M1 insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 insurance

Canuckles

Hi everyone I’m new to bikes, I’m looking to get my M1 next month and a 2022 Honda CRF300 Rally in the summer. I’m struggling to find a place that will insure an M1 driver was wondering if anyone had suggestions I’ve only managed to get a quote from All state for $503 a month would like to do better but if not I can live with that

Hi everyone I’m new to bikes, I’m looking to get my M1 next month and a 2022 Honda CRF300 Rally in the summer. I’m struggling to find a place that will insure an M1 driver was wondering if anyone had suggestions I’ve only managed to get a quote from All state for $503 a month would like to do better but if not I can live with that
You will continue to struggle if you're only looking to insure vehicles under M1 Licensing. Best bet is to call everyone you can find.

You will continue to struggle if you're only looking to insure vehicles under M1 Licensing. Best bet is to call everyone you can find.
Of course I’m planning on getting full M it’s just trying to find a bike to start on

I thought it takes 8 months after the M1 to get your M2 sorry I’m a little new to all of this
You have 90 days from the day you acquire your M1 to pass the M1 Exit exam which would upgrade your license to M2.
You have to wait 60 days from the day you acquire your M1 before the ministry will upgrade your license to M2, regardless of when you pass the M1 Exit exam.

Insurance companies will be much more inclined to insure someone who can prove they've either signed up for an M1 Exit Course or already passed one.

Unfortunately the entire situation is a bit of a 'gotcha' from the insurance companies. They don't want to insure people on M1s but then how can one practice for the exam? The answer is you pretty much get funneled into taking a safety course.

You have 90 days from the day you acquire your M1 to pass the M1 Exit exam which would upgrade your license to M2.
You have to wait 60 days from the day you acquire your M1 before the ministry will upgrade your license to M2, regardless of when you pass the M1 Exit exam.

Insurance companies will be much more inclined to insure someone who can prove they've either signed up for an M1 Exit Course or already passed one.
Thank you I should’ve done more research I just work a lot and don’t have very much free time I’ll get all of this set up on my day off tmr

Book yourself into a school absolutely ASAP. The spaces are filling up quickly already. The school that I (and EvoEx) teach for is booking into Mid-May already - depending on your location. You will need to have your M1 before you take the class.

As others have mentioned, you won’t be able to upgrade to your M2 until a full 60 days have passed from the day you wrote the test. This means, DO NOT go to the MTO on day 60. They will turn you away and tell you to come back tomorrow. They want 60 full days to have passed.

As others said, just do the riding course. Its a bit pricey but you learn a bunch, almost guaranteed to pass and you will get insured much easier. I tried to do the M1 exit in Oshawa on my dad's R1 years ago and failed. I said eff it and went the course route for the M1 exit and then did the M2 exit course with my own bike years later. Its the best worry free way of getting your licence imo

As others said, just do the riding course. Its a bit pricey but you learn a bunch, almost guaranteed to pass and you will get insured much easier. I tried to do the M1 exit in Oshawa on my dad's R1 years ago and failed. I said eff it and went the course route for the M1 exit and then did the M2 exit course with my own bike years later. Its the best worry free way of getting your licence imo
Not to forget that you get a discount if you have done the safety course via an institute. Pays for itself. Added benefit is that you get to try out a bunch of bikes before deciding which one to buy. It's expensive but I think it's a good idea to do a safety course (M1X) especially since you're new to riding. All the best!

Not to forget that you get a discount if you have done the safety course via an institute. Pays for itself. Added benefit is that you get to try out a bunch of bikes before deciding which one to buy. It's expensive but I think it's a good idea to do a safety course (M1X) especially since you're new to riding. All the best!
Thanks for the tips from everyone I’m 100% gonna be doing riding courses I do take my safety surprisingly serious for someone with my level of self deprecation

Thanks for the tips from everyone I’m 100% gonna be doing riding courses I do take my safety surprisingly serious for someone with my level of self deprecation
You're doing good, you're doing the right things - asking questions and making yourself aware. Tons of info in here and some good folks and some crazy ones ;) Good luck!

No idea where EvoEx and BigEvil teach at - but I did my M1 through Learning Curves, and can't speak highly enough about them... the instructors love to ride, and love to teach... They had 3 or 4 different styles of bikes to practice and test on; and when I was having trouble with one (long story short, got issues with my wrists) one of the instructors switched me from one style of bike to another, and I did much better.

I can't add anything to the already excellent advise up-thread, other than to agree - through an accredited course/institute is 100% the easiest way to go.

No idea where EvoEx and BigEvil teach at - but I did my M1 through Learning Curves, and can't speak highly enough about them... the instructors love to ride, and love to teach... They had 3 or 4 different styles of bikes to practice and test on; and when I was having trouble with one (long story short, got issues with my wrists) one of the instructors switched me from one style of bike to another, and I did much better.

I can't add anything to the already excellent advise up-thread, other than to agree - through an accredited course/institute is 100% the easiest way to go.
Thanks I’ll check them out honestly really happy I found a place I could geek out about this **** on cuz I’m super excited to get my first bike

Unfortunately the entire situation is a bit of a 'gotcha' from the insurance companies. They don't want to insure people on M1s but then how can one practice for the exam? The answer is you pretty much get funneled into taking a safety course.

It took me over a year to understand this is the way to go from M1 to M2 licence. That plus I was being cheap and didn't want to spend $500 if I "already knew" how to ride a bike.

I learnt some new things and good habits in the course; and that my fatty being is too much for a poor z125, if I don't remember wrong the handlebars were hitting my knees when doing the slow maneuvers exercises.

Back
Top Bottom