Mid calf riding boots. Suggestions. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mid calf riding boots. Suggestions.

MacDoc

Site Supporter

FORMA ADVENTURE LOW BOOTS

Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at Sep, 29    2023    11.50.17 PM.jpg
The Forma Adventure Low Boots are perfect for adventure touring riders with larger calves. Equipped with a vintage leather finish and Drytex waterproof/breathable lining, the Adventure Low Boots keep your feet dry without limiting range of motion. The double density sole offers superb grip on the bike and gives riders a comfortable, grippy surface to walk on and off the bike. Integrated TPU inserts and reinforcements provide protection from impact injuries and unbreakable GH plastic buckles ensure you won't be sidelined if you have a tip over. Specially designed dual-use pilots, Forma Adventure boots combine the comfort and flexibility of a road boot with the protective features of off-road boots.

Features
  • Full-grain Oiled Leather upper
  • Mid-height design
  • Personalized Forma Drytex tubular lining waterproof and breathable
  • Vintage leather finish
  • Lightweight construction
  • Specific adventure/ enduro/atv-quad double density compound rubber sole
  • Plastic gear pad protection
  • Double Adjustable Straps and Velcro® brand closure
  • Unbreakable GH plastic buckles, replaceable and adjustable
  • Ankle TPU internal moulded plastic protection
  • Injection moulded plastic protections
  • Shin and ankle TPU moulded plastic protections
  • Special nylon mid-sole with steel shank
  • PP Mid Dual Flex with anti-shock EVA midsole
  • Extra soft polymer padding with memory foam
  • Anti-bacterial replaceable footbed with A.P.S. (Air Pump System)
  • CE Certified

They remind me of Gaerne Balance tall boots I used to own for off pavement riding
balance-pro-tech-boots.jpg

and they fit wide which I need.

I'm enjoying my my return to unsupported walking but want my ankle protected and stabilized both right now and ongoing.

Walked across the parking lot of The Shed to visit friends kitty corner. The usual hang out,
Went all day without a walker and found my right ankle sucked ...
Price and weight seems okay and think I can go to GP Bikes today and try them on.

Any other mid calf suggestions that would be in stock in the GTA?

Ordered a pair from GP Bikes as Uber to try them on would be $90 each way !!!!!
I shall strive to be patient and their return policy is good. :rolleyes:
Figured I got $100 from a gear sale today so put that towards them.
Still would like to hear about similar boot options.

From my own experience a really good pair of hiking boots provide the best support for weak ankles for everyday wear. They also provide protection from rolling the ankle or other strain related injuries. Your recent posts sound like you're still (understandably) a bit unsteady on your feet so the boots would likely help.

I'm curious about those riding boots as well and have been eying them for a while.

Just a word of caution. The Gaerne Balance boots are made for trials competition. They offer very little ankle protection. They are designed to give maximum feel and feedback and to keep your feet dry.

I have the same boots as Lightcycle; the ankle protection is a bulge in the leather, and the fact that it's leather.
You might want the Forma Terra EVO if you want ankle protection, although the mid sole might be too rigid.
Edit: You won't want the Forma Terrain, as they're motocross boots and the sole will be way too rigid, making it difficult to shift.

good info on the Gaerne Balance

The Balance is aptly named. The boots strike a perfect balance between moto and urban/work boots, and protection and comfort. With a height of 13.5-inches (US size 11) and integrated shin guards, my lower legs felt less vulnerable than when riding in urban/work style boots. Yet, they are still comfortable both on and off the bike. It’s a perfect combo for multi-day ADV adventures, out for a rip on your scrambler, or long days in the saddle with multiple stops.

