M testing | GTAMotorcycle.com

M testing

blu600

Site Supporter
Hey guys just wanted some opinions on if taking the m2 exit course after already taking the m2 course is really worth it as opposed to just going for test at the ministry? First course absolutely would not have rode without it but can you justify the second?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

What's important to you?

Getting the licence for the least effort/money? Go to the ministry.

Have a qualified instructor kill off your bad habits and help you stay safer on the street? Course.

Did my M with Learning Curves, $400 and i don't regret it for a second. Goldie (Whose on these forums) has a vested interest in making you a better rider, i don't see what can be more important then that.

Each to their own.

Last edited:
What's important to you?

Getting the licence for the least effort/money? Go to the ministry.

Have a qualified instructor kill off your bad habits and help you stay safer on the street? Course.

Did my M with Learning Curves, $400 and i don't regret it for a second. Goldie (Whose on this forums) has a vested interest in making you a better rider, i don't see what can be more important then that.

Each to their own.

Like i said i know the course benefits but just wondered if it was the same for exit course or just testing. Thanks for the opinion!!

Not only do I think the course is important, but I think it will save you money on insurance. Check with your own insurance company and see if there is any difference in your rate if you take the course.

Not only do I think the course is important, but I think it will save you money on insurance. Check with your own insurance company and see if there is any difference in your rate if you take the course.

M2 saves 10% but nothing for m2 exit as you then are a full M and will have a discount. So my ins says lol. Its never about ins. Thanks bud. Will look into the course. Ive ridden 8 years already from letting my first m2 expire because of work.

If you’ve been riding a while (well..ie proper tire track etc) you can do the ministry test without the course. If you know you have picked up bad habits (be honest) then do the course to get the finer details sorted out as mentioned above.

Take a look at the M2X scoresheet thats floating around on most forums. There are a lot of things that they look for. That most likely you don't do on a daily riding basis especially the head bobbing, and checking mirrors every 10s etc. The course will teach you all those things I suppose.

Personally, I found one of the course instructors on Kijiji and took a private lesson for less than 1/4th the cost of the course, and took the test at the MTO.

Keep your head on a swivel. Keep to proper tire track. Do the proper thing for the emergency stop. Look behind you before setting off. Look left and right at every intersection. Shoulder check everywhere often. That’s basically it.

wasn't there a thread recently showing all the M test centres and dates already fully booked? I'm due for the M exit too, I'll be going with learning curves, they give a discount if you did the M1 exit with them too

wasn't there a thread recently showing all the M test centres and dates already fully booked? I'm due for the M exit too, I'll be going with learning curves, they give a discount if you did the M1 exit with them too
The courses aren't booked. I know for a fact that pretty much all dates July onwards are available for RTI. My coworker called a week back and asked
I think MTO is booked.

Sorry I meant the MTO, not the courses like learning curves/RTI etc
Ah ok. Yeah I think it was the MTO that was all booked up all around the GTA. If you guys have M2, you could key in your license info and check dates on the MTO website. It doesn't show me the calendar now that I already have my M.

I've yet to meet anyone who took the course, who hasn't said it was worth it, or anybody who didn't who hasn't said they saved a bundle.

If you know your **** and are able to put aside any bad habits you may have developed over the years (including things like not doing left and right over the shoulder checks every stop etc) for ~1/2-hour, then you probably won't "need" the course.

I took Conestoga college's course for my M2X. They started with a basic repeat of the M1X "final test." There was a good amount of parking lot riding with observers watching everyone and giving pointers. There was a street portion where a small group would go out and be followed by an instructor talking to each rider over the radio, again giving pointers, tips and reminders etc.

All of that lead-up helped shed some laziness from my riding, made me aware of "bad habits" and reminded me of the "obviousness" of the head movements they want to see. The final test went off almost perfectly in large part because of the practice and input from the instructors.

To me it was money well spent.

...All of that lead-up helped shed some laziness from my riding, made me aware of "bad habits" and reminded me of the "obviousness" of the head movements they want to see..

Not sure how long ago you took the test, but curious ... everything they taught you, did it last or are you back to resorting to bad habits ? Nobody that I know does mirror checks every 10s or swivels their head at every intersection/driveway/road sign etc ... As someone aptly said to me once, it's an act or a show that you have to put on to pass the test.

Not sure how long ago you took the test, but curious ... everything they taught you, did it last or are you back to resorting to bad habits ? Nobody that I know does mirror checks every 10s or swivels their head at every intersection/driveway/road sign etc ... As someone aptly said to me once, it's an act or a show that you have to put on to pass the test.

Actually, I check my mirrors surprisingly often and watch them when stopped. I don't do the head twists but do move my eyes around a lot. (The exaggerated head-twists are really for the benefit of the instructor/test administrator since he can't see your eyes scanning things...) If I was observed today by an examiner they might not like me riding with one hand on the bar, or putting the bike in neutral at stoplights. I probably ride a little quicker than they'd like, accelerate a little harder than necessary when merging into highway traffic etc.

If I have to make a road-side stop I pretty much do it by the book.

So in many ways I remember and retained many of the good habits and adopted some not-so-great ones along the way.

After a few close calls that were ignorant car drivers that could have ended up real bad, i have gone back to looking constantly and knowing my exit routes if things go south. As I said the durham course for m2 saved me quite a few times with they’re knowledge. Thanks again!!! Going to do the m2x course

Another vote for taking the m2x course. You do not need it for the test, I suspect most people would be able to pass the mto test with a little coaching on what they are looking for.

The much more valuable part of the course is the instruction on how to be a better/safer rider. The second benefit is that instruction occurs on your bike. So many people take the m1x on tiny school bikes and then wobble and waddle around on the behemoth they own and never spend the parking lot time to improve.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom