Mortgage renewal term question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mortgage renewal term question

Torren

Site Supporter
For those in the financial world a quick question about mortgage renewal terms

Recenty got my renewal the mail. Sometimes things look too good to be true. Previously had a 5yr fixed, looking to do it again. This time around the rate for 5yr is fine. Similar to last time a little lower. They offered a 59m mortgage for almost 2 points less then the 60m 5 year term. What am I missing
Same type of mortgage, same terms.. Just 59m instead of 60. Anyone have any insight?

Recenty got my renewal the mail. Sometimes things look too good to be true. Previously had a 5yr fixed, looking to do it again. This time around the rate for 5yr is fine. Similar to last time a little lower. They offered a 59m mortgage for almost 2 points less then the 60m 5 year term. What am I missing
Same type of mortgage, same terms.. Just 59m instead of 60. Anyone have any insight?

Two points is HUGE. You sure it's not 2/10's (0.20, rather than 2.0)?
Either way, you can't lose by taking the 59.
Back when I had a mortgage, I used to love shopping it around. Spend 45 minutes working the phone, and beat down the original holder for a 1/4 to 1/2 point. Worked almost every time.

Whatever they are offering you, you can do better.

I had a mortgage renewal offer but decided to go 5 year fixed instead of variable, So they resent a renewal. Just for ***** and giggles i called up my mortgage broker who right off the bad knocked 0.1% off (2.99 to 2.89). Called the morgage and said sorry i'm going with these guys. "Okay, we'll match it...." So i called the mortgage broker again and she said okay, i can do 2.79 but thats it. So i went with her again, also because shes a friend of the family i would have gone with her even if she didnt match it.

Throw some numbers up for us. BTW, you wont touch 2.79 5 year fixed now :D, 3 months ago, sure.

Read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/tim-paziuk/opposite-mortgage-strategy_b_3749752.html

Lock it in. ASAP! In the last two months the 5 year interest rate has risen three times. This is also the reason for the sudden spike in housing purchases in July/Aug. People who were on the fence about purchasing are pulling the trigger to lock in a rate before it goes further up.

Last edited:
Yup. If they're sending you the offer just consider it a starting point...

I remember when my first mortgage came up for renewal. The rate they offered was way higher than it should of been. So I went over to ING and got an awesome rate. CIBC called me and asked why I changed to ING. When I told them because the rate they offered was way to high they actually said to me that they could have matched it. I laughed at the girl and told her that perhaps next time they should give me their best rate up front.

59 month is 3.11% and the 60 month is 4.91% so a 1.8% difference for the sake of 30 days. I know I could do better if I shopped around and haggled a bit, but im pretty content with that.

It just seems to easy and wanted to make sure there was not any known tricks or pitfalls to it.

Back
Top Bottom