Looking for tips for multi-hour ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for tips for multi-hour ride

craftymarco

Hello everyone, I'm looking for tips on how to be prepared for gradually longer and longer rides. Eventually I do want to get into motorcycle camping and long-distance riding. I'm currently riding a R3, so not exactly comfortable, but since it's my first and only bike what can you do. Next weekend I plan on going camping with my family but want to take my bike instead. I won't be bringing any camp equipment with me, so will just have a backpack with me for water, and snacks.

We're going to Murphy's Point Provincial Park, it's about a 4.5-hour ride with all the additional roads I want to take, taken from the Best Roads thread, specifically the webpage "Great Ontario Bikeroads". On the way there I plan on taking Marlbank Rd, Desert Lake Rd, and Perth Rd 10, and on the way back Jones Rd. I've taken 3ish hour rides before, with a stop at about the halfway point, so I'm not too concerned with time on the bike, however, feel like I should be more prepared for the distance I'm going, especially with how far I'm going to be travelling away from the GTA area.

Aside from checking regular maintenance stuff before leaving, does anyone has any tips on stuff to bring, how to prepare, etc? Any other unrelated tips greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

1595763621582.png

Sounds like you have the right idea starting out easy and working your way up. At some point you'll need to find a way to attach camping gear to your bike. I found that the most challenging part.
Beaded seat covers look funny on a small sport bike, but it can be helpful.
Leave yourself lots of time so that you can take frequent breaks to walk and stretch. Hydrate.
8bb57cb93021b39d709ec6921927bd5d.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

Personally, I would avoid the 401, particularly anywhere west of Oshawa! I prefer to take any other road besides an expressway whenever I can. When we've ridden east we pretty much go straight east from Newmarket over to 115. It will take longer, but you can stop more often for breaks and rehydrate if it's hot.

Marlbank road is fun but you are dropping down on highway 41 so far south you will be traveling on mostly straight flat roads, it's all limestone south of Tamworth. If you stay a little more north you will be riding Canadian Shield terrain and encounter fewer small town speed zones. I don't think there is any construction happening on Mountain Road out of Tamworth right now, that's a fun ride to Parham . There is about 5k of construction on Arden Road (county#15) so that route is not so good for the next couple of weeks.

Wear earplugs
Use a hydration knapsack, especially when it’s hot out
Wear good quality gear to keep you comfortable
Check your chain, oil and tires before any trip or days ride. For trips longer than 1000km I will keep some chain lube on my bike.
Investigate some type of luggage for your bike so you don’t have to wear a knapsack.
For overnight trips, I like to fill up before I park the bike for the night so I have a full tank of gas to start my morning.

You will quickly find that 4.5hours is not a very long ride and that it requires little advance preparation, besides some routine essentials. Seems like you have it mostly covered.

Looks like a fun trip!!
Safe ride!

You are on the right track. Good ideas above. Shane is right, this sounds long when you are planning but after you hit the road you will be surprised how quickly it passes.

Another vote for avoiding the 401. Just so boring on a bike unless you really need to get somewhere quickly (and it sounds like you don't). For these kinds of trips, I often just pick a road heading in the general direction I want to go and turn when something looks interesting.

I would leave your house going north and take something like stouffville road east, go through port perry, take hwy 7 to havelock, run up 44, northeys bay road, 28. 504, down 62 and join the fun part of your route.

As distance climbs, try to find a few different body positions as that make a huge difference. Personally I like popping up onto the pillion seat. That changes the angle of every joint and you can still reach all the controls. If something hairy happens, it is quick to drop into proper riding position.

All good suggestions, would make one route up and another back.
There are some nice roads just above the 401 and also HWY past Grafton is nice too.

Here is my suggestion starting at the Lakeshore Route.

I don't know what the range of an R3 is like. I've had bikes that would easily cover that distance without stopping for gas, and I've had bikes that would not even make it halfway (present ride included). I don't personally know that route, and it could very well be fine, but the part where you get off the 401 at Belleville is a good example of a possible stretch with no gas stations. Just an example of something you need to think about when planning longer trips.

Other suggestions:
-When taking long trips, the sooner after sunrise you get started, the better. It decreases the pressure on you to arrive anywhere, and it can make the first leg where you have to actually leave the city much less of a slog.
-This does sort of rely on you giving yourself the room to do so, but taking breaks as often as you feel like it does a lot for your trip. Keeps you more awake, alert, relaxed. Even lets you take in your surroundings better. Some people take pride in being able to crack out a 1,000km day while only stopping for gas... just think about whether or not that impinges on your ability to enjoy the whole day.

All good suggestions, would make one route up and another back.
There are some nice roads just above the 401 and also HWY past Grafton is nice too.

Here is my suggestion starting at the Lakeshore Route.

This looks sweet I am going to hit this ride up. I am in kingston now so its right by me

Thanks for all the advice everyone, this community is pretty awesome, everyone is really helpful. I'll adjust my route according to everyone's advice, especially about the 401. I had some skepticism about taking the 401, especially for so long, as well. Mostly out of safety, since there are always huge tractor-trailers, and if there was a better way I'd much rather opt for that.

Marlbank road is fun but you are dropping down on highway 41 so far south you will be traveling on mostly straight flat roads, it's all limestone south of Tamworth. If you stay a little more north you will be riding Canadian Shield terrain and encounter fewer small town speed zones. I don't think there is any construction happening on Mountain Road out of Tamworth right now, that's a fun ride to Parham . There is about 5k of construction on Arden Road (county#15) so that route is not so good for the next couple of weeks.

I've never taken into account where the Canadian Shield is, thanks for the tip. Normally as a car drive no one really thinks about where they're actually going, other than getting to the destination as soon as physically possible. Now that I'm on a bike, never has it been more true that it's not about the destination, it's how you get there lol.

estions, would make one route up and another back.

Here is my suggestion starting at the Lakeshore Rout

awesome route, thanks a lot. I'll definitely take a look at this and make changes to my plan.

Also, how does everyone like to plan a route back? Do you start from scratch and look at all the roads you can take, or out of convenience take mostly the same roads there and back? The only concern I have is whether or not road conditions will be good, but it seems like that's all part of the experience.

Be prepared to encounter road construction anywhere right now, there are lots of road and ditch improvements happening this time of year even with the pandemic happening. You also see a lot more scattered thunderstorms this time of year and changing your travel route to detour around large storm fronts can really work well sometimes, weather forecasts are getting very good, like today :| I don't think I will need to water the garden today.

#33 between THE Ferry and Kingston (Bath area) there’s a wonderful chip wagon if your looking for a snack.

Its right on the water called FryWay 33 at Finkle Shore Park

1000 pkwy I just did a couple weeks ago and it’s a beautiful ride along the water.
its not very long so if needed you could do it both ways

If your riding in this heat then lots and lots of water.

Also, how does everyone like to plan a route back? Do you start from scratch and look at all the roads you can take, or out of convenience take mostly the same roads there and back? The only concern I have is whether or not road conditions will be good, but it seems like that's all part of the experience.
Plan a different route back using backroads as much as possible.

Here is a route back via Westport and Tamwworth with a slightly more northern route through Tweed, Campbellford and Rice Lake. With several options to connect with main roads south if you’re running late and need to get on the 401.

I'll adjust my route according to everyone's advice,
:eek:
1595856647576.png
couldn't resist.
401 is actually safer than secondary roads through towns and cross streets and left turning drivers however the safest spot is the fast lane and that's no place to be on an R3. Truck drivers are by and large professionals....just stay out their vortex in a cross wind....can get .....exciting.
Middle lane is okay ...don't stay in the slow lane ...that's a nasty spot with drivers exiting and entering. Try and find a vehicle moving at a speed you are comfortable with and stay a few carlengths back and stay with that spot. Have fun and in the heat these days....HYDRATE!

401 narrows down to 2 west lanes at Cobourg. If there is an accident or road work, your stuck in the heat. Hwy 2 runs along 401 on the southside as an alternate. There is a nice 401 OnRoute picnic table spot just before Port Hope. Stretch your legs!

Back
Top Bottom