Motorcycle Modificiations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Modificiations

Wyled

As a young(er) kid, growing up, I always took interest in things where customizability was a large aspect of said activity. Whether it be video games, or legos, or websites where you design your own cars, something about customization or the ability to make something truly unique to how you wanted/envisioned really stood out for me. It's definitely still with me...

That being said, now that I've got my own motorcycle, i've taken the time to do a lot of work on it to change the entire look to fit my vision and look the way i want. i'm sure many of you can say the same. So I wanted to ask a few questions and provoke some though on the topic of what makes your bike yours'! modifications!

So the questions I wanted to ask y'all are:
1. What do you consider to be your favourite/top 3 mods on your bike? why? Just your personal favs on your machine.
2. What mod do you have that you believe is highly underrated? why? Maybe something small but changes everything, or, something you think more people should know about.
3. What mods do you think aren't worth it? (could be because of price, durability, difficulty of installation) anything and why

these questions are really open and vague im just super interested to hear what people think. everything is subjective and i'm very intrigued to new ideas and seeing what others like/dislike and why. i love talking mods

I guess i'll start

so,
1. i really like my headlight. it hasn't been installed yet as i just got it but it's new led with integrated turn signals and i think that is super cool. i love my exhaust system, it's supposedly a full system but i'm not quite sure. it sounds really cool. my renthal handlebar and grips really change the look of my bike and the grips stay extra tacky since theyre kevlar infused
2. would have to either be my license plate cover that keeps my actual plate clean, or maybe my brake light modulator that flashes the lights as i press the brakes to alert drivers.
3. i think maybe a full system on a bike that isn't ever going to see a track. also (not that they're not worth it)but most LEDs are sold expensive from bike shops and can be bought cheaper on sites like aliexpress

These days, I tend towards practical, as opposed to aesthetic, modifications.

Not to say I've never put an open clutch cover on a dry clutch because I like the looks and not because it helps cool the clutch. Or install a full-race exhaust system because I like the sound, not because of any horsepower gains...

But my top mods on a motorcycle would have to be:

1. Aftermarket seat. I like a seat that I can sit on for 8-10 hours a day when I'm touring.
2. Luggage. Tank bag, topcase, panniers, drybags. To store everything I may need for multiple days (or years) on the road
3. Fuse block to power additional electrical devices: GPS, USB charger, 12V sockets, heated gear

Others outside of the top three:

4. Touring windscreen. If I was getting bad buffeting, but the last few bikes I've been okay not modifying the stock shield
5. Shorty levers. I like two finger pulls without the lever hitting the back of my ring and pinky fingers.
6. Throttle rocker. Helps keep the throttle open without fatiguing your hands.

These days, I tend towards practical, as opposed to aesthetic, modifications.

Not to say I've never put an open clutch cover on a dry clutch because I like the looks and not because it helps cool the clutch. Or install a full-race exhaust system because I like the sound, not because of any horsepower gains...

But my top mods on a motorcycle would have to be:

1. Aftermarket seat. I like a seat that I can sit on for 8-10 hours a day when I'm touring.
2. Luggage. Tank bag, topcase, panniers, drybags. To store everything I may need for multiple days (or years) on the road
3. Fuse block to power additional electrical devices: GPS, USB charger, 12V sockets, heated gear

Others outside of the top three:

4. Touring windscreen. If I was getting bad buffeting, but the last few bikes I've been okay not modifying the stock shield
5. Shorty levers. I like two finger pulls without the lever hitting the back of my ring and pinky fingers.
6. Throttle rocker. Helps keep the throttle open without fatiguing your hands.

Definetly did not even consider the fuse block despite running so much electrics on my bike. that's smart. The aftermarket seat also sounds great although they're too expensive for me to justify. Huge fan of the shorty levers got myself a pair too... is it weird i do three finger pulls? lol i tried doing two but it just feels awkward to me.

Definetly did not even consider the fuse block despite running so much electrics on my bike. that's smart. The aftermarket seat also sounds great although they're too expensive for me to justify. Huge fan of the shorty levers got myself a pair too... is it weird i do three finger pulls? lol i tried doing two but it just feels awkward to me.
Depends how bad your brakes are ;) with some one finger is perrrrrfect

You sound like a cafe chopper bobber type (y) have fun with it, ride safe & keep the rubber side down.

Horn
GPS
Relocating the trunk further back

Gotta get me one of them horn things. It's doable now that the button is freed up.

After reading this thread,i understand the reason for your "home mechanic" thread.

I have a Harley - they demand that you constantly throw money at them to add stuff!

