Looking to borrow ECU of a 2017 or 2018 Kawasaki Versys 1000 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to borrow ECU of a 2017 or 2018 Kawasaki Versys 1000

I have an ECU to lend you.
What's your address, I'll ship it right over.

What could go wrong???

I hardly see myself calling him a liar...
There would be no percentage to that, but I would ask:
Can they sell you a new one and take your old unit in exchange?
and if they say yes; is it covered under the emissions control equipment extended warranty?

There would be no percentage to that, but I would ask:
Can they sell you a new one and take your old unit in exchange?
and if they say yes; is it covered under the emissions control equipment extended warranty?
An exchange on an electrical component happens all the time.

That's solid advice.

+1

What warranty? Mine is a 2017 and original warranty is over.
Wouldn't have to lie to go through such a process?

What warranty? Mine is a 2017 and original warranty is over.
Wouldn't have to lie to go through such a process?
"Emissions warranty covers specific items responsible for reducing tailpipe emissions. Major components, such the catalytic converter or engine control module, are usually under a long warranty that outlasts the powertrain coverage. Many people take their vehicles to other repair facilities once their warranty’s up. If you do, and your vehicle needs an emissions-related repair, check your warranty; the repair might be a no-charge fix at the dealer." How It Works: Warranties

... Reading back you said:
Last spring, I got my ECU remapped locally by a guy using Woolich Racing hardware and software.
so I have no idea if that would be considered tampering and you voided the warranty, probably yes.

"Last spring, I got my ECU remapped locally by a guy using Woolich Racing hardware and software."

Yes, its tampering - you're on your own.

No explicit separate emissions warranty on motorcycles in Canada. Really, this problem is on Woolich for neither recognising the problem nor providing proper software to address it and failing to back up the original software in the first place, but good luck with that. Options at this point are, find out what's up with the wiring harness and put in that resistor (including adding another pin to the plug in the designated location, if it's blank), or buy a new ECU.

Yes, its tampering - you're on your own.
My opinion also regarding a possible warranty.

No explicit separate emissions warranty on motorcycles in Canada. Really, this problem is on Woolich for neither recognising the problem nor providing proper software to address it and failing to back up the original software in the first place, but good luck with that. Options at this point are, find out what's up with the wiring harness and put in that resistor (including adding another pin to the plug in the designated location, if it's blank), or buy a new ECU.
I agree. I would add a third option which would be to find a 21175-1219 ECU and send it to Woolich to read the map. Then, Woolich would be able to solve my problem at the root.
However, finding this 1219 ECU is not easy and I understand why riders are reluctant to lend theirs.

Is yours the only Versys 1000 ECU of that vintage that Woolich has mapped? I'd call them again to discuss options to correct the situation that's been created by their bad map. Perhaps suggest that they backup original maps before updating, and the next time they get a matching ECU to call you so you can get yours restored. I'd suggest even calling other ECU mappers (ECU Unleashed?) to see if they can restore your original ECU map or sell the map to Woolich so they can fix yours free of charge.

Is yours the only Versys 1000 ECU of that vintage that Woolich has mapped? I'd call them again to discuss options to correct the situation that's been created by their bad map. Perhaps suggest that they backup original maps before updating, and the next time they get a matching ECU to call you so you can get yours restored. I'd suggest even calling other ECU mappers (ECU Unleashed?) to see if they can restore your original ECU map or sell the map to Woolich so they can fix yours free of charge.

In fact, it is not Woolich with whom I dealt; it is with a local tuner that use Woolich software/hardware. I already e-mailed Woolich (in Australia) and they confirmed that they do not have yet the bin file of my ECU 21175-1219. They indeed need such an ECU to be sent to them in order for them to retrieve the bin file.

All this being written, today, I spoke with the tuner I dealt with. Looks like he did not forget me as he told me he found the ECU I need that he will borrow from the Kawasaki dealer he knows the owner of.
He will have it sent oversea to Woolich's for them to read the bin file that he will finally download back in my ECU.

All in all, he admitted the first step for him should have been to send my ECU to Woolich the day he received it. He was sorry about this and I believe him. This guy do have a lot of experience and if all ends well (as both him and I are hoping), this will be a closed case. I don't want to tell who he is as anybody can make mistakes.

To be followed (hopefully before the end of 2019...).

Last edited:
Follow-up just to close the loop.
A I wrote in post #53, the guy found (and borrowed) a 2018 ECU (same as my 2017's) from a Kawasaki dealer and sent it to Woolich. It came back and I finally received a corrected ECU. I installed it and, as wished, the "engine" light goes off as soon as I started the engine.
I waited until yesterday as it was my first ride of the year and I'm pleased to say that all is perfect now.
I'm very happy that the guy supported me and finally solved my problem.

Back
Top Bottom