Being a former AMA pro MX'er, I am an incorrigible dirt guy. So....I decided to do some gravel drifting on my T120 (don't try this at home) to see how the boots felt in loose conditions and came away impressed. The gum rubber soles solidly gripped my footpegs. I could slide back on the balls of my feet and drift the bike standing up without fear of slipping off the pegs. I could also hang my leg out in tight corners flat track style and slide my foot on the gravel without feeling like I might snap a tib or fib if I dabbed my foot. All that feedback let me focus on the road ahead and not think about anything else.
more

Great boot.I would buy them again. There are 2 models."Balance" and "Oiled Balance" (+$130) which are more expensive. Neither are recommended for aggressive off road riding. They will keep you dry when new.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1696100293261.jpg
    FB_IMG_1696100293261.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FB_IMG_1696100299167.jpg
    FB_IMG_1696100299167.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

FORMA ADVENTURE LOW BOOTS

View attachment 63460
The Forma Adventure Low Boots are perfect for adventure touring riders with larger calves. Equipped with a vintage leather finish and Drytex waterproof/breathable lining, the Adventure Low Boots keep your feet dry without limiting range of motion. The double density sole offers superb grip on the bike and gives riders a comfortable, grippy surface to walk on and off the bike. Integrated TPU inserts and reinforcements provide protection from impact injuries and unbreakable GH plastic buckles ensure you won't be sidelined if you have a tip over. Specially designed dual-use pilots, Forma Adventure boots combine the comfort and flexibility of a road boot with the protective features of off-road boots.

Features
  • Full-grain Oiled Leather upper
  • Mid-height design
  • Personalized Forma Drytex tubular lining waterproof and breathable
  • Vintage leather finish
  • Lightweight construction
  • Specific adventure/ enduro/atv-quad double density compound rubber sole
  • Plastic gear pad protection
  • Double Adjustable Straps and Velcro® brand closure
  • Unbreakable GH plastic buckles, replaceable and adjustable
  • Ankle TPU internal moulded plastic protection
  • Injection moulded plastic protections
  • Shin and ankle TPU moulded plastic protections
  • Special nylon mid-sole with steel shank
  • PP Mid Dual Flex with anti-shock EVA midsole
  • Extra soft polymer padding with memory foam
  • Anti-bacterial replaceable footbed with A.P.S. (Air Pump System)
  • CE Certified

They remind me of Gaerne Balance tall boots I used to own for off pavement riding
balance-pro-tech-boots.jpg

and they fit wide which I need.

I'm enjoying my my return to unsupported walking but want my ankle protected and stabilized both right now and ongoing.

Walked across the parking lot of The Shed to visit friends kitty corner. The usual hang out,
Went all day without a walker and found my right ankle sucked ...
Price and weight seems okay and think I can go to GP Bikes today and try them on.

Any other mid calf suggestions that would be in stock in the GTA?
I like Wellington boots better than adv boots. Just as tough, better for walking, and you can wear them off motorcycle.

I’m not sure there is a whole lot of stability in adv boots, even buckled down. You get armour protection, but not the stiff no-roll ankle support of a skate or ski boot.

Amazon has a lot of ankle stabilizers that will fit into shoes and boots, not expensive.

Wellingtons, like a good Georgia Boot or Wolverine are $150ish, sometimes Bass Pro has them for $100.IMG_0419.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not sure there is a whole lot of stability in adv boots, even buckled down. You get armour protection, but not the stiff no-roll ankle support of a skate or ski boot.

Most ADV boots are like ADV helmets. Purely ornamental. They're basically street boots dressed up to look like dirt bike boots, with the buckles and the styling, but without any real protection.

If you are going serious off-road, then get MX boots.

I wear ADV boot for gravel travel and I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8s for the gnarly stuff. They have a metal tip at the toe, don't bend at the ankle and have a steel shank in the sole.

This is a good video explaining the difference between the two types:

Most ADV boots are like ADV helmets. Purely ornamental. They're basically street boots dressed up to look like dirt bike boots, with the buckles and the styling, but without any real protection.

If you are going serious off-road, then get MX boots.

I wear ADV boot for gravel travel and I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8s for the gnarly stuff. They have a metal tip at the toe, don't bend at the ankle and have a steel shank in the sole.

