Looking for a plumber who services ... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for a plumber who services ...

Can't you just shut off the water pressure somewhere up line, cut the leak part out and install a brass union compression fitting?

how much pipe is damaged, is it a long split or other ?
Plastic pipe is easy to cut, use your swiss army knife, cut out the bad part, take it to local hardware store and tell them you need a brass thingy to patch it, or better yet use it as an opportunity to put a ball shutoff valve in there.

If its Kitec you cant just take out the spilt part and replace, you need to take it back to the first connection yoiu can find, which may be many feet from where the leak is. That whole length of pipe needs to come out. Good news it fishes through the walls pretty well, bad news is you may have to blow out some drywall.

Sorry to say its going to be expensive, the Kitec is a granade , it will leak shortly right behind the spot you fix.

If its Kitec you cant just take out the spilt part and replace, you need to take it back to the first connection yoiu can find, which may be many feet from where the leak is. That whole length of pipe needs to come out. Good news it fishes through the walls pretty well, bad news is you may have to blow out some drywall.

Sorry to say its going to be expensive, the Kitec is a granade , it will leak shortly right behind the spot you fix.

That’s what I keep hearing.

You sound like a Plumber

Reactions: J_F
Can't you just shut off the water pressure somewhere up line, cut the leak part out and install a brass union compression fitting?
Kitec is the devil. Sadly, the leak isn't the problem, the presence of kitec is. It was a failed experiment that requires tearing your house apart to get it out. Although you are correct, shut the water off to stop the immediate problem and you might be able to seal the current leak with some macgyvering, but as CC says, it will all leak soon enough.

A plumber would know better, but I would be inclined to run a 3/4" or 1" pex (depending on flow required) to manifolds at the vanity and then replumb fixtures from there instead of home-running all new pipe. It seems less destructive to me and gives you easy access to shutoffs for each fixture.

Last edited:
Not a plumber but I have bought a house with Kitec. (I knew that going in, price was reflective) . If your in your grandfathered, the next buyer would have to replumb the whole house to get home owners insurance ( grenade) . The class action lawsuit is settled and the last opportunity to join for the xxx per free standing house was January of this year.
My bill for a 2400 sq ft house was 12,000.00 , that was plumbed and redrywalled and did not include paint. Average in the gta is about 15 all in. Did I mention it was expensive?? It’s cancer and it has to come out, you can short cut it , but then just sit and wait for the next leak . Sorry .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Is about par with a travel trailer,
guess I just been doing it too long, remember how you used to pour the molten lead over the rope, that was about my first pluming lesson :|

Sorry to hear about this OP - hope you find a quick, effective resolution for this matter.
Might be worth looking out on Kijiji as well - especially if you prefer to pay cash and save some $$.

Last year when I was on the lookout for an investment property, I was this close to putting down an offer (Barberry Place)..however at the very last minute my agent revealed that the building was using Kitec plumbing and that management was going to cut out portions of drywall in each condominium unit as they work their way to the very top floor..after reading up on it online I was like F it..sounded like too much of a hassle despite the fact it was being subsidized..somewhat.
Given all the potential delays one could expect, it wasnt worth my time/mental cycles (even though the initial fee to be paid by each unit owner was around 2-3 k CAD).

Bit better than a travel trailer , most of those used a Gardenia style grey plastic tubing with stainless compression fittings in plastic nuts. The Kitec was a competitor to Pex , just the lower initial cost product, hence all the houses with it in.

Oakum, you poured lead over oakum to seal waste pipes If you used rope it probably worked but wasnt to code, in 1950.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I was like F it..sounded like too much of a hassle despite the fact it was being subsidized..somewhat.
Given all the potential delays one could expect, it wasnt worth my time/mental cycles (even though the initial fee to be paid by each unit owner was around 2-3 k CAD).

There was a class action settlement in 2012. If the owners did pay, chances are the condo board was double dipping.

Kitec Plumbing System Products Liability Litigation

Condo board probably wasn't double dipping, the settlements should offsethe costs related to getting rid of it but probably didnt cover the total cost. Especislly if there was plumbing in concrete. The claims forms are very detailed, behind drywall, exposed, buried in concrete all has to be disclosed.
I really liked the house I bought, we walked on two others that were lakefront in Newport (stoney creek) , the Kitec was enough, the 'new' lake levels flooding the basements was the deal breaker.
Condos.... a fresh hell when things need fixed.

Il Mostro - sorry for your bad fortune. I work in the Plumbing Industry , although not a contractor. If you live in a condo, you should make the building management aware of the problem. If you own a free-hold townhouse or a single residential home, and you are on the hook yourself, its going to be expensive as stated above. It will eventually leak everywhere. Its worse in high rise buildings, especially on re-circ lines. I deal with some contractors and all they do is re-pipe Kitec buildings. Probably not a job you want to take on yourself. Kitec fittings are almost impossible to come by anymore. The issue is most probably the pipe de-laminating. Then having a fitting isn't going to fix your problem.

Thanks everyone. I’ll have some people come by tomorrow.

I guess no new parts for me with my tax refund

The condo my Mom is in is going through the process currently to replace all the Kitec.
Kitchen and 2 bathrooms, nothing in concrete, complete job including painting is just under 5 grand per unit average.

Back
Top Bottom