Marriage and Insurance Rates | GTAMotorcycle.com

Marriage and Insurance Rates

They go down because your wife won't let you ride! *Ba-dum-tish!*

How did getting married affect your insurance rates? Did they go up / down or stay the same?
my wife holds an M license resulting in a slight increase to all my motorcycle insurance costs,
even though she can't ride those bikes. ymmv.

... well actually if I ride pillion on the BMW and put my feet down when we stop, she could maybe ride that one :|

Last edited:
my wife holds an M license resulting in a slight increase to all my motorcycle insurance costs,
even though she can't ride those bikes. ymmv.

... well actually if I ride pillion on the BMW and put my feet down when we stop, she could maybe ride that one :|
Wow, this is what I was not wanting to hear. All research points to insurance rates going down..and then there's the reality. Thanks for your input!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Exclude the wife from the bike policy and it stays the same.
I ask every year, all of the underwriters I have been with say it's policy so far.
lol but I'm thinking of going with that company that new Ducati rider is using, he pays less then I do.

Exclude the wife from the bike policy and it stays the same.
Can you do that? They ask you on the phone "are there any other licensed drivers in the household and if so, what kind of license do they hold?" In other words, because there is someone else in the house, liability goes up as the insurance company sees them as a threat that could take the bike out for a joy ride if they are licensed or not.

If they are excluded and they take the bike, they do so without "permission" and are not covered under insurance. Or that's what it used to be.

Can you do that? They ask you on the phone "are there any other licensed drivers in the household and if so, what kind of license do they hold?" In other words, because there is someone else in the house, liability goes up as the insurance company sees them as a threat that could take the bike out for a joy ride if they are licensed or not.

It depends on the insurance Co. , I had a waiver that my wife was not driving any of my bikes, next ins co. wouldn't accept the 'risk, then she just dropped her M since she had no interest in riding anymore. Moving target

How did getting married affect your insurance rates? Did they go up / down or stay the same?

I'm female and he doesn't have a license. I had insurance decades before we moved into the same house. Without the exclusion policy my rates would have increased as he "has access". Had nothing to do with marital standing in our case, as we bought the house before we got married. Stupid, I know.

However excluding him just kept my rates as they were.

I think that reason for lower rates, might have been pulled before the same-sex marriage laws came into effect, as it was considered discriminatory. Lots of people live together, but aren't married.

+1 to exclusion

Funny enough, I learned this because my brother had his M2 a few years after I got my M. As soon as he did, insurance tried to jack my rate from $1600 to $5000 on a GSXR750.

Had to write an exclusion letter or whatever.

I'm female and he doesn't have a license. I had insurance decades before we moved into the same house. Without the exclusion policy my rates would have increased as he "has access". Had nothing to do with marital standing in our case, as we bought the house before we got married. Stupid, I know.

However excluding him just kept my rates as they were.
A female racer with a husband with no driver's license? You don't hear that every day! :)

So moral of the story is it's best not to report living with someone if you have toys in Ontario or write an exclusion letter if you do.

"Ontario, where fun is illegal."

So moral of the story is it's best not to report living with someone if you have toys in Ontario or write an exclusion letter if you do.

"Ontario, where fun is illegal."

The constant threat is that they will deny coverage if you fail to inform. Is that a bluff or have there been cases of it happening?

Back
Top Bottom