Looking to borrow ECU of a 2017 or 2018 Kawasaki Versys 1000 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to borrow ECU of a 2017 or 2018 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Claude

I am looking to borrow the ECU #21175-1219 from one of you guys that will store his Versys 1000 for the winter. From online catalogs, this 21175-1219 ECU is fitted on 2017 and 2018 canadian and US (non California) models. I would borrow it for a few weeks and send it back to you. Needless to say that I would pay shipping back and forth and would pay you a fee we can agree on.

If anyone is willing to help, please PM me and we'll agree on the conditions.

In case you would ask, the reason I need this ECU is written below.

*** Reason why I need this ECU ***
Last spring, I got my ECU remapped locally by a guy using Woolich Racing hardware and software. What he told me he did is to download a new map in my ECU and to turn off something like fuel cut-off to smooth out the throttle transition at low opening. The bike works great, as the smoother throttle operation is very noticeable and I really enjoy it. I do not regret this modification except for one thing: since then, the cluster's "check engine" yellow light is always on.

I returned to his shop and he tried to solve this problem but no success. He told me that the map he downloaded in my ECU is from a US California ECU. Those california bikes surely have some emission crap that we do not have in Canada and the "check engine" light is probably detecting some emission stuff missing (hoses and valves?) on my bike. Needless to say that I can't leave my bike as is. I rode it all summer long that way but I want to solve this during next winter.

The guy (and Woolich Racing) told me the only solution would be for Woolich Racing to get a 21175-1219 ECU, take the map file out of it, map file that would be sent to him to be downloaded back in my ECU.

... Those california bikes surely have some emission crap that we do not have in Canada and the "check engine" light is probably detecting some emission stuff missing (hoses and valves?) on my bike....
Evaporative emission recovery on the crankcase vent and a cat converter in the exhaust.
Do you still have an O2 sensor?

& do you have a wiring diagram for the bike, possibly in the owners manual?
because everything should be shown on there including the California required items.
... could not see a free one on the net for the 1000.

2012-kawasaki-versys-1000-service-repair-manual-6-638.jpg

Last edited:
Evaporative emission recovery on the crankcase vent and a cat converter in the exhaust.
Do you still have an O2 sensor?

& do you have a wiring diagram for the bike, possibly in the owners manual?
because everything should be shown on there including the California required items.
... could not see a free one on the net for the 1000.

2012-kawasaki-versys-1000-service-repair-manual-6-638.jpg
Still have the O2 sensor and the cat in the exhaust.
I prefer to solve the problem at the root that to modifying my bike to CA specs...
Thanks anyway.

Wasn't suggesting that you should add anything, only trying to find something that relates to the warning light.
Sensors can turn on a light, canisters, vents and hoses can't do that.

... I'm not seeing anything that indicates a Cali version would have additional sensor inputs. Electrical schematic may indicate otherwise.

Wasn't suggesting that you should add anything, only trying to find something that relates to the warning light.
Sensors can turn on a light, canisters, vents and hoses can't do that.

... I'm not seeing anything that indicates a Cali version would have additional sensor inputs. Electrical schematic may indicate otherwise.
Sorry, I did not see it the way you are now explaining it and it maybe make some sense.
I do have a wiring diagram (that I completely remade in colors...). I can see a "purge valve" that is written to be on "Equipped models". This valve do have two wires but I totally ignore what it does...

Wow. Just checked the parts diagram. The California model has an evap solenoid. First time I've seen a bike have one. Kawasaki Motorcycle 2018 OEM Parts Diagram for Fuel Evaporative System (CA) | Partzilla.com

What it doesn't appear to have, is a fault warning code that is assigned to the evap solenoid: https://adventuremotorcyclinghandbo...5/03/kawasaki-versys-self-diagnosis-codes.pdf

So ... Before you jump through hoops, retrieve the fault code (as explained on the page that I just linked to), and tell us what it is.

Brian, I made the procedure to retrieve the code.
However, I did it as per the repair manual pages 131 (last line) and 132 (first two lines) (links below) and it is 3A. According to page 136 (link below), the code is for:
"Purge valve malfunction, wiring open, or short to ground or power supply wire".

