Mac | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mac

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Rant.
Girlfriend has a MacBook. Attended a couple of free (cough) tutoring sessions at the Apple store. They taught her some very basic stuff but said..... Here, buy some more stuff.
If Apple is so much better, why do so
many people have trouble with it?
Not trying to offend anyone, so don't good there.

Apple is a marketing company. They have done an amazing job of making their brand a fashion item.

I hate the stuff, but I build my own PCs and like to be able to customize things.
My father on the other hand does not like to tinker and has always been an apple guy going way back to the original monochrome Macintosh in the 80's. He will not use anything else
My wife has always lived in their ecosystem as she is graphic design background. So I buy her Apple stuff (phones, macbooks)

MacBooks are overpriced and they do have their faults (I'm looking at you cheap and faulty charging chip) but once she learns it, she should be fine.

In short, they are not better, just different if you are used to PC.

I have moved to recommending tablets to most people as they seem to be much easier to deal with and much better suited to day to day use.
Did you look into the IPad?

Windows users had to teach themselves the system as well…we just had more access to them in our lives vs Macs (typically).

I prefer windows, but I can appreciate the design of apple products. I’ve been building my own PCs since I was 12 (shout-out to Pentium 133s). This spring I treated myself to an Alienware setup, but it was on sale and only $500 more than building it myself. I don’t expect to upgrade much for a long long time.

I went back to an iPhone after almost 9 years of android. I enjoy the MacOS more.

I won’t buy a Mac laptop as they don’t have touch screens that I use for work. I have an iPad Pro which is nice but it’s a tablet on steroids rather than a laptop replacement. If they made a Macbook Air with a touch screen I’d get one to try out. As it is, my Lenovo yoga X1 is pretty much perfect.

Snort...."so many people"......."not better just different"....wrong on both counts. I won't bother cuz neither of you seems to understand why Apple is the most valuable company in the world because people choose to buy their products.

There is no equivalent in the Intel world to an M1 Macbook and the OS and hardware is tightly integrated ....Apple is hardly angelic...in general their hardware works very well.

What's the issue, or just ranting. If she or you needs help on how to do stuff, just YouTube some tutorials.
Yeah don't get sucked into Apple Marketing and expect the "Genius bar" to offer really user assistance. The only good thing is to try and get a rise out of Apple store employees when they break script. They are basically drones trained to be "fake" friendly and act like they are doing you a favour.

I'm a long time Apple user since the 80's, but also use PC's.

Snort...."so many people"......."not better just different"....wrong on both counts. I won't bother cuz neither of you seems to understand why Apple is the most valuable company in the world because people choose to buy their products.
Do you know why they are so valuable?

What's the issue, or just ranting. If she or you needs help on how to do stuff, just YouTube some tutorials.
Yeah don't get sucked into Apple Marketing and expect the "Genius bar" to offer really user assistance. The only good thing is to try and get a rise out of Apple store employees when they break script. They are basically drones trained to be "fake" friendly and act like they are doing you a favour.

I'm a long time Apple user since the 80's, but also use PC's.
Thanks for the reply. Much better than, "I'm right and everyone else is wrong".
Had a feeling this was a rabbit hole not worth going down.

"so many people"......."not better just different"....wrong on both counts
Sorry sport.
A modern Mac is a PC and IOs is Linux... so not even different.
You can run IOs on a windows box and windows on a Mac, he only trick is to load the OS, which GRUB does without issue. The difference between a modern Mac and a modern PC is the BIOS and a heap of marketing

Nobody on Linux?
(I use Linux Mint)
I gave up on Windows right around Win2000... but I was mostly server side.Cost of ownership was always about the same... but trying to sort out registry issues through a terminal gets old REAL fast. User profiles/rights on Linux is SO MUCH easier

... there's DOZENS of us... DOZENS

What specific issues is she having @Wingboy ?

She will most likely need a dongle for additional I/O. Please buy Apple brand or Certified (MFI) product. Apple does not play well with others.

This sums up my problem with apple. I am using updated chrome on windows 10. Exclusion for the sake of exclusion.

Stupid.jpg

What specific issues is she having @Wingboy ?

She will most likely need a dongle for additional I/O. Please buy Apple brand or Certified (MFI) product. Apple does not play well with others.

This sums up my problem with apple. I am using updated chrome on windows 10. Exclusion for the sake of exclusion.

View attachment 62286
System says her icloud is full and won't let her send anything without buying more icloud room.

System says her icloud is full and won't let her send anything without buying more icloud room.
That sounds like a fun filled afternoon of downloading and deleting.....
I am running close to the same problem with my google account.

Something most do not know. Yahoo, gives you 1 TB of storage free.

There is no equivalent in the Intel world to an M1 Macbook and the OS and hardware is tightly integrated ....Apple is hardly angelic...in general their hardware works very well.
Touch screens are invaluable for teaching and presenting, zoom meetings and signing/marking up documents. I use them all the time. I have nothing against macs, I had one of the original colour classics way back when. I wouldn’t have any other tablet than an Ipad though.

Back
Top Bottom