Made a rookie mistake in the rain... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Made a rookie mistake in the rain...

mike226

Site Supporter
Well I went for a ride today and it started to rain. I was taking it real easy once it started to rain as I have not ridden in the rain before.

I came up on a decent turn, and started to lean into it, then my mind kicked in and said "don't lean too far the road is really wet". I was only doing about 70 (speed limit was 80), and as soon as I thought about the road being slippery, I looked over at the shoulder and that's where I went (and I know better, but it still happened). Hit the shoulder (maybe only doing 40 by this point) and I went down. So now I busted off the mirror on my bike, and pretty good paint loss on the left side of my bike. I am okay which obviously is the main concern, just more angry that I made that mistake. But I guess that is what learning is all about.

My question is: when the roads are wet within the first few minutes of rain, I know they are slippery, but how far would be too far to lean in a turn? Just want to know if I should have slowed down more, or just leaned into it more.

And anyone have some Kawi Green touch up paint?

When your tires loose grip you have gone to far. There are really too many factors to give you a real answer. Your tires, your skill, how you feel, how the bike is set up, whats on the roads, what type of roads, it all plays a factor. Basically slow down until you are comfortable. If you feel like you are going in to fast scrub as much speed before the corner and lean it in. Don't brake in the corner.

That's a question many riders have and the answer is very hard to quantify. The short answer is there is more grip then most new riders think. That being said it's better to ride within a safe personal margin and commit to an entry speed YOU are comfortable with then try to adjust mid turn. If I'm unsure of the level of grip a new bike or new brand/model of tire provides I'll use the rear brake at a very slow speed. This only works if you have feeling of locking up the rear in the dry as well.

Grant

Sent from my Desire HD

Baby it in gradually increasing lean (for what you require) not just for the sake of it. You now know what it feels like to go down with lean angle in the rain (i.e. you know how your body position, throttle position, bike position, all felt before going down). You may have also felt the bike first give out. Remember these sensations and that's a limit for you. In the future you may know when you're close and feel the signs of a bike about to give; a little wiggle in the rear maybe, a little abruptness for s split second from the front, etc etc. In the future you will be better able to recognize these early subtle signs and correct them before it gives.

Best to let it rain for a bit if you can. When the rain first starts the crap on the road mixes with it.

Best to let it rain for a bit if you can. When the rain first starts the crap on the road mixes with it.

Agreed... the first 10-15 minutes is typically the worst, as this is when the oils, gas and other crap begins to wick out of the roads. The rain/crap mix will normally run off to the sides of the road, or into one of the many pot holes after 10-15 mins.

Good to hear you didn't get hurt. As some of the others said, take this as a learning experience (albeit a tough one) and use it going forward.

I was really luck to have my MSC rain all weekend. It was really cold and crappy out, but it gave me the confidence to ride in the rain. All I can say is take it easy and ride as if you are riding the bike for the first time. You need to get the feel for the bike as if its new to you again. Thats how I go about it at least.

That sucks man, hope your ok and the bike is not too bad. I got my bike on the road this weekend and rode for a few hours the past 3 days mostly in the drizzle, because I could not help it I just wanted to ride, no rain gear just my jacket n gloves. I will ride in the rain, but I take it super easy, first of all because I am new to street riding, mostly only ridden in rain so far, my bike is a gsxr 600, and my tires only have about 3-400 km on them and I am no expert on my bike yet..lol although I am getting used to it and love it.

In any case, try to avoid using the breaks in a turn,leaned over. Esp. on wet pavement. There will probably always be more grip available than you think, but one cannot say how far the point of no return would be...

Thanks everyone...Appreciate all the input. I think the biggest thing for me is keeping my eyes where I want to go. I have had the problem in the past, and slowly getting over it, but I think the wet roads played with my head more then it should have.

Now its getting my mirror fixed, then a bit of cosmetic detail on the body so it doesn't look as bad...but already looking forward to getting back on it.

Glad you're okay.

Most riders assume there is less grip available than there really is. In every condition.....dry or wet. They key to being able to take advantage of the available grip is SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH operation of the bike.Most of today's sportbike and sport touring tires are really great in the rain.

It;s obvious you already know where your mistake was...That's good. being able to take emotion out of the equation and look at the crash objectively will help you prepare for the next time and not repeat the mistake again.

No worries man, as long as you learn from your mistake! I'm a new rider (just did the MSF this weekend) and I wiped out while going 45 k because I made a stupid mistake but I'm glad I did cause I learned from it, and now I'm more confident.
Keep up the riding!

As others have said, sounds like you more or less know what went wrong.. glad to hear you're ok, good luck getting the bike fixed up, let me know if you need a hand.

with good tires you should be able to do the speed limit in the rain.
that being said even the best tires can let go with other factors

Like you already know I'm sure, you had better chances of making the turn by leaning the bike further (and risking a low-side) rather than running into the ditch :).

Don't worry about it! A bike is only an assembly of parts which can be fixed or replaced! I'm assuming you ran into the oncoming lane before reaching the ditch, just thank whoever it is you pray to that your eyes locked onto the ditch and not an oncoming car.

You have to remind yourself when riding to look through the turn even though there might be something worth seeing on the outside of the turn. You have pointed all these points out yourself so you will no doubt learn from them and be a smarter/safer rider. Take care out there!

... it's better to ride within a safe personal margin and commit to an entry speed YOU are comfortable with then try to adjust mid turn...

+1
You would have been fine had you committed to the improper entry speed by maintaining a neutral throttle (not closed, not adding throttle), eyes looking at the exit, slight bend in the elbows, knees into the tank, balls of the feet on the pegs, not covering control levers with feet or hands.

Okay, so you committed, and the corner still seems too fastr, here's a common mistake...

1) The roll off - transfers weight and removes the "gyroscope" effect unsettling the bike. Centrifugul force that was keeping your lean angle steady is gone and the bike wants to fall in.

2) The rider looks the wrong way and now adds steering unput unconsciously.

3) Now he gets on the front and or rear brake, again unsettling the bike, and throws it into a straight line towards the sight line, and out of the corner.

Here's how you fix that before stage 3:

Ease back on the throttle to the neutral position, get your head looking at the corner exit, or if in a blind corner, petend the apex is past the point you cans ee and look thru the apex.

Add a bit more counter-steering as necessary.

The best thing you can do is read more from books like sport riding techniques, a twist of the wrist, and Proficient Motorcycling. Twist of the wrist 2 has a great video that describes SR's or survival reactions that you need to avoid using.

NEVER NEVER apply your brakes mid corner until you're doing a track day and practicing trail braking.

Practice practice practice

Back
Top Bottom