-4" handlebar risers, changed the ergonomics completely and makes the bike way more comfortable for me.
-Quick-release windshield, backrest/luggage rack and saddlebags. Easily convert from city cruiser to long-distance tourer.

I've also avoided spending big money on chrome and focused on inexpensive (For a Harley!) little things like chrome wheel spacers, headlight and turn signal trim, etc, which add detail to the bike and personalize it without making it gaudy.

For the record, I run quiet stock exhaust with Vance and Hines intake and FP3 tuner.

BTW, how do you not know if your exhaust is a full system or not?

Frame sliders are a must on for me, other than that mine already came with lowered clipon handle bars & integrated tail light.

Have shorty levers on order and most importantly a full Akra exhaust being put on my Fz07 this weekend, you either saw off your stock exhaust and jerry rig a slip on or replace everything including the headers, went with latter since you don't need to retune the ECU.

Sounds like a low rumbling V8 with aftermarket systems, YT videos don't do it justice.

I have a Harley - they demand that you constantly throw money at them to add stuff!

-4" handlebar risers, changed the ergonomics completely and makes the bike way more comfortable for me.
-Quick-release windshield, backrest/luggage rack and saddlebags. Easily convert from city cruiser to long-distance tourer.

I've also avoided spending big money on chrome and focused on inexpensive (For a Harley!) little things like chrome wheel spacers, headlight and turn signal trim, etc, which add detail to the bike and personalize it without making it gaudy.

For the record, I run quiet stock exhaust with Vance and Hines intake and FP3 tuner.

BTW, how do you not know if your exhaust is a full system or not?
Yup the small little details are where it’s at! Well the seller told me it was full. But upon research unless the headers are from a different afternarket company, I’m not quite sure the muffler portion of the exhaust made headers and midpipe for my bike just the end can.

Frame sliders are a must on for me, other than that mine already came with lowered clipon handle bars & integrated tail light.

Have shorty levers on order and most importantly a full Akra exhaust being put on my Fz07 this weekend, you either saw off your stock exhaust and jerry rig a slip on or replace everything including the headers, went with latter since you don't need to retune the ECU.

Sounds like a low rumbling V8 with aftermarket systems, YT videos don't do it justice.
That’s super awesome. Curious whats the reason behind no ECU retune

That’s super awesome. Curious whats the reason behind no ECU retune

Akrapovic made the exhaust specifically so it wouldn't require an retune for the full Titanium version which is mostly why I took the plunge on buying it. There is a Carbon version which is less expensive but does require a tune, I'd sent an email inquiry and they confirmed that Titanium one runs out of the box with the stock tune correctly, I'd still assume it's on the lean side just like the stock but still one less hassle to deal with.

no modifications, but some add-ons

comfy seat
good screen
heated grips
good lighting
luggage
center stand

Capo is the only bike I've bought that requires nothing done to it
well maybe think about a louder horn

RDL Seat
Larger windshield
Givi trunk
GPS + heated gear connection to battery
Air horn
Headlight modulator
Throttle Rocker

So the questions I wanted to ask y'all are:
1. What do you consider to be your favourite/top 3 mods on your bike? why? Just your personal favs on your machine.
2. What mod do you have that you believe is highly underrated? why? Maybe something small but changes everything, or, something you think more people should know about.
3. What mods do you think aren't worth it? (could be because of price, durability, difficulty of installation) anything and why
1. Favourite/top 3 mods: Helmet Guardian - Dual helmet lock license plate bracket which frees up room in the side cases, Warm'safe dual heated clothing controller that lets me turn up the heat in my gloves by 13%, while turning down the heat in my jacket by 7%, all the while moving at 149km/hr, lockable & hardwired GPS mount on top of dash means my gps is always on the bike, is always connected to the bike and sits in the perfect location for field of view and ease of use.
2. Underrated mod: Deals Gap stickers, because they gain respect from people who haven't been there.
3. Mods that aren't worth it: super loud pipes, because time spent on skills beats money spent on sounds

The only mod common to most of the bikes I've owned, is lighting. Conspicuity is #2 on my survival list.#1 is undistracted defensive riding.
Big, bright amber lights make a huge difference in the number of cagers that turn left in front of you.

The only mod common to most of the bikes I've owned, is lighting. Conspicuity is #2 on my survival list.#1 is undistracted defensive riding.
Big, bright amber lights make a huge difference in the number of cagers that turn left in front of you.
As angered as some people get, I tend to keep my high beam on for this reason exactly.
I accept pissing people off so long as it reduces the risk of blood pissing out of me after an accident with an oblivious driver.

Back
Top Bottom