they were taking both front and rear tubes. And a second tube is not a bad call. Coming home from the trans taiga buddy had a front tire go flat. After changing it out in a parking lot it went flat and we had to do the dance all over again when we camped for the night. Pinched the tube in the first go round.

I ride with a KLusteR of klr's. We take extra tubes on long trips. Nobody worries much about brand that I know of. In a pickle a front can be used in a rear tire but I don't recommend trusting it for long. I had a well known bike shop put an oversize tube in a tire for my DRZ (unbeknownst to me) and when it failed you could see the edge of a fold in the oversized tube had worn thru.

I'm missing out on a trip shortly but the email chatter showed they were taking both front and rear tubes. And a second tube is not a bad call. Coming home from the trans taiga buddy had a front tire go flat. After changing it out in a parking lot it went flat and we had to do the dance all over again when we camped for the night. Pinched the tube in the first go round.
On a KLR, aren't you supposed to wear a spare tire as a bandolier to complete the outfit?

The heavy duty/off-road tubes are designed to protect from pinch flats caused by riding with low tire pressures or for heavyweight cruisers with spoked wheels. For simple punctures pretty much anything will do.
As others have suggested, buy the less expensive items, maybe carry one (or two) of each for a longer trip, buy some GOOD tire levers and learn how to change.
A KLR is relatively easy - no rim locks.

The heavy duty/off-road tubes are designed to protect from pinch flats caused by riding with low tire pressures or for heavyweight cruisers with spoked wheels. For simple punctures pretty much anything will do.
As others have suggested, buy the less expensive items, maybe carry one (or two) of each for a longer trip, buy some GOOD tire levers and learn how to change.
Can you define good levers? I spoon my own stuff off and on with some struggle. Maybe better irons would help.

How much should I be looking to spend on a tube? Any brand specifically that you recommend / is widely recommended?

Just get the kenda or the conti. maybe 20$

Reactions: TK4
Will it dump air? I want one where I can overinflate a bit and then dump it out to where I want with the gage attached the whole time.

EDIT: Eff that just looked at the price. $100 to fill tires.

For the last few years I’ve used Slime Blue in my tube enduros. Haven’t seen a tire iron since, best $15 you can spend if you have tubed tires.

Will it dump air? I want one where I can overinflate a bit and then dump it out to where I want with the gage attached the whole time.

EDIT: Eff that just looked at the price. $100 to fill tires.
Then buy one of those CTC electric pumps and rig up a plug in to your bike.

For the last few years I’ve used Slime Blue in my tube enduros. Haven’t seen a tire iron since, best $15 you can spend if you have tubed tires.
Mike can you tell me more about this Slime Blue?

In 50 years of riding and racing tubed tires I have never noticed any difference in tube brands, I usually take what is offered.
If getting stranded with a flat tire is a real fear, get a mousse

I have had better luck with tire spoons than irons.

Back
Top Bottom