M1 insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 insurance

Mike J

Hi all,
I’m fairly certain that this is a highly touched on topic but I can’t seem to find a solid answer. So I am 16 looking to go get my M1 I have my g1 and will be getting my g2 in another month... I would be the first rider of my family so as I understand it i would basically need to borrow a bike until I can get my m2? Being that this is not very likely as no one has a spare bike I need my own, now I have run into the issue of insurance. Who covers an M1 for a decent price? If any? I cannot afford the 620 a month price tag I seen some offer.
Thank you in advance

You’re unlikely to find anyone willing to insure you as an m1 rider at this age.

Book the weekend course through learning curves, RTI, etc to upgrade to m2. They provide a motorcycle, help you learn the basics and you take the exam at the end of the day on Sunday. Should run you around $400.

At this time you’re probably looking at booking in July or August

I remembered back when I started, I had no issue getting insurance on m1. And I paid 900/year for cbr250.
Now it's like forcing new rider to go through motorcycle course or borrow a friends bike

That was another thing with the lockdown I am out of options since I can go get my M1 but when I go to do my m2 I would still need a bike to do that on, it seems like a loss here

That was another thing with the lockdown I am out of options since I can go get my M1 but when I go to do my m2 I would still need a bike to do that on, it seems like a loss here
A course will provide the bike for your M2.

Oh I gotcha, I will look into the courses, I have been racing motocross for around 5 years very familiar with bikes so it shouldn’t be too bad
Not sure how the others do it but I teach at learning curves. We treat everyone as if they’ve never sat on one before. So the experienced peeps are usually a little bored for the first few hrs.

Not sure how the others do it but I teach at learning curves. We treat everyone as if they’ve never sat on one before. So the experienced peeps are usually a little bored for the first few hrs.
And if you practice wheelies and stoppies in the clutch control drill between parking spots you get the grumpy face. :D

Lol they probably wouldn’t like that too much, my buddy knows someone who runs a course and he’s going to get us in. So that is one part done and whenever they are operating again

Hi all,
I’m fairly certain that this is a highly touched on topic but I can’t seem to find a solid answer. So I am 16 looking to go get my M1 I have my g1 and will be getting my g2 in another month... I would be the first rider of my family so as I understand it i would basically need to borrow a bike until I can get my m2? Being that this is not very likely as no one has a spare bike I need my own, now I have run into the issue of insurance. Who covers an M1 for a decent price? If any? I cannot afford the 620 a month price tag I seen some offer.
Thank you in advance
Take the m1 exit course offered in most cities. It will lower your insurance premium by half.

Hi all,
Thank you in advance
I was actually on the same boat as you a year ago. I recently made a post in "Introduce Yourself" section lightly covering insurance. Long story short, I bought a bike beginning of 2020 season with my M2 course a month after. With the pandemic, the course was delayed until Sept. During the warm months I attempted to get coverage as an M1 rider since I didn't wanna waste an entire season.

I called every Insurance company and Brokerage I could and couldn't find coverage at all. Most insurance companies will still require you to take the Beginner/Intro Riding Course. At that point you might as well take the M2 course. If they did provide coverage, the cheapest quote was 500+ month for liability. Nowadays, M1 coverage is impossible and for dear sake don't buy an SS as a first bike. Speaking from experience :)

As a car guy that's been tracking for 3 seasons, I thought I had an advantage when learning to ride. The second I got on a motorcycle during the M2 course, I quickly became humbled. I was horrible and found it very difficult at first. It's worth waiting for the course before evening thinking about getting on 2 wheels. Just my 2 cents.

It is different that’s for sure, I think I’ll wait to do the m2 course and see where I end up after that I would need a second job just to pay for insurance as it is right now. I might be very late to riding if I get to it this year but at least my wallet won’t be as empty

It is different that’s for sure, I think I’ll wait to do the m2 course and see where I end up after that I would need a second job just to pay for insurance as it is right now. I might be very late to riding if I get to it this year but at least my wallet won’t be as empty
Smartest 16 year old on GTAM ever.

Just pay the insurance full money upfront and you save. That’s what I am planning on doing. Now with this new bull **** curfew I don’t even know if my m2 will happen anymore.

Just pay the insurance full money upfront and you save. That’s what I am planning on doing. Now with this new bull **** curfew I don’t even know if my m2 will happen anymore.
there's no curfew, fyi.

Back
Top Bottom