PROCEDURE
Self-diagnosis Procedures - Kawasaki Versys 1000 Service Manual [Page 131]
Kawasaki Versys 1000 Service Manual (Page 132 of 715)

RESULT
Backups - Kawasaki Versys 1000 Service Manual [Page 136]

So, all this seem to revolve around the purge valve.

Still accordingly to the repair manual page 194 (link below), the purge valve standard spec is 30~34 ohms.
Purge Valve (service Code 3a) (dtc P0443) (other Than Us, Ca, Id And Sea-b2 Models); Purge Valve Removal/installation; Purge Valve Operation Inspection - Kawasaki Versys 1000 Service Manual [Page 194]

Could it be as simple as installing a 32 ohms resistance between the two wires the purge valve should be connected to?

Worth giving it a go. Unfortunately it looks like there are two different part numbers for the main wiring harness. I don't know what the difference is, but it might be that the wiring from the ECU to the purge valve is missing. If the relevant wires are in the harness and the pin to the ECU is installed, it's easy. If the relevant ECU pin is missing from the plug, you will have to use some more imagination to make that work. The other side of the purge valve (and thus, your proposed resistor) connects to switched ignition power.

The CA wiring probably have the purge valge wires. My only hope is that my ECU do gave the purge valve pin. If this pin is missing from my ECU, it will be a show stopper for that option...
Thanks for your input!

The other side of the purge valve (and thus, your proposed resistor) connects to switched ignition power.
From my wiring harness diagram, the other wire connects to a wire that links another ECU's pin, the relay box and a part called "air switching valve".
I could e-mail you the wiring harness if interested to look by yourself.

Last edited:
The pin on the ECU is probably just looking for power, is unlikely it would look for a specific resistance during operation. There would be no percentage to design it that way.

... don't damage your ECU they are outrageous expensive.

The pin on the ECU is probably just looking for power, is unlikely it would look for a specific resistance during operation. There would be no percentage to design it that way.
Do you mean that it would be useless to wire in a resistor? Just bringing 12V power to the ECU pin would be sufficient?
If so, I'm wondering why the purge valve would have 30~34 ohms specs...

... don't damage your ECU they are outrageous expensive.
I know; more than $1500...
It's why I'm reluctant to try this...

Do you mean that it would be useless to wire in a resistor? Just bringing 12V power to the ECU pin would be sufficient?
If so, I'm wondering why the purge valve would have 30~34 ohms specs...

I know; more than $1500...
It's why I'm reluctant to try this...

Purge valve is an electro magnet relay, correct?
The relay is just a long coil of wire that has that much resistance.
Resistance is the normal way to trouble-shoot coil windings.
Applying a voltage directly to the valve and then blowing through the valve as also described in the manual tests the rest of that valves function.

... would be nice to see the diagram for the internals of the ECU, but they never show you that.

if that pin is wired to the purge valve
it's an output, not an input

so it won't be looking for voltage
it will be supplying it to actuate the valve (probably through a relay)
ECU's usually don't switch devices on or off directly on the output side

ECU will have an issue with an open - like you have
or short = excess current flow - and the logic will turn the output off
either of these states will throw the code you have

One thing is for sure, the valve operates off 12 volts or they wouldn't tell you to connect it to a battery to test it.

an ECU will have ONE (maybe 2) battery voltage supply terminal
I'd be very careful to avoid putting battery voltage to the wrong place

a resistor to an output should be safe
can you see on the schematic OP, where exactly that wire goes?
directly to the purge valve? or does it go to a relay?

The purge valve shows 2 wires, one is BR/W the second is R/Y
Near as I can tell from that horrible 2 page wiring diagram is that both wires end up back at the ECU

DO NOT connect that ECU pin to direct power! Through a resistor is fine, the resistor will limit the current. It probably doesn't need the exact resistance but err on the high side (to limit the current).

The way that circuit works is the same as how the ignition coil circuit works. One side is fed switched power (in this case via the EFI fuse and main EFI relay which in turn is switched power from the ignition key). The other side is switched to ground by the ECU. If the ECU doesn't want the valve on, it goes open circuit on that input. It sits at battery voltage but no current flows. If the ECU wants that valve on, it grounds that pin, then current flows but it relies on the resistance in the load to limit the current.

Back
Top Bottom