looking to do a trip this weekend need advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

looking to do a trip this weekend need advice

silverbullet132

Plan is to ride to Detroit, hop on the I-75 and ride until I need to stop for the night. Then explore the area Saturday, sleep, and ride back Sunday.

Any areas along the I-75 that would be worth checking out? I don't mind riding awhile away from the hwy if its good :) Thanks!

u stealin the burgie? ;)
Might be better to cross at Buffalo and go along the south shore of Lake Erie -
Check the wait times at both border spots.
You then have the option of dropping south past Pittsburgh, check out Falling Water and there are lovely recreation areas just south of the city.

Last edited:
Is there a reason for the Windsor / Detroit crossing? If you're from TO the 401 is a bore, the border a nightmare and western Ohio boringly flat. I used to drive to Toledo once a month and hated it.

I'm with MacDoc in crossing at Buffalo and a half hour later the scenery starts to improve. Northern PA or eastern Ohio are cheap and entertaining.

Is there a reason for the Windsor / Detroit crossing?

I don't know what it might be. Maybe the OP likes superslab. If you must go through there, I suggest Sarnia over Windsor.
It's only an extra 20km but the US Customs there aren't anywhere near as nasty as Windsor. The 402 (while just as boring)
isn't as busy as the 401. Just gotta watch out for cops in Sarnia as they've lowered 402 speed limit from tolerable to stupid.

I'd fall asleep riding my bike to that sort of area....

I would not mind taking a picture here....with my bike...

GM-Renaissance-Center-Wintergarden.jpg

u stealin the burgie? ;)
Might be better to cross at Buffalo and go along the south shore of Lake Erie -
Check the wait times at both border spots.
You then have the option of dropping south past Pittsburgh, check out Falling Water and there are lovely recreation areas just south of the city.

Nope, taking the sabre :p, unless I can take the burgman :)
Modified the plan since, now is to ride I-75 down to Cincinnati then sleep for the night, spend Saturday riding east towards WV/PA then ride home Sunday through Niagara.

Is there a reason for the Windsor / Detroit crossing? If you're from TO the 401 is a bore, the border a nightmare and western Ohio boringly flat. I used to drive to Toledo once a month and hated it.

I'm with MacDoc in crossing at Buffalo and a half hour later the scenery starts to improve. Northern PA or eastern Ohio are cheap and entertaining.

No reason aside from getting south quick :p

I don't know what it might be. Maybe the OP likes superslab. If you must go through there, I suggest Sarnia over Windsor.
It's only an extra 20km but the US Customs there aren't anywhere near as nasty as Windsor. The 402 (while just as boring)
isn't as busy as the 401. Just gotta watch out for cops in Sarnia as they've lowered 402 speed limit from tolerable to stupid.

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

@frekeyguy where is that building?

change of plans completely, lol. here is the current route:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sour...2.924252,-76.311035&spn=7.802619,6.185303&z=7

Last edited:
2350 KM in 2 days!!!......you are going to be very stiff and sore....and bored. Good luck

You live in the East end - go east and down via Clayton - gonna cut a good deal off and that bridge is not busy.

Pretty ambitious trip plan there for 3 days. Hope it doesn't end in tears for you. If you do make it, you'll be dead tired and likely will be rushing to make your end-points for each day. Many good photo/stopping opportunities will be lost in the name of staying on plan.

I don't mind extending it, but at the moment 3 days is the plan.

According to google map it's 421 from Ajax via the 401 to Syracuse via heading east and with the wind you can add more speed again.

It's 448 going the direction you suggested and that's not counting your delay in Lewiston and the toll booths on the i90.......not to mention crossing Toronto
If you are leaving Friday morning why would you fight rush hour all across the GTA when you could be in Kingston in a heart beat counter traffic.
But it's your call.

A 1000 km day is not undertaken lightly. My riding partner was absolutely beat our first day up to Matagami which is 931 and we were not shy on speed up the 400.
Stitching 3 in a row on a bike not built for touring.....you really are at risk from fatigue.

Keep us posted....stay hydrated - that long in the saddle dehydration is a real risk.
You cannot ride late in some of the regions you are going through as there are deer everywhere at dusk and dawn.

Last edited:
Now rumour has it the smart route to Syracuse is Wolf Island ferry ( you can search on it here for details )

ScreenShot2011-08-24atAug24201193059PM.jpg

Cuts 50 km off the route and makes for a nice break......

http://www.wolfeisland.com/ferry.php

Lots of runs and takes 20 minutes and it's free....

then this to the US takes shorter time - $7 for motorcycle.

That gives you a nice break and then motor on down south.

http://hornesferry.com/location/schedule/

Last edited:
getting closer to doable but I'd do 117 north of Montreal and come into Ottawa from the Gatineau - it's a terrific run and can suggest a low cost place in Ottawa near my daughter. There is a review of that loop - its 400 km and might be the best riding of the trip - time it to get through Montreal away from rush hour.

Then a half day back home relaxed. 4.5 days

ScreenShot2011-08-24atAug242011112255PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom