Motocamping Food? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motocamping Food?

For a treat there’s some “gourmet” options https://www.altitude-sports.com/collections/gear-food-beverages-energy-dehydated-foods

That site does wicked fast shipping too and if you have the membership you get a bunch of perks like free shipping/returns/5%-15% off etc.

In Loblaws/groceries if you hunt around there are cheap Thai meals that you just add boiling water to. The Phad Thai meals are great. Really tasty stuff, light and super cheap. Also there’s a sachet of chopped nuts/veggies/flavouring so they are far from bland. Find an ethnic store and you might come across foil packed shredded pork (Latin American/Mexican) that you just heat in a pan and put in a bun and hey presto ….pulled pork sandwich. These don’t require refrigeration either. I like the tins of fancy tuna with peppers/lemon and dill/tomato. Eat cold on its own, put in a bun or throw onto the top of some noodles or boiled rice.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Good ideas, keep ‘em coming.

And hell yeah I like ramen. 😉

For our moto camping (generally as a rule we rough/vagrant camp) we stop each afternoon to buy beer and anything you can cook on a stick or in the fire (think baked potatoes or warming a can of beans). Pro tip - hot dogs are fine in a tortilla and they travel way better than a loaf of bread or buns.
Breakfast is usually a warm beer while taking down the tent, possibly augmented by a granola bar or piece of fruit. You can get by w/o coffee believe it or not.
Lunch is usually a road side fry stand or maybe a gas station sandwhich.

I don't think too many people would like to travel as we do but that's ok.

So, the trip up the JBR ended up getting scratched because of the dam tours having ended. Next year...again.

Our back up plan of going down to VA/WV/PA/whereever was also scrathed as for the THIRD time in a row I've planned to go down there the whole area was covered in rain. For days. Flooding rain in some areas.
So we went east instead. Ended up having a great time. Camped every night, some nights in State Parks, 1 night in a private campground, and 1 night true wild camping about 10km outside the nearest town.

This was a State of NY sanctioned wild camping area about a half hour east of Watertown outside some podunk little town.
Separate sites, outhouse on each one (and a nice one, clean too!), fire pit, and the forest. Totally free. Awesome.

1663279800776.png
1663279651742.png

This was a random state park we wheeled into on a whim. Best part about camping this time of year...lots of availability. We asked the guy at the gatehouse to recommend a site and he said this was a regular favourite - waterfront.

1663280086529.png

We wandered east and did the Kangamanga highway (nice, spent a night there at another state campground...zero cell service though LOL) and then worked our way to Mount Washington in New Hampshire.

THAT was epic. We were going to do Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid as my friend I was with had never been up it either, but the clouds did not play nice for our days in that area - 300 foot ceiling. Mount Washington on the other hand, not so much! PERFECT conditions.
1663280279977.png

The highway up and down to/from the summit took us about 30 minutes each way. Second gear the entire way up and first gear the entire way down...and even first gear wouldn't hold the bike back in spots. The road is NOT for the faint of heart LOL. It makes Whiteface look like a country drive in comparison. No guardrails!

1663280375219.png

It's a whole different world once you're above the tree line.

1663280470262.png

You won't go fast. These drops with no guardrails make you think really hard about care and control lol.

For anyone who hasn't done it, it's seriously worth the $25 fee for motorcycles. Just do it. And there's some awesome roads between here and there as well.

Since my buddy I was riding with ended up bringing his trailer behind his goldwing we ended up having a decent amount of space when it was all said and done, so we didn't end up rouging it for food in the end as we had some expanded cooking options, and a cooler for meal options. We shopped as we went along, buying the nights dinner around our lunch stop through the day. The night in the state forest we found ground chuck at the podunk grocery store and mixed these bad boys up for the BioLite BBQ lol.

1663280660042.png
Enjoyed dinner before we lit the campfire. Got gouged by podunk gas station for $10 USD for a bag of wood. But at least it was good wood.

1663280709944.png

Addition of a campstove courtesy of my friend having his trailer opened up meal possibilities. Found this at a small town grocery store. Cut up the sausage and sauteed it up all, threw it in Fajitas with a bottle of 99c BBQ sauce, and it was awesome.

1663284649912.png

And we moved along to different places.

1663280781947.png

All in all, a great trip. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Having a stove and griddle opened up options for meals as well, but oatmeal was a standard for breakfast and we ate lunches out every day, the one splurge of the trip really.

Finally got to travel on the bike with my new A-Frame easy set tent. I constantly ribbed my friend the whole trip as I set my tent up from bag to full blown useable tent in literally (I mean literally) 30 seconds every night while his took 15-20 LOL. And packing it up is under 60 seconds. Strapped it on my beer box cargo rack and it wasn't as awkward looking as I thought it might be actually, although it travelled in the trailer most days. It works, and it's awesome.

Already thinking about a 1 or 2 nighter again somewhere in a week or three.

Last edited:
It gets way easier if someone has a trailer.......

We could have cooked everything we ended up eating with just the biolite in the end, but the stove was nice, as was the cooler for refrigeration.

I'm looking for a open frame style single wheel trailer now. I don't want a big one as it would crimp my riding style, cost more fuel, and I don't need that much space really.

Just a spot for a cooler, maybe the tent length wise, and a storage bin of some sort to hold things like the biolite and other camping gear to open up space in the saddle bags and beer box for other weather sensitive luggage.

I saw a guy at Dover a few years ago who had exactly what I'd like but not sure if it was homemade or not.

Do you like instant Ramen noodles?

View attachment 57141
No, can't say I enjoy Ramen.

The last Ramen I ate was purchased when all I was $1 to my name. They were 12/$1 at Knob Hill Farms, hopefully I'll never need them.

Be careful on some of those mountain roads that are clay based. Not bad when it's dry, but slick when wet.

We ended up in Algonquin at Arowhon Pines. The leaves there had already started to change.
In a couple of weeks there'll be people stopped in live traffic lanes.
wiGPPRkm.jpg
NhcUg8qm.jpg

PQZ4hgem.jpg
kkPb6yGm.jpg

z1JGblXm.jpg
LmZoqw3m.jpg

6M9kc6Gm.jpg
bTmX2Aum.jpg

No moose, no bears, no wolves, no beavers.
Lots of loons, squirrels and chipmunks, one bunny, and a few ducks, geese and other birds.
We did see a deer on the way home outside the park, and a coyote on a walk at home.

Back
Top Bottom