Mice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mice

A good reminder...a few years ago, I had put my running bike away in the garage for winter. Come Spring it wouldn't start.

Discovered later that a mouse ate the wiring harness over the winter, and it cost me $$$ to get it rewired.

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I know I’ve said this before but for about five years I use to catch a mouse almost every day in the traps in my garage. I put two of those cheap little plug in ultra sonic mouse repellers about three years ago and haven’t caught one since.I us to have nightmares about one of those guys gnawing on the wiring harness of my wife’s BMW. Talk about first world problem.

picked this little follow up in owen sound, he wondered on to a farm and was hanging out with the rabbits. was only 4wks old when i got him. he is awesome

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0327 kai.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0327 kai.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 50
... I put two of those cheap little plug in ultra sonic mouse repellers about three years ago and haven’t caught one since.I us to have nightmares about one of those guys gnawing on the wiring harness of my wife’s BMW...
Those supposed ultra-sonic plug-ins are garbage and don't work. I bought 6 of them and completely saturated the kitchen with them. I wisely kept setting up the conventional mousetraps. After one week I caught 3 mice in the traps. The plug-ins did absolutely nothing. But to be fair, maybe I trapped the cousins of the 3 blind mice, known as the 3 deaf mice.

What really works is peppermint oil. Spray this diluted with water on your bike for winter storage, and especially around the exhaust and airbox. They can't stand the very pleasant smell.

Those supposed ultra-sonic plug-ins are garbage and don't work. I bought 6 of them and completely saturated the kitchen with them. I wisely kept setting up the conventional mousetraps. After one week I caught 3 mice in the traps. The plug-ins did absolutely nothing. But to be fair, maybe I trapped the cousins of the 3 blind mice, known as the 3 deaf mice.

What really works is peppermint oil. Spray this diluted with water on your bike for winter storage, and especially around the exhaust and airbox. They can't stand the very pleasant smell.
I'm with you. Other than those ultrasonic things annoying me because I can hear them (obviously I can't hear ultrasonic, most probably just buzz at some random frequency) and wasting power, I have never found them to have any purpose. It was interesting to hear that Bobo thought they did something. Maybe there are some models that actually work? Peppermint oil seems worth a shot. Won't hurt anything.

I live on the Rouge wildlife corridor, non stop supply of rodents, I get everything but rats.

every spring I had big dollar repairs due to raccoons, skunks, mice and squirrels.

The last few years I run my bikes periodically for 30 minutes inside the garage with the doors and windows closed. That seems to be working.

I live on the Rouge wildlife corridor, non stop supply of rodents, I get everything but rats.

every spring I had big dollar repairs due to raccoons, skunks, mice and squirrels.

The last few years I run my bikes periodically for 30 minutes inside the garage with the doors and windows closed. That seems to be working.
Throw a CO detector out there with a display and let us know the levels that are working for you.

Throw a CO detector out there with a display and let us know the levels that are working for you.
I'll try that on the weekend. My GL1500 needs choke for 3 minutes after starting, the detector in my garage is howling by then.

I'll try that on the weekend. My GL1500 needs choke for 3 minutes after starting, the detector in my garage is howling by then.
Probably not the worst way to go.

Probably not the worst way to go.
Agree. Trying to figure out an easy way to put the house under positive pressure to safely gas the garage if I see intruders.

Edit:

I poisoned the last intruder and he curled up in a box of mini spares and died. Took me quite a while to find the stinky sob.

Last edited:
Hate mice. I try to keep a trap set from October through March.

Have tried the ultra sonic things without much success but I'm doing to go and buy some peppermint oil and give that a shot

Hate mice. I try to keep a trap set from October through March.

Have tried the ultra sonic things without much success but I'm doing to go and buy some peppermint oil and give that a shot
they say mothballs and bonce dryer sheet keep the mice out

Agree. Trying to figure out an easy way to put the house under positive pressure to safely gas the garage if I see intruders.

Edit:

I poisoned the last intruder and he curled up in a box of mini spares and died. Took me quite a while to find the stinky sob.
Just do it when nobody is in the house.

The gas proofing between house and garage should keep the house side safe, if your indoor monitor fires, opening a few windows ventilates a house quickly.

Just do it when nobody is in the house.

The gas proofing between house and garage should keep the house side safe, if your indoor monitor fires, opening a few windows ventilates a house quickly.
I know it should be gas tight but I also knowo kitchen exhaust fans shouldnt dump into the attic. I think I am down to a single builder that I have ever worked with that I trust to do the right thing and they dont build where I live. If anyone lives near the hammer, they are in luck.

Not a bad idea to do it when people are out. Dont want to leave garage vehicles running too long unattended though. Hopefully the critters stay out and dont need exterminated.

I know it should be gas tight but I also knowo kitchen exhaust fans shouldnt dump into the attic....
Yikes! I believe kitchen exhaust is best vented down then out. If it dumps into the attic, you're gonna have some icy damage up there sooner or later.

Yikes! I believe kitchen exhaust is best vented down then out. If it dumps into the attic, you're gonna have some icy damage up there sooner or later.
With the new roof, it now goes out. Took me a lot of work to find where the mystery hose went though. Also moved bathrooms with showers through the roof deck instead of out the soffit. Afaik, soffit meets code but it is such a stupid idea.

I'm with you. Other than those ultrasonic things annoying me because I can hear them (obviously I can't hear ultrasonic, most probably just buzz at some random frequency) and wasting power, I have never found them to have any purpose. It was interesting to hear that Bobo thought they did something. Maybe there are some models that actually work? Peppermint oil seems worth a shot. Won't hurt anything.

Someone I worked with over 20 years ago said that they tried the ultra-frequency sonic noisemakers and they thought they worked. Well it took me 20 years until I finally bought 6 and put them all in the kitchen, thinking I'm finally rid of them, but the traps on the floor did the trick. Watch Shawn Woods on YouTube, he is a mouse/rat killer and does two videos a week, including testing of traps, ancient ones and new ones. There are literally hundreds of traps, the guy is like a psycho killer of mice and rats and has been in trouble with YouTube for recording the killing of mice by various methods. But he seems like a reasonably intelligent guy with an odd killer streak, that takes it to the next level. I hope it ends at mice and rats. He tested peppermint and it works just great, they can't stand the smell. Even car mechanics tell you that and spray it around cars in storage where there are high populations of mice who will eat the wires and do hundred of $ of damage.

Back
Top Bottom