I suspect @MacDoc is looking for support and protection for his recovering injury.

These types of injuries heal fast, 4-6 weeks for a youngster, 6-8 for older folks and the bones and tissue are done healing. Unfortunately the pain associated with sprains and crush injuries can last for a year, sometimes longer. And as we get older, atrophy happens faster and recovers slower.

The want is extra support while rebuilding muscle, and to prevent the pain associated with bumping and stretching a newly healed injury. If it were me, I’d be looking for some comfortable boots that would protect on a motorcycle and when walking, and a compression type ankle support.

About correct ...most worried about rolling my ankle and a taller boot than the Milwaukee Troopers I wear which nudge 7 lb in my size 12.
The Formas 2.6 lb.
The ankle stabilizer is a good idea but sooo many
Amazon.ca : ankle stabilizer :eek:

The video was informative tho I'm not doing any off pavement anymore.

The Forma Adventure Low Boots are perfect for adventure touring riders with larger calves.
this should allow room for some sort of ankle stabilizer.

The lighter weight and taller format should be an improvement over the Troopers while maintaining the grippy sole.

Last edited:
I have the forma low boots, no issues with them will buy again, current one's are probably 2+ plus years old.

Used primarily for commuting and the odd day in the Ganny.

I like the part where he says "If it has the word "Adventure" in the name, it's probably not an adventure boot."

I like the part where he says "If it has the word "Adventure" in the name, it's probably not an adventure boot."
I wouldn't agree with that 100%, for one simple reason: the definition of 'adventure'. While it's fairly easy to define an adventure bike by it's capabilities, it's not that easy to define an adventure ride or rider.

For a very small number of ADV bike owners, riding motocross on their big ADVs is their definition of adventure - they ought to ride with MX boots. For another group, riding dirt highways, logging roads and hydro cuts is their adventure -- the standard Adventure boot is satisfactory. For the last group, which I'd argue may be the majority, standing up on their footpegs as they roll into a coffee shop parking lot is their adventure, so any expensive brand that has buckles and is comfortable for walking can be their boot.

I wouldn't agree with that 100%, for one simple reason: the definition of 'adventure'. While it's fairly easy to define an adventure bike by it's capabilities, it's not that easy to define an adventure ride or rider.

For a very small number of ADV bike owners, riding motocross on their big ADVs is their definition of adventure - they ought to ride with MX boots. For another group, riding dirt highways, logging roads and hydro cuts is their adventure -- the standard Adventure boot is satisfactory. For the last group, which I'd argue may be the majority, standing up on their footpegs as they roll into a coffee shop parking lot is their adventure, so any expensive brand that has buckles and is comfortable for walking can be their boot.
LOL. It always makes me chuckle when I see them standing up while riding a dirt road; saw it again yesterday. In an old dirt bike magazine I remember Dick Burleson saying something along the lines of, "I stand up when I need to. They put a seat on it for a reason." I imagine most people won't know him but he was a legendary enduro rider in the North Eastern US.

LOL. It always makes me chuckle when I see them standing up while riding a dirt road; saw it again yesterday. In an old dirt bike magazine I remember Dick Burleson saying something along the lines of, "I stand up when I need to. They put a seat on it for a reason." I imagine most people won't know him but he was a legendary enduro rider in the North Eastern US.

Was also the World Champ in his age class at the World Masters Downhill Mountain Bike Championships in 98. Got to meet one of my heroes growing up. Only a couple of other people there knew who he was.

In developing countries, we ride on a lot of dirt roads and when we see guys on big adventure bikes standing up on their pegs, it always makes me laugh, because right behind them doing the same dirt road is a family of four on a Chinese 150cc motorcycle... all sitting down on their banana seat.

And when they pass the ADV guy, they must all be wondering, "Why are they standing? They paid so much money for that big motorcycle and the seat is still so uncomfortable?!?" :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom