1029477513_G3Ms3-L.jpg

Crashing their bike in the Himalayan Mountains in India

IMG_4646-L.jpg

Crashing their bike in the Sahara Desert in Morocco

DSCN1249-L.jpg

Crashing their bike in the Colombian Jungle in South America

DSC3641-L.jpg

Crashing their bike in the Rocky Mountains in BC

You made me feel such an amateur, I dropped my bike last year near Moab and totally forgot to take pictures. Now how could I start an argument with you without such pictures? ?

I use both because both have strengths and weaknesses. A Garmin Zumo 595 and Samsung Note 8. With Tasker my android phone is completely voice controlled so I never have to take my hands off the bars. Its less legible in sunlight and the temporary download for offline maps can be a pain if you are already in an area where there is no signal and you did not download the map. However I find "nearest gas station, nearest tim hortons, store hours, listen and voice respond to MMS/SMS messages, playing music, radio streams, automatic rain warning etc is awesome. The Garmin is rock solid and always has a signal, curvy road routes are fun, the history of your rides you just convert the tracks to routes and you have the rides for the year to repeat or share. However its all touch screen, media playback is clunky and Basecamp is not the best route creator, not as easy as GMaps. It also has a feature called back track, I lost my wallet once and was quickly able to find it using that feature. Having both allows me to keep on the main route, but use the other GPS for POIs, or quick off route destinations and never change the main route.

Last edited:
I have a zumo 500 that travelled in my tankbag for the last 70+K km. I preferred to use my phone in a Ram mount, due to currency of maps, ability to change my route on the spot to a restaurant or hotel that I just booked in 2 minutes on the side of the road. And I'm lazy, I don't have time to plan, use software designed 2 decades ago for routing, I just have an idea, it takes my a few minutes to map 10 stops in google maps, while I also run Waze and whatever other app may give me the info I need. Water resistance has not been an issue from Samsung S5, S7, iPhone 7 and now I use an 11 Pro. I also did not have any camera issues, nonetheless I did not try to activate it while riding, so probably stabilization wasn't active.

Valid points on ruggedness and touch issues. Particularly the last one - I consider getting something like Wunderlinq as touch wearing insulated waterproof gloves, on a rainy day is a tough one. To be honest I mastered the ability to remove my glove while riding and set the phone were I need it in the app flow, when something goes wrong, but that is a stupid thing I do :( This is were a classic gps wins hands down .

Lightcycle : or not :D

Henry-Crew-youngest-rider-rtw-Ducati-Scrambler-2-768x907.jpg

So how did Henry’s RTW quest come about in the first place? “I was putting in 60-70-hour weeks and getting pretty depressed with work in general,” he says. He kept planning small trips on his bike that would never happen because he was working so much. And then one morning he turned on his computer and an article came up about Kane Avellano being the youngest man to circumnavigate the globe on a motorcycle. “As soon as I saw I could beat it I decided to do it, right there and then.”

Eleven months later Henry was on the road, green to adventure riding, with no planned route. His quest for the record attempt had a few requirements. He needed to start and end in the same place, travel at least 24,500 miles (he ended up riding 20,000 extra miles) and hit several antipodal points (opposite points in relation to the globe) proven by evidentiary receipts, time stamped photos or videos, witness reports or GPS tracks, that is if Henry had been using a GPS. In another unconventional move Henry navigated his entire journey using only google maps and his iPhone 6.

I don’t know, but I’d guess the number is declining as phones get better.

I'm looking forward to my waterproof iPhone 12 this year ...I can lose the baggy if it rains :giggle: and OLED screen promises wicked bright. I will however use the straps more often. :coffee:

Yay, a thread with points regurgitated ad nauseam. Can I get in?

GPS all the way for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zumo XT.Looks like a very good unit.

I'm looking forward to my waterproof iPhone 12 this year ...I can lose the baggy if it rains :giggle: and OLED screen promises wicked bright. I will however use the straps more often. :coffee:

might as well keep this going

what does that i-jewellery cost? over a grand?

I'll stick with a dedicated bike GPS and an android that gets replaced every 2 years
phone stays safe/dry in a pannier while I ride, and it's turned off - to hell with notifications

and have enough $$ left over for a nice pair of gloves :)

Zumo XT.Looks like a very good unit.

First, I have heard of it. Looks like a very nice unit, price is a semi-reasonable $500 too

A little bit dearer than that.

My bad, forgot to add the USD. Still a decent price compared to the 595

That brings up the question of whether they will update the 595 firmware to the more modern XT design, I'm going to go with a 99% no

It's all about what you need vs what you want.
I'll stick with my old waterproofed nuvi.

Back
Top Bottom