Michelin Road 5 tires opinions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michelin Road 5 tires opinions

I'll add, I'm hoping to get the XR to a trackday this year and it'll also have the Road 5's on it for that like many others here have done. Dry road grip isn't an issue with them and their wet grip is pretty awesome too (I don't go looking to ride in the rain but I've been caught in it).

I'll add, I'm hoping to get the XR to a trackday this year and it'll also have the Road 5's on it for that like many others here have done. Dry road grip isn't an issue with them and their wet grip is pretty awesome too (I don't go looking to ride in the rain but I've been caught in it).

Speaking of XR on the track - changed my mind about this bike after started following Cuban Rider. But he rides slicks on track I think..

Speaking of XR on the track - changed my mind about this bike after started following Cuban Rider. But he rides slicks on track I think..

Been trying to tell you guys 🤪

It’s a much better bike after being tuned. Mine is tuned the same as his, full exhaust with Stage 3 Bren tune ecu hack.

I should have mentioned that my experience and comments were based on the GT versions of the 4's and 5's. Just so you're able to make proper comparisons but I don't think there's too much difference other than load rating and possibly a stronger sidewall.

Ordered a set of 5s based on comments here. Looking forward to it…and the new owner will be still enjoying them when I part ways with the XR in the summer.

Just ordered a set of the Road 6's for the VStrom. The tread looks like they will do a bit of gravel pretty well too.
Can't wait:)

Michelin-Road-6-Tire-Crop_1641245096.jpg

There’s Dunlop and Bridgestone rebates active right now. Just saw an ad on Pete’s Superbikes page. Looks to be dealer independent and there’s different levels of rebate depending on if they are also dealer installed.

been riding on the S22's and they are pretty awesome, its a hypersport tire, but having ridden through some cold and wet, it does fairly well

been riding on the S22's and they are pretty awesome, its a hypersport tire, but having ridden through some cold and wet, it does fairly well
I got 4,000km out of a set of S22's and maybe the XR just eats tires but that's really low imo. I'd get 8,000km on Q3's on my GSXR1000.

I got 4,000km out of a set of S22's and maybe the XR just eats tires but that's really low imo. I'd get 8,000km on Q3's on my GSXR1000.
yeah mileage is not a forte of hypersports

Gonna look into Q3s

The Road 6's just came in for my V-Strom. I also have a set of Road 5's for the FZ1, so here's a side by side comparison.

The tread patterns are pretty similar. Couple things that I notice is how much further into the sidewalls or chicken strips the sipes are on the Road 6's. Seems to me like that would aid in wet weather cornering. Also seems like the there are more sipes on the Road 6's overall and they are larger and/or deeper.

Rear's:
i-Qh6tJgS.jpg

i-R22zP6h.jpg

Front's:
i-zdt3PnJ.jpg

i-mCMcw7B.jpg

The Road 6's just came in for my V-Strom. I also have a set of Road 5's for the FZ1, so here's a side by side comparison.

The tread patterns are pretty similar. Couple things that I notice is how much further into the sidewalls or chicken strips the sipes are on the Road 6's. Seems to me like that would aid in wet weather cornering. Also seems like the there are more sipes on the Road 6's overall and they are larger and/or deeper.

Rear's:
i-Qh6tJgS.jpg

i-R22zP6h.jpg

Front's:
i-zdt3PnJ.jpg

i-mCMcw7B.jpg
Shane I notice that you have the GT version of the Road 5 for the rear but the standard Road 5 for the front. Could you explain or have I got it wrong?

Shane I notice that you have the GT version of the Road 5 for the rear but the standard Road 5 for the front. Could you explain or have I got it wrong?
I couldn’t see the pictures before now but I concur. It doesn’t seem apples to apples.

I think the tread pattern is the same on the 5 and 5GT, just the carcass is stiffer on the GT as they are meant for heavier bikes.

Not the most ideal angle but these are my 5s. Looks different to me

Attachments

• AB0A8C88-FA49-4824-85D5-DF940DA769E4.jpg
    AB0A8C88-FA49-4824-85D5-DF940DA769E4.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 12
Good catch!
I think the tread pattern is the same on the 5 and 5GT, just the carcass is stiffer on the GT as they are meant for heavier bikes.
@Katatonic is right. I bought these tires specifically for what I think will end up being a 7000km trip to and from Deals Gap. The last time I did this trip, I burned through a Michelin Pilot Road 4 in about 6000km-7000km. I was riding the bike pretty hard on non-stop twisty roads, and had my top case really heavy with gear, so the quick tire wear was understandable. Normally I get around 15-20k out of a rear tire.

I thought that getting the GT this time would make sure that I got home from this trip without burning through the rear tire too early. I've never ridden with a GT before, so it's an experiment to see how it will feel having two different levels of stiffness on the carcasses from front to back. I figure after I've been riding for a few hundred km of twisty roads, I probably won't even notice the difference.

Thats crazy, I easily got 10,000km out of the S22s and im on a Tuono. Unless you're hard ripping it every time you go out that seems like highly unusual wear

Back
Top Bottom