Motorcycle Tip-Over Testing - With and Without Crash Protectors (Austrailian Study) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Tip-Over Testing - With and Without Crash Protectors (Austrailian Study)

MrMeeseeks

Site Supporter
http://iagresearch.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=89

Thought I would post this up as a point of interest.

The link above contains info for motorcycle related testing carried out by insurance groups in australia.
They compare damage with protectors and without.

Viffer, would be curious to know whether or not:
1) If the data could be retreieved from Aus, can the case be made to north american providers to reduce comprehensive coverage costs based on whether or not you have installed frame sliders?

I wish, sucks though for my GS500F, its tested and aperently over $3000 in damages and labour but there isnt really place to install them on the bike...???

very interesting article...

I guess my ST1300 would be cheap... it has integrated crash bars :D

There is the second half of that rating criteria. How often do people with sliders crash vs those without? I suspect that you would find that people that ride more aggressively (and therefore crash more often) install sliders more often. It would be great if rating tables were able to be more refined, but it's hard to create such detailed statistics with so few riders.

There is the second half of that rating criteria. How often do people with sliders crash vs those without? I suspect that you would find that people that ride more aggressively (and therefore crash more often) install sliders more often. It would be great if rating tables were able to be more refined, but it's hard to create such detailed statistics with so few riders.

That's an interesting comment. If we collected the data (i.e. the presence or absence of frame sliders on all bikes over five years), then we could determine how the installation of frame sliders affects claims. As HERBXX pointed out, physical damage is only a small part of your overall premium. My guess is that GreyGhost would be correct -- the presence of frame sliders would end up as a proxy indicator for "aggressive riders", and would probably indicate a significant surcharge on AB/TPL.

It's kind of like when I told my perspective insurance company that my 91 mustang had an updated/higher performance braking system. You would think that a 5 lug conversion and cobra r brakes would make the car safer, but is was straight to special risk insurance for me if I switched . At the time they said that even an aftermarket spoiler would send it to special risk. I'm thinking they wouldn't have been less impressed with the cage and 5 point harness, again making the car safer .. sort of . They immediate assume your a street racer regardless of yr record. So if they determine that the sliders are some sort of ' racing' add on you might be screwed.

It's kind of like when I told my perspective insurance company that my 91 mustang had an updated/higher performance braking system. You would think that a 5 lug conversion and cobra r brakes would make the car safer, but is was straight to special risk insurance for me if I switched . At the time they said that even an aftermarket spoiler would send it to special risk. I'm thinking they wouldn't have been less impressed with the cage and 5 point harness, again making the car safer .. sort of . They immediate assume your a street racer regardless of yr record. So if they determine that the sliders are some sort of ' racing' add on you might be screwed.

It is my understanding that installing a cage on a street vehicle makes it almost uninsurable. Probably the same theory as the sliders, if you are driving normally on the street, why in gods name do you need a cage. The people with cages probably drive aggressively. I thought about putting a cage in my tiny death trap car, but it looked like it was going to be more trouble than I wanted.

Insurance (in Ontario at least) is setup to insure the average driver in the average car, the further you move away from that average, the more trouble they have rating you (very quickly reaching the point of being essentially uninsurable).

Used to do track days with it . Drove the car to and from the tracks

I'm pretty sure that the majority of insurers won't touch a vehicle that is used for racing purposes -- it would probably be a Facility risk.

Back
Top Bottom