Motorcycle Airbag vests (fortnine) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Airbag vests (fortnine)

I was going through the comments and very unfortunate to come across a few where the folks got rear-ended. What do you guys think of a neck brace? I think EVS makes a few decent ones for karting and motorcycle.

I bought a Helite Turtle 2 off @oomis about a year ago and used it all of last season.
It’s got a tether but it never got in the way. Vest was comfortable to use to the point that I never really noticed it.
The only time I didn’t wear it last season was the couple of times I wore a backpack.
I haven’t ‘tested’ it yet, and don’t plan to, but I’m hoping if I really need it, it will do what it’s supposed to do.

After reading about the poor guy near Cobourg that was found in a ditch, are any of these smart airbag vests calling 911 when they pop?

After reading about the poor guy near Cobourg that was found in a ditch, are any of these smart airbag vests calling 911 when they pop?
Pretty sure the Alpinestars app doesn't, though it definitely has the tech as it knows the instant it's discharged. Would be fairly easy to put in a timer with an alarm saying 911 will be called in 30, 29, 28 etc. unless disarmed. Not sure why they don't, as lots of cars do that now if their airbag goes off...

After reading about the poor guy near Cobourg that was found in a ditch, are any of these smart airbag vests calling 911 when they p
That is an excellent point.
Do not know if this will help. I always carry a fox whistle when I am on the bike or my bicycles, ski ing.
3 blasts on the whistle is the International signal for help.
Not the same as a signal from a satellite.

Eat Sleep Ride app's Crashlight feature can do this:

"Once activated, you have three-minutes to cancel the CRASHLIGHT notification. If CRASHLIGHT is not cancelled at the end of 180 seconds, the rider's contacts are notified via phone call, SMS and email with the riders last known GPS coordinates. Those notified can immediately take action."

If they can do it, it should be a no-brainer for Alpinestars to do the same, and presumably their crash detection algorithm is way more advanced.

If they can do it, it should be a no-brainer for Alpinestars to do the same, and presumably their crash detection algorithm is way more advanced.
The Alpinestars app already tracks your location and records speed (though only up to 110 km/h, after which it's all the same: >110 km/h).

To be fair to them, the technology has developed at lightning speed over the past few years, and keeping apps reliable and stable (especially on Android with the myriad devices and OS iterations out there) is a huge task. They can only add so many features so quickly while keeping things reliable enough to be used for life safety.

Many were upset about the in&motion subscription model, but one huge benefit of that is the ability to keep churning out updates. Look at Windows and Office 365 now. Instead of landmark software releases, they're constantly updated in a drip feed of feature adds and refinements.

It's such an obvious safety feature that I have to think they're working on it for a future release of the app. It would certainly offer something the tethered airbags couldn't, which would sell units...

The Alpinestars app already tracks your location and records speed (though only up to 110 km/h, after which it's all the same: >110 km/h).

To be fair to them, the technology has developed at lightning speed over the past few years, and keeping apps reliable and stable (especially on Android with the myriad devices and OS iterations out there) is a huge task. They can only add so many features so quickly while keeping things reliable enough to be used for life safety.

Many were upset about the in&motion subscription model, but one huge benefit of that is the ability to keep churning out updates. Look at Windows and Office 365 now. Instead of landmark software releases, they're constantly updated in a drip feed of feature adds and refinements.

It's such an obvious safety feature that I have to think they're working on it for a future release of the app. It would certainly offer something the tethered airbags couldn't, which would sell units...

They don't need to update the vest, just the phone app, which doesn't affect the safety of the vest. I'm sure they update that app regularly anyways, and it's just a few additional API calls to perform basic phone functions. Unlike ESR which needs to perform the crash detection algorithm on the phone itself.

They don't need to update the vest, just the phone app, which doesn't affect the safety of the vest. I'm sure they update that app regularly anyways, and it's just a few additional API calls to perform basic phone functions. Unlike ESR which needs to perform the crash detection algorithm on the phone itself.
I don't think 3rd party app can initiate a phone call on iOS without user confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom