moral question: when is it ok to cross double yellow? | GTAMotorcycle.com

moral question: when is it ok to cross double yellow?

ducati rider

so let's say u r at this corner. u want to corner a little faster so u need to cross double yellow into the oncoming lane to apex the corner. normally u would not but since u can clearly see there are no one coming in the opposite way. would it be alright to do it?

Start a poll.

If enough people agree that it is moral to cross a double yellow, print it out and show it to the next cop that stops you for illegally crossing a double yellow.

You just made my day.

c'mon, i'm sure many of u have done it. lol.

hogging left lane is technically illegal. many people do it and piss off people behind trying to pass.

going 10kph over the limit is illegal. everyone does it on a daily basis.

cross double yellow when no cars are coming the opposite way. no one knows you did it. no harm done.

*flame suit on* lol

. . . . Never. Take it to the track.

I didn't know that streets were the track!

If you need to do it do it at night when there is little to no traffic or slow down and let the car make it through the turn prior to gunning it. I see cars go wide on turns like these all the time so your taking a big chance.

Ride safe

I'm glad that you have the psychic ability to foresee all possible problems associated with this manoever before they potentially happen.

by the way i most likely will never do such thing. i just want to know what y'all think.

I think the consensus is; not to do it.

I believe that most GTAM members like to follow and obey rules that relate to riding safe!

It's amazing how many people have crashes with things they didn't see coming and where they "thought" the way was clear.

what i meant was, if the corner REALLY is like that. what if u can clearly see for at least a few hundred meters that there isn't a car coming, and there aren't any hidden driveways.

funny story:

yellow line markings dont have any legal meaning in this province

silly but true

solid or broken, a yellow line is only a guide. a solid yellow line is merely advice that this might not be the safest place to pass.

what actually matters is where you are. IE on a turn, on a crest, before a tunnel, before RR tracks --- all those places are illegal to pass

but if there's a mile of solid yellow (single, double -- doesnt matter) and the road is flat, straight and clear, there is nothing in the HTA preventing you from crossing that line

thats as far as passing goes

wandering into the opposite lane of traffic just to widen your line is never too legal

Last edited:
so let's say u r at this corner. u want to corner a little faster so u need to cross double yellow into the oncoming lane to apex the corner. normally u would not but since u can clearly see there are no one coming in the opposite way. would it be alright to do it?

Are you sure your inability to hit the apex is sole limiting factor in you going faster?? Betcha you can go faster without having to resort to crossing the centre-line..and when you can't go any faster without crossing the centre-line, I betcha won't care anymore about going faster by crossing the centre-line.. :)

funny story:

yellow line markings dont have any legal meaning in this province

silly but true

solid or broken, a yellow line is only a guide. a solid yellow line is merely advice that this might not be the safest place to pass.

what actually matters is where you are. IE on a turn, on a crest, before a tunnel, before RR tracks --- all those places are illegal to pass

but if there's a mile of solid yellow (single, double -- doesnt matter) and the road is flat, straight and clear, there is nothing in the HTA preventing you from crossing that line

thats as far as passing goes

wandering into the opposite lane of traffic just to widen your line is never too legal

Thumbs up to this. I'm shocked how many people in this thread believe it's illegal. I am by NO means recommending it, however it's completely legit.

Stupid in a lot of cases, but completely legal.

Back
Top Bottom