medical insurance for US trip | GTAMotorcycle.com

medical insurance for US trip

Freddy F

Site Supporter
Is this a normal thing? I wouldn't want to do a trip into the States unless I had medical insurance.
Do you have to tell the insurance company that you will be on a motorcycle?
What kind of premiums would I be faced with, and what companies provide this?
Thanks in advance.

Is this a normal thing? I wouldn't want to do a trip into the States unless I had medical insurance.
Do you have to tell the insurance company that you will be on a motorcycle?
What kind of premiums would I be faced with, and what companies provide this?
Thanks in advance.

I typically get medical insurance from Blue Cross or CAA. They don't ask whether you are on a motorcycle or not. You can also get insurance from your credit card, vehicle insurance company or your bank, but typically they're underwritten by a small set of companies that provide insurance through many different outlets.

Depending on where you get it from and how much coverage, it's about $40-$50/week per person. A bit less for a family plan.

I have work coverage, but always get CAA for the time I'm down there on the bike, last time pre-covid it may have been 50 or $60 for 9 days. Years ago we had a guy auger into the side of the Dragon, he was over $250k in medical bills before he got home, luckily he was covered. personally I always make sure the policy includes being medical airlifted.

I usually got it from the Royal and bought a seasons worth annual plan which is actually only 3 months continuous which would then be extendable as well in chunks of 3 months. Used to to cost me $500ish but that was pre covid and when I was out of the country for up to 6 months at a time. It is age dependent as well.

But might have used CAA last time which is sort of double whammy as it covers roadside as well.

They have an annual plan as well

MULTI-TRIP ANNUAL PLAN
Provides coverage for multiple individual “trips” outside Canada for up to 4 “days” each “trip”. If “your” “trip” “days” are entirely within Canada, but outside of “your” province or territory of residence, a Top-Up is not required. This “policy” provides coverage for up to 365 “trip” “days” entirely within Canada provided that “you” are covered by a “GHIP” for the full duration of the “trip”. Coverage may never extend beyond 365 days from the “departure date”. An individual “trip” begins when “you” leave “your” province or territory of residence and ends when “you” return to “your” province or territory of residence.
If “you” leave Canada several times during an individual “trip” (without returning to “your” province or territory of residence) “your” Multi-Trip Annual Plan “days” start again each time “you” leave Canada.
“You” are not required to provide advance notice of the “departure date” and “return date” of each individual “trip”. However, “you” will be required to provide evidence of “your” “departure date” and “return date” when filing a claim (e.g. airline ticket, customs or immigration stamp or other receipt).
For an individual “trip” to be covered under the benefits of the Multi-Trip Annual Plan, it must start and end within the period of coverage.
The total duration of “your” individual “trip” outside of Canada cannot exceed the maximum “trip” length of the coverage duration of 4 “days”. When “you” are outside Canada for any length of time that exceeds the 4 “day” Multi-Trip Annual Plan, a “Top-Up” will be required.

Some CC cards have short term for free but it's risky if you have to stay longer than 2 or 4 days a single day in a hospital in the US can be $14,000 US :eek:

Before retirement, my corporate plan was very robust, however now use my credit card and boosting the coverage to the amount of days needed as most Premium credit cards only provide 15 days or 3 days if you are over 65.

CIBC uses Allianz who has a global network and the coverahe is extensive including medevac flights.

I use CAA because of their mistakes clause. If there is an error in your declaration they still cover you but hit you with a max of $5,000 penalty on top of what you should have paid. It's a kick in the groin but some cheap policies deny claims if the can find any place where there has been a misinterpretation. Your lady forgets to mention her pills and they are prescription. She breaks a leg and they say she lied on her application, claim denied.

I like CAA, they insure my automobile. I have their spy module plugged into the OBDII port, drive like a bat out of hell sometimes and they still give me a 10 % discount for being a good driver. (which I am) :)

I like CAA, they insure my automobile. I have their spy module plugged into the OBDII port, drive like a bat out of hell sometimes and they still give me a 10 % discount for being a good driver. (which I am) :)
Caa was the cheapest for my occasionally used car under 200 year full coverage for 2000 kms plus 20 per extra 1000

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Caa was the cheapest for my occasionally used car under 200 year full coverage for 2000 kms plus 20 per extra 1000

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
And their roadside assistance has come in handy now a couple times. Back around 2014, my Murano died in Concord, I ended up haggling with the tow truck driver for a tow back to Sauga. He initially wanted over 500 bucks, I told him to get lost, then he suddenly became much more........negotiable....next day I joined CAA.

Just recently I was reading that some private equity firms have been buying up all the small private and independent air ambulance companies that operate in the good ole USA. They now cover huge swaths of the country. Being the only game in town, prices have sky now rocketed to the stratosphere. It is now not unusual for charges of $90,000 to pick up some unfortunate sole and deliver them to a hospital. When choosing medical coverage for trips to the USA we should also be reviewing the air ambulance limitations and coverage. Many of us who choose to ride in the USA do so for the twisty fabulous roads in the Virginia's, North Carolina, the Appalacians, etc. Remote and rural areas are likely the areas where an air ambulance is most likely to be required if something unfortunate should occur. Anyways just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom