Looking for first jacket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for first jacket

ModularGT

New rider wanting to purchase a new jacket for summer riding. Can anyone recommend a jacket that will hold up well in a spill, provide good airflow and keep the rider cool?

I'm not even sure if leather, textile or mesh is the way to go, can anyone provide the pro's and cons of each?

Also, I'm not even sure of how to pick out a good jacket, or what to look for. They all look great at the store, but don't know how they will perform once purchased and out on the street.

Last edited:
I'd look at something like a NEXO Monza or similar. It has leather along the arms where you're likely to encounter some pavement if you fall, and the rest is textile, making it light weight, breathable, and easy on the wallet compared to full leather jackets. Best of both worlds and good for starters.

Last I checked it also came with CE approved armour. Look for that. It's the european rating. Don't expect the spine armour that comes with any riding jacket to be anything more then a flimsy piece of soft rubber or foam.

Good fit, well vented, full sleeve liner, possibly rain proof, etc. There's lots to look for in a jacket.

My Wife and I bought Joe Rocket textile jackets first. Good quality, built in CE armor and zip out liners. She bought a scorpion textile next and I got a joe rocket mesh with a removable waterproof liner because when its 35 degrees outside I refuse to sweat or ride with a t-shirt, I've been high sided before, over a pickup truck that cut me off! I really like the mesh, it actually keeps me cool when riding, feels like 25 when its 35 out. We now both have leather jackets. Great protection but hot to wear in the heat, both Icons. Great attention to detail until you look at the cheap zippers.

The previous post has a great recomendation but not sure on the cost. Leather where it scrapes is a plus. We got our jackets ar Royal Distributing on sale. The textiles running about $100 and the leather about $250 on sale. The mesh I got for $75. I'd start with a textile as its very versitile, cool and warm when you need it and is easy on the wallet. Check for zippered pockets, good stiching, meaty zippers and zippered vents. Dont forget to get a pair of gloves too! Your hands are the first thing you throw out when you spill.

I bought a leather jacket at GP bikes earlier this season. The only time i find the heat to much is when im sitting at a traffic light, other than that, with the vent zippers open, i find it breaths very well.

as far as you purchasing and picking out a good jacket... when I went there I just ask the salesman the same questions you listed above and he helped me pick out a jacket that was perfect for me (price, color, fitment)

You may even wanna consider multiple jackets.. You could get away with leather and mesh or ballistic and mesh or all 3.. Here's my setup:
-Ballistic for cold weather.. Can be used for all-season riding
-Leather for moderate weather.. Can be used for all-season riding
-Mesh for hot weather, especially when it's 30+.. Keeps me cool even in slow-moving traffic

I went with a perforated 2 piece leather suit, yeah you get hot at a stop, or in slow traffic but anything over 30km/h is great. Useless in cold weather obviously, but that's why I have a non perforated jacket for the colder months. I use to have a pair of the Joe rocket mesh pants and those were like riding in shorts there was so much airflow, I'd assume the mash jackets are the same.

Re: Leather, Textile and Mesh

I too would also recommend textile if you will buy only one jacket. Textile is water resistant, can be warm in the spring and fall and with armour will protect in a fall.

I eventually bought 3 jackets: leather, textile and mesh. The leather offers the most protection, but is very hot at 30C. The mesh is excellent in weather above 23C. Both the mesh and textile jackets are usually one time use, meaning in a crash you should expect they will be destroyed. In a crash the mesh and textile jackets depend on the armour to absorb the shock and provide some slide protection, with the material keeping the armour in place. The material can abrade away.

Leather is best for protection, but I almost fainted on my bike at 30C wearing leather, which is when I decided a mesh jacket is a necessity. I also have mesh pants.

Whatever you decide, get the jacket you think you will wear all the time. Gear offers no protection hanging in your closet.

Thanks for the replies, I went and got a leather jacket. I got the Alpinestars One-O-One. It has perforated sleeves, zippered vents on top of the shoulders, vent on back, and if the front side pockets are open, they will allow airflow as well. The entire front of the jacket is solid leather though, so I'll have to wait and see if this jacket keeps me cool. It was the only jacket in the store that fit me decent, armor doesn't move around, jacket doesn't push up on my neck.

I feel like a made a good choice. If I find it too hot in 30C weather, then I will go get a mesh for short rides.

I purchased a Joe Rocket textile from Royal a couple years ago. I absolutely love it. It light weight, cool in the summer and when the temp is a little chilly I just throw on a light weight fleese jacket underneath and I'm good. I actually find it warmer than me leather Bristol jacket was when temps start to dip.

I like the Alpinestars products also. For Leather I use Alpinestars Stunt. But for temps above 25 deg cel its too hot unless most of the riding is at higher speeds. For really hot weather I use Icon Arc Mesh. It has leather on the sleves and shoulder area and CE approved armour (elbow and shoulder) and a back protector (not CE approved though). The only issue with the mesh jacket though, is that I find the pads can move around easily. Im hoping they will will stay in place if I ever need to use them. Not sure if most mesh jackets have the same issue.

Leather jacket, nothing moves around. Definately better quality.

Purchased both at GP Bikes. Excellent service, they took the time to explain things and showed me numerous jackets until we found what fit me best. Although I already had a good idea what I wanted before I went in the store. If you go online to Sport Bike Track gear. You can see numerous reviews and videos of most of the gear out there. Revzilla and Motorcycle Super Store are also good for doing research.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom