Mercedes Pick-Up Truck | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mercedes Pick-Up Truck

The X-class was Nissan underneath, but it's based on the next generation beyond the Frontier that continues to be sold in North America. Apparently Nissan has an assembly plant in Spain, which also built the X-class. The markets that got the X-class also got the next-generation Frontier, which evidently prompted customers to ask what the point was of paying extra for the Mercedes badge. Seems that people are better at spotting badge-engineering than some manufacturers seem to think (see: VW Routan).

But you could say the same about Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, and VW/Audi. I mean, assuming there were actually some luxury upgrades to the interior of the X-Class.

VW/Audi doesn't really fit your comparison. They tended to use a number of the former's chassis with budget interiors/accessories + lower tech drivetrains for the latter, eg: Passat, Phaeton, CC, etc. Mk I Rabbit was virtually part for part an Audi 50.

Last edited:
Uhmmmmmmmm
Magna makes a lot of the floor pans... along with other body parts, and YES, they are shared among different manufacturers.
I remember looking at a pan Magna made that was a Passat, an Audi, a Holden and a Skoda. What I found funny was three of those cars are competing in the same market.
... and if they aren't yet, they are soon to be made in China.

I remember looking at a pan Magna made that was a Passat, an Audi, a Holden and a Skoda. What I found funny was three of those cars are competing in the same market.

Holden - Australia. Skoda - EU. Audi + VW tick mainly different boxes for reasons for purchase. When they were under the same roof it was dead easy to pick out who was shopping for what brand.. How are they competing with each other in the same market?

Holden = GM of Australia. What GM model is platform-related to any VW-group platform? It makes total sense that Passat (VW), Audi, and Skoda would share parts since they have been part of the VW group for a few decades. The Passat has flipped between being platform-related to Audi (lengthwise engine) and VW (transverse engine) several times but in either case the vehicle's design origins still lie within the VW group. But I can't think offhand of any GM model that might have been sold as a Holden which is platform-related to anything VW makes.

It isn't normal for a bodyshell part to be exactly shared between unrelated manufacturers unless it's part of a built-under-license or contract agreement of some sort or if the two vehicles share design origins (which still means there was a contract in place at some point in time). VW will own all the stamping dies used for producing parts for any VW-group vehicle, and GM will own all the stamping dies used for producing parts for any GM vehicle. Even if they're both coming out of the same third-party stamping plant - the vehicle manufacturer still owns the actual tooling, and unless there's a licensing agreement, it ain't being used for producing someone else's parts.

Back to the topic at hand - the Mercedes X-class and the next-gen (past what we've got) Nissan Frontier are shared designs which were built in the same assembly plant and differing only in decoration and, apparently, powertrains. It's pretty obvious from looking at them that the doors, windows, and cab are the same.

Back
Top Bottom