Motorcycle Parking Fee 2015 – Response Coordination Thread | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Parking Fee 2015 – Response Coordination Thread

On a parking related note:Looks like Tory is in the news today promoting the Green P app for streetside parking :http://www.640toronto.com/2016/10/2...me-available-for-on-street-parking-in-toronto

Maybe the report about charging motorcycles is waiting for this to become widely implemented. It would be much easier to implement a lower m/c rate thru the app, plus no issue with the stubs blowing away. But this would require each rider to set up a Green P account and have the app. If you read the fine print in the account agreement (at least the one issued when this was only usable in Green P lots), if you get a fine, they can automatically charge the fine against your account. I think your account also needs to be backed up by a credit card, which they could charge if your account runs too low. I'm also not sure how this would work if you're from out of town, don't want to set up the account, but still want to park your bike.

Right now, this is a convenient "additional" way for car drivers to pay to park. We'd need to look at the implications if it was the only way to pay, if they start charging motorcycles.

As long as the old machines exist with the paper slips and do not use license plates, we are fine. However, if they are changing the on-street machine interfaces to accept license plate entries as they add app capabilities, then we are likely toast soon unless they keep motorcycles exempt.

Is anyone in an area where they can take a look at one of these machines to see if they are actually changing the machine interface, along with adding the app location code sticker?

Last edited:
Here in Vancouver there is widespread license plate parking via an App, and motorcycles get to use a discounted rate when doing so.

There are also dedicated motorcycle spots that use the app, or a meter dedicated for those spots.

Its a lesser issue in Vancouver because its much easier to find free parking in general than in TO, but I agree with the above poster, that once plate parking is enabled in TO you will likely lose your free street parking

Here in Vancouver there is widespread license plate parking via an App, and motorcycles get to use a discounted rate when doing so.

There are also dedicated motorcycle spots that use the app, or a meter dedicated for those spots.

Its a lesser issue in Vancouver because its much easier to find free parking in general than in TO, but I agree with the above poster, that once plate parking is enabled in TO you will likely lose your free street parking

How does Vancouver deal with visiting bikes? Do you have to register to get the app?

Ugh, keep that crap out of this thread. Bicyclists are fine as they are; the same thing can be said about the countless, inconsiderate pedestrians that obey no laws at all.

Bicycling requires one main skill: common sense. If you use common sense in every attempt at navigating the roadways, you will survive and likely not piss anybody off while doing so.

Thanks for the update, Face!

No. I won't. And no, they're not fine as they are.

They abuse every single road preference they have been given and behave like total pr!cks with total disregard of road laws.

Let us know what happens the next time you cross a street at a pedestrian Xing and one of these primadonnas blows inches past you.

Anyway... this thread is regarding motorcycle parking, you were saying, guys?

Last edited:
Nothing on the November 21st agenda. Next meeting, January 18th.

Thanks for staying on top of this! Let me know how I can be of assistance in this cause. I would be willing to deliver a deputation to council when the time comes. In the mean while, I am going to work on creating a mailing campaign to send to our councillors.

The following councillors are responsible for the comitee that is looking into free on street parking:

Jaye Robinson (Chair) – Ward 25, Don Valley West councillor_robinson@toronto.ca

Mary-Margaret McMahon (Vice Chair) – Ward 32, Beaches East York councillor_mcmahon@toronto.ca

Stephen Holiday – Ward 3, Etobicoke Centre councillor_holyday@toronto.ca

Chin Lee – Ward 41, Scarborough Rouge River councillor_lee@toronto.ca

Ron Moeser – Ward 44, Scarborough East councillor_moeser@toronto.ca

Anthony Perruzza – Ward 8, York West councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca

Nothing on the November 21st agenda. Next meeting, January 18th.

Last edited:
Otomoto, thanks for the help. Lots of coordinated deputations and Councillor lobbying will be great when this comes forward. Right now I'm content to let sleeping dogs lie. I'm not sure why it hasn't come forward yet, but if staff are either quietly dropping it (possible but not overly likely) or waiting, possibly until app pay is more completely rolled out, I'm not sure if a public campaign now will get much traction.

If something comes out, we will have to react quickly. We will also need to review exactly what is proposed and deal with the specifics at the time. At that point we will have to mobilize.

Nothing on tomorrow's meeting. Next meeting is February 28.

Nothing on the February 28th agenda. The next Public Works & Infrastructure Committee meeting is April 12.

Nothing on the February 28th agenda. The next Public Works & Infrastructure Committee meeting is April 12.
Thanks again Face for doing this continually! Next meeting seems to be around the time when all the bikes will be out and about with this weather outlook

Just found out that I'm getting moved to an uptown office as of the 20th...definitely interested in seeing what happens as now it's a decision to go via TTC, GO...or bike. Bike's preferred but will see with parking, and traffic, and idiots parking near the car....but still would prefer the bike.

Which general area uptown?
Just found out that I'm getting moved to an uptown office as of the 20th...definitely interested in seeing what happens as now it's a decision to go via TTC, GO...or bike. Bike's preferred but will see with parking, and traffic, and idiots parking near the car....but still would prefer the bike.

Yonge/Sheppard. Going from Square One area.
See if the barrier for the parking lot on the Yonge and Sheppard mall give you a gap to ride in and out without paying. There is a private parking area behind smokey joes that can be used during the day (driveway) this was years a go, not sure the situation right now. There are many residential homes within walking distance, maybe speak to a home owner to rent a spot on their outside parking, I am sure you can arrange something cheaper than parking fees or even the subway fee daily.

Awesome thanks for the tip! I saw some people advertising their spots for $150/month which isn't all too bad considering TTC is $120/month. I'll have to look at a few options. Honestly best/easiest might be taking the GO as it's walking distance from my house at Square One...but it's the GO...not the bike...LoL I'll go there one weekend and just talk to local homeowners to see if there's some decent offers.

Back
Top Bottom