Moose roast | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moose roast

timtune

Site Supporter
Cousin gave me some moose to roast. Any suggestions on how??

Slow Cooker - Google recipes.
I've had moose many times (usually as burgers) and always enjoyed it.

Slow cooker or Dutch oven , it’s super lean so add moisture , I like two cups of decent red wine , big white onion diced , some carrot chopped very fine and some rosemary , salt pepper. Once roast is done which is all day in a slow cooker or 3.5 hrs at 350 in oven. Take roast out and wrap in poly film tightly, then a big towel and put it in a picnic cooler and ignore it for ONE hour. Meanwhile take a hand blender and purée all the happiness in the pot . Use some roux to thicken , remember it’s a sauce not pudding . Strain it out through a large seive and float a few pats of butter into the sauce so it’s shiney and looks nice . Cut roast and put on top of big dollop of mashed potatoes, fresh sprig of rosemary on top . If you have some , whisk some Parmesan cheese into the potatoes. Any root vegetable makes a good side .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Slow cooker or Dutch oven , it’s super lean so add moisture , I like two cups of decent red wine , big white onion diced , some carrot chopped very fine and some rosemary , salt pepper. Once roast is done which is all day in a slow cooker or 3.5 hrs at 350 in oven. Take roast out and wrap in poly film tightly, then a big towel and put it in a picnic cooler and ignore it for ONE hour. Meanwhile take a hand blender and purée all the happiness in the pot . Use some roux to thicken , remember it’s a sauce not pudding . Strain it out through a large seive and float a few pats of butter into the sauce so it’s shiney and looks nice . Cut roast and put on top of big dollop of mashed potatoes, fresh sprig of rosemary on top . If you have some , whisk some Parmesan cheese into the potatoes. Any root vegetable makes a good side .

Sounds delicious. I made sous-vide blade roast for the MIL birthday on the weekend. 30 hours at 131 and a few minutes under the broiler and it was fantastic.

Got anything for Bear roasts?

I have one in the freezer - my late dog loved them, she wasn't picky on how they were cooked. I can tolerate bear sausages but have yet to man-up to a bear roast. I think they are twice as lean as a moose.

I haven’t done bear in many years but my process was similar. I’m not doing any red game meat less than pretty much well , since nobody vaccinates bears or moose and the risk of parasites and worms are a real thing , unless cooked well. Bear is usually never as lean as moose , they have such a different diet. Also depends if it was a spring or fall harvested bear . I really like a jammy fruit sauce with bear , tart cranberry goes well, if you have time cook down some pears and mix some rosemary into it . Just a touch of salt makes the pears brighten in flavour.

Got anything for Bear roasts?

I have one in the freezer - my late dog loved them, she wasn't picky on how they were cooked. I can tolerate bear sausages but have yet to man-up to a bear roast. I think they are twice as lean as a moose.
A friend gave me some last year. It was good. I'll try to get a recepie.

Is Moose like Caribou? I had Caribou Stifado once. It’s sort of a stew cooked with a little vinegar, tenderizes the meat and it tasted delicious.

Rabbit and partridge stew, I could eat every meal.

There are tons of great ways to make partridge , pheasants, grouse into a nice meal. And all tasty . Rabbit makes a really good pasta sauce , and at least you can get rabbit in a grocery store . In Ontario you can buy red deer and elk raised commercially and some bison , but moose / bear / caribou you need to have a hunter buddy . It’s sort of F’d up , Que allows hunters to sell meat to restaurants, Ont prevents sale of wild game. Too bad as it’s a great protein source and we have lots . The UK allows sale of grouse and pheasant and rabbit to the food trade and in season most pubs have menu specials.
I no longer shoot animals, no longer my thing , so my supply comes from benevolent friends .
Wild boar is on every menu in Tuscany, wish that could happen here lol

A friend gave me some bear roast last year. It was good. I'll try to get a recepie.

"Same as beef. Whatever spices you like. But I would do it in the sleeve or slow cooker. And it takes long time to make it tender."

Back
Top Bottom