Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation | Page 46 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation

No, it's about whether it's worth keeping them dedicated to motorcycles through the winter. If we don't use them, why not let cars park there off season. They want to see if there are enough winter riders to justify having them reserved year round, or to see if our riding season lasts longer than Montreal. Mississauga City Hall has a few spots in its underground garage reserved for motorcycles, but only from May through October.
Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense now.

Was there any discussion on reducing traffic congestion with incentives for riders (i.e continuing to have free parking) by not using their car?

Tory is supposed to be hell bent in reducing downtown traffic congestion, has anyone wrote to the new elected mayor and try to get him on our side?

Lots of good in there Face, thanks.

What are the scooter people doing about this? Do you know?

I suspect that few scooter riders are watching this at all. As long as the city allows them to park illegally on sidewalks, they have no need of on-street spaces. Things may change when the city decides that they need that revenue also, but by then it will likely be too late.

Thanks again Face.

I suspect that few scooter riders are watching this at all. As long as the city allows them to park illegally on sidewalks, they have no need of on-street spaces. Things may change when the city decides that they need that revenue also, but by then it will likely be too late.

Haven't they been cracking down pretty hard on sidewalk parking recently though?

At the rate the city is installing separated bike lanes, there soon won't be any street parking left. All the street parking on Wellesley St. has been removed and bike lanes installed leaving one lane of vehicle traffic each way. The war on cars is alive and well.

Disgusting, especially for a city with 8 months of winter.

I read all of it. Nice of you to discuss this and discuss the interest of "the community" but this last part i've put in bold makes me scratch my head a lot.

It's like saying "let's see how much usage the grocery store gets during the night to determine how viable of an option it is to expand business during business hours"

Today I was on my bike gift shopping and all the dedicated motorcycle parking at Eatons was taken by cars, I was forced to park elsewhere

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

There was one blitz, of sorts, but nothing beyond that I've seen. At least not in the Yonge and Dundas area.
Scooters get ticketed on public sidewalks pretty much every time; but it's a little more tricky on private property. They are definitely to be parked in legal spaces only (first hand experience, unfortunately). E-bikes, however, are being made/modified to look more and more like scooters and sometimes only way to tell would seem to be the lack of plates.

Scooters get ticketed on public sidewalks pretty much every time; but it's a little more tricky on private property. They are definitely to be parked in legal spaces only (first hand experience, unfortunately). E-bikes, however, are being made/modified to look more and more like scooters and sometimes only way to tell would seem to be the lack of plates.

I see scooters on both public and private property all the time, in downtown Toronto, that don't get ticketed. Literal dozens.

Simple: If it's got an exhaust it gets a ticket, and it can be worked out later in court.

I see scooters on both public and private property all the time, in downtown Toronto, that don't get ticketed. Literal dozens.

Simple: If it's got an exhaust it gets a ticket, and it can be worked out later in court.

If there is no plate how do they tell who the ticket is to be given to?

I like the ancillary benefits too (they give a list of them with the New York example at the bottom of the article). We'll see if any of that actually gets implemented here though. Hopefully?

To bring everyone up to date, I've had no luck working internally to stop staff bringing forward charging. The City Manager's office is busy with the budget and not interest in this issue. City Transportation and Toronto Parking Authority staff have taken the position that despite Council's actions to remove the direction to stop the motorcycle parking fee exemption when pay-by-plate is implemented, in response to our lobbying back in 2013, the final recommendation as approved is silent on charging. They therefore say that staff are not prohibited from bringing back a recommendation to charge in the future.

The Mayor's office supports staff’s position, and when I asked John Tory about this at the Scarborough Town Hall meeting on January 20[SUP]th[/SUP], he publicly stated that he supports charging at a proportional rate. The Mayor's office staff person I spoke with was concerned about the lack of notice and consultation, but trusts that staff will do this prior to bringing a report back. Given past history, I suspect that is highly unlikely. The end result is that a report will come to Public Works and Infrastructure Committee sometime this year, and it will appear on the agenda 5 days prior to the meeting. Since that meeting is the only opportunity for public deputations, we will need to be ready. I will monitor the agendas and let everyone know when it happens.

I have met with the Motorcycle & Moped Industry Council (MMIC) and the Motorcyclists Confederation of Canada (MCC), and we agreed to work together to coordinate a strategy to fight this when it comes forward. The first step will be an open meeting to be held at the Toronto Motorcycle show on Saturday February 21[SUP]st[/SUP]. Details still need to be coordinated, but I’ll get the info out as soon as it’s ready.

Given that we are now need to plan our response in advance of a meeting with an unknown date, we decided to set up a separate thread specifically to be used as an organizing tool. This thread will be made sticky as well. Here is the link:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...nse-Coordination-Thread&p=2266929#post2266929

We can still post general info and thoughts on this original thread, but the new thread should be the focus of our organized response, coordinating meetings, events, deputations, that kind of thing.

I've been riding my Honda C70 and I specifically asked a group of Toronto Parking cops one day a couple weeks ago if I can park on the side walk to which the declined and said I could only park on the street in Green P pay and display parking for free.
That aside I've only gotten 1 ticket for parking on the sidewalk, and every bike I've ever owned I've parked on the sidewalk. I just had to be smarter about where I parked. The one parking ticket I got for parking on the sidewalk was among bike racks on Duncan between Adelaide and King st parked with a variety of different scooters. I got the "on the boulevard" ticket. I was riding my CX500, after that I parked on Pearl street on the sidewalk in an entry way between some buildings in front of an unused door. Maybe a fire exit? I parked my CX there and my R1's, never had a problem. I'd leave it there for the entire day or night while I was working.

Obviously we're all on the new thread and somewhat or entirely on top of this topic, but let's not forget the change.org petition guys!

Back
Top Bottom