M test in the rain? | GTAMotorcycle.com

M test in the rain?

Vontwowheels

I’ve got my M booked for Thursday, with rain in the forecast.
Is rain a benefit or detriment?
I’ve got the over coats/pants for rain and I’m not worried about riding in the rain but depending on the level of rain what if they miss a shoulder check and mark me for it? I plan to put contrast tape on my helmet to help out but I don’t want marks for things they may miss with wipers going or a lot of rain.
Or will they be a bit more lenient with the rain? Assuming all things the same does the rain matter?

🤷‍*with drive test orillia*

Last edited:
I’ve got my M booked for Thursday, with rain in the forecast.
Is rain a benefit or detriment?
I’ve got the over coats/pants for rain and I’m not worried about riding in the rain but depending on the level of rain what if they miss a shoulder check and mark me for it? I plan to put contrast tape on my helmet to help out but I don’t want marks for things they may miss with wipers going or a lot of rain.
Or will they be a bit more lenient with the rain? Assuming all things the same does the rain matter?

🤷‍♂️ just asking
Did you book with DriveTest or a school?

Drive test
Well, seeing as you chose to book with a bunch of monkeys who don't even know how to operate a motorcycle to test you on it...anything is possible. I wouldn't count on any leniency, they likely don't have a clue because they don't ride.

I wouldn’t over think it. The test isn’t anything too tough so just ride properly and you should be fine. As Evo said most of them don’t even ride so just obey road rules and you should be good to go:

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyways, the test is rain or shine. The person marking the test sits in the passenger seat of the vehicle with their eyes glued on you, unless they're marking the sheet. The test has intervals where they may not actually do anything, but you don't know when that is. Therefore, rain is irrelevant, except as a hazard to you, and your vision/visibility.
I saw one test where there was a single rain cloud in the sky. The person taking the test was dry all the way, right up until a small part of the highway, and then they just got dumped on, then it stopped. We turned around in the dry, and right back under the same cloud on our way back. They passed.

Sidenote: I just saw the drivetest here allow a bike with a tail tidy and really teeny tiny turn signals and a flashing brake light take the test.
Never saw him come back though. Didn't think it would happen. Maybe some of the drivetest people ride?

Drive test
I did my M2X with Drivetest Brampton in a deluge of rain and easily passed. The biggest thing is if you are comfortable with riding in the rain. If you are not, then you will be plenty distracted. I had several experiences of being caught out in the rain by that point and had a general idea of what things to do to make myself comfortable when buckets were pouring (visor up squinting through the pin pricks, just accepting that I'll be soaking wet, no sudden moves, ignore the burning smells).

Them seeing you/not seeing you do things like head checks just mean you aren't exaggerating the check enough. You don't ride on the test like you do normally but even the fastest head check is clearly visible between sweeps of the wiper. Plus, they've marked so many riders that they are used to seeing/not seeing things.

Rain held out, and knowing a bit of what they’re looking for thanks to above with the check sheets for specifics!
Passed, easy 20minute ride, although I was more nervous then I should have been and found myself death gripping the handle bars a few times focusing on checking and checking and checking and excess head movement so they see it.

The examiner in Orillia was great though, super nice and on top of directions and repeating if she said it the first time a few KM away from a turn.

Rain held out, and knowing a bit of what they’re looking for thanks to above with the check sheets for specifics!
Passed, easy 20minute ride, although I was more nervous then I should have been and found myself death gripping the handle bars a few times focusing on checking and checking and checking and excess head movement so they see it.

The examiner in Orillia was great though, super nice and on top of directions and repeating if she said it the first time a few KM away from a turn.
Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom