Loud and proud? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud and proud?

Does anyone remember a 'movement' in the 90's among bikers that actually promoted stock/quiet exhausts? I'm trying to remember the name, it was something like the Stealth Society... I remember it's motto was "Sworn to Silence." I think the logo looked something like that dreadful Bad Boy Club thing.

When I was changing the exhaust on the mini, I left both mufflers in. Pressure drop wasn't an issue and I didn't want it to be too obnoxious. The front is 2.5" straight through and the second is 2x2.5" straight through. Definitely sounds bigger than 1293cc but not remotely obnoxious.
Mini? I remember learning how to operate a backhoe from the guy I sold my last mini to

The guy had me dig holes, plant 3 minis and a 240z then backfill. It was in Riverdrive Park for a few weeks until the town made him take the art down.

I add exhaust bits if it serves a purpose but I won't add it to purposely go loud....

You can get away with this from FACTORY

I have a GLI with a bunch of mods and the downpipe was the next big item. But I left the stock resonator alone to avoid the car sounding like this :|

No point trying to make the SV650 go any faster so I am leaving the exhaust alone .......

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which, just saw (and heard) a Camaro ZL1 1LE the other day. Holy.
one is parked in my underground, i've heard the cold start maybe a half dozen times. always brings a smile to my face, lucky bastard.

Too much noise and it ruins it for everyone... It's the anti social level exhausts and at the wrong times so it really draws attention.
But the way these things go it'll just screw over everyone even those who are not obnoxious but just want a little extra sound instead of a sewing machine noise lol and man some of the karens here seem to love those sewing machines judging by the comments so it's no problem for em :LOL:

Loud pipes risk rights. Plain and simple.

How small is your unit that you need to overcompensate with such loud pipes. I can't take the loud noise guys seriously anymore. As soon as I hear them I think "big noise little dick".

Does anyone remember a 'movement' in the 90's among bikers that actually promotedstock/quiet exhausts?

I don't but I do recall standing beside a running Wing and could not hear a thing. Was VERY impressed.

The electrics will mostly resolved it ....hard core will put playing cards in the spokes :rolleyes:

As soon as I hear them I think "big noise little dick".

I'm pretty sure they got what they wanted out of you. They probably go out of their way to see if you were looking.. :LOL:

I love the south park Harley joke for this though.

The sewing machine bikes need help in the City. The drivers are inconsiderate and very aggressive. If the bikers aren't noticed they will get treated as if invisible. I've been riding just in the Core for many years. Not everyone likes to speed like a maniac past aggressive drivers. Those idiot drivers tend to follow bikers aggressively trying to keep up with them as well.

I just sold my '16 Tuono, but with its stock pipe it made a decent amount of noise on its own so I didn't feel the need to change it at all. I have however previously owned several SS bikes, which changing the pipe did significantly increase my road presence. Not obnoxious levels of noise, still at legal levels, but certainly not stock. If you ride in the city a lot you will notice the difference with and without, especially if your bike is very quiet with the stock pipe.

If you live in the city and have to deal with drivers of the city. I would recommend getting an aftermarket pipe so you are noticed in traffic more easily. Since we are more vulnerable than people inside of their cars, and distracted driving is a real issue, I use this as one of my tools to keep drivers aware of my position on the road.

Here is why a louder exhaust can aid in keeping your position known to close by drivers:

Just like the omni-directional microphone, there’s a pressure sensitive membrane in the ear towards all directions. That’s why your ears don’t have what’s called the proximity effect, just as an omni-directional microphone doesn’t as well - as opposed to any other type of microphone.

The reason we can hear direction is because of two things: The fact that we have two ears separated by a certain distance, and the shape of our head/ear concha.

Sound travels at a finite speed, about 340 meters per second. The average width of a persons head is somewhere between 15–18cm. It is also a “shadow”, the human head will absorb some frequencies depending on the size.

Taking the above into account, imagine a sound coming from the right. It hits your right ear. It then has to travel around the obstacle that is your head. This will reduce some frequencies, as some higher frequencies (again, depending on the size of the head) will be reflected. By the time the sound has reached your left ear, it’s a just a little bit later, and a little less dense in the frequency spectrum.

This allows your brain to come up with the conclusion that the sound must have come from your right hand side.

Each direction has its own delay and form of shadow, just like a persons head looks different from each angle. This allows the brain to calculate the direction of sound.

Oh my :LOL: how are we ever going to survive riding electrics. We'll all be killed for sure.

Oh my :LOL: how are we ever going to survive riding electrics. We'll all be killed for sure.
I'm looking forward to incorporating a stinger. If any vehicle gets close enough to touch the stinger, you have enough capacity to unleash an ungodly pulse through their vehicle and with any luck fry all of their computers.

I'm looking forward to incorporating a stinger. If any vehicle gets close enough to touch the stinger, you have enough capacity to unleash an ungodly pulse through their vehicle and with any luck fry all of their computers.
RCuhRfW.png

I'm pretty sure they got what they wanted out of you. They probably go out of their way to see if you were looking.. :LOL:

I love the south park Harley joke for this though.

The sewing machine bikes need help in the City. The drivers are inconsiderate and very aggressive. If the bikers aren't noticed they will get treated as if invisible. I've been riding just in the Core for many years. Not everyone likes to speed like a maniac past aggressive drivers. Those idiot drivers tend to follow bikers aggressively trying to keep up with them as well.

I just sold my '16 Tuono, but with its stock pipe it made a decent amount of noise on its own so I didn't feel the need to change it at all. I have however previously owned several SS bikes, which changing the pipe did significantly increase my road presence. Not obnoxious levels of noise, still at legal levels, but certainly not stock. If you ride in the city a lot you will notice the difference with and without, especially if your bike is very quiet with the stock pipe.

If you live in the city and have to deal with drivers of the city. I would recommend getting an aftermarket pipe so you are noticed in traffic more easily. Since we are more vulnerable than people inside of their cars, and distracted driving is a real issue, I use this as one of my tools to keep drivers aware of my position on the road.

Here is why a louder exhaust can aid in keeping your position known to close by drivers:

Just like the omni-directional microphone, there’s a pressure sensitive membrane in the ear towards all directions. That’s why your ears don’t have what’s called the proximity effect, just as an omni-directional microphone doesn’t as well - as opposed to any other type of microphone.

The reason we can hear direction is because of two things: The fact that we have two ears separated by a certain distance, and the shape of our head/ear concha.

Sound travels at a finite speed, about 340 meters per second. The average width of a persons head is somewhere between 15–18cm. It is also a “shadow”, the human head will absorb some frequencies depending on the size.

Taking the above into account, imagine a sound coming from the right. It hits your right ear. It then has to travel around the obstacle that is your head. This will reduce some frequencies, as some higher frequencies (again, depending on the size of the head) will be reflected. By the time the sound has reached your left ear, it’s a just a little bit later, and a little less dense in the frequency spectrum.

This allows your brain to come up with the conclusion that the sound must have come from your right hand side.

Each direction has its own delay and form of shadow, just like a persons head looks different from each angle. This allows the brain to calculate the direction of sound.
OK, but two things: First, try to determine the direction of sound when you're in a cage -- sound bounces all over the place before it hits your ears, your brain won't know which direction the sound-maker is coming from because the sound waves are no longer directional. 2) Sound emanating from a bike exhaust is directional, it's all sent backward. Sure some is reflected forward however that's basically cancelled by the rear travelling waves unless your in a tight urban setting.

You get the full impact of 'loud pipes save lives' if you're following a bike, not if you're ahead or approaching one from the front.

I don't buy the 'saves lives 'argument. I ride alot, sometimes with other loud pipe pirates. In 45 years of riding the only thing I have seen loud pipes do is annoy others. I have yet to witness a single incident where an oncoming or beside driver yielded thanks to being notified by open pipes.

OK, but two things: First, try to determine the direction of sound when you're in a cage -- sound bounces all over the place before it hits your ears, your brain won't know which direction the sound-maker is coming from because the sound waves are no longer directional. 2) Sound emanating from a bike exhaust is directional, it's all sent backward. Sure some is reflected forward however that's basically cancelled by the rear travelling waves unless your in a tight urban setting.

You get the full impact of 'loud pipes save lives' if you're following a bike, not if you're ahead or approaching one from the front.

I don't buy the 'saves lives 'argument. I ride alot, sometimes with other loud pipe pirates. In 45 years of riding the only thing I have seen loud pipes do is annoy others. I have yet to witness a single incident where an oncoming or beside driver yielded thanks to being notified by open pipes.
To be fair, he did state urban environment. Even with the sound rebounding off the buildings it does alert everyone to an approaching bike to the area. Outside of that i agree, most situations it's pointless.

Shameless rip off of the giant squid attacking Captain Nemo's Nautilus, as written by Jules Vern a hundred years earlier, except Vern had electricity harvested straight from the ocean, using it as a giant battery :/ we still don't have that one yet.

Shameless rip off of the giant squid attacking Captain Nemo's Nautilus, as written by Jules Vern a hundred years earlier, except Vern had electricity harvested straight from the ocean, using it as a giant battery :/ we still don't have that one yet.
And yet, the ripoff was still one of the best films ever